logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FLBOY  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:11:23 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

Groups: Registered

Anyone have a recipe to make Yukon Jack?
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 1:19:37 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I don't have a recipe but from what i understand its just whisky(canadian) with honey.
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 2:19:15 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

It only took me 4 months to find this post, so im doing good...lol. I worked at a liquor store in college and it seems that southern comfort and yukon jack are both liquers made from apricote, and yukon is 100 proof while SC is much less. I recall both were not in the whiskey section, but in the cordial section. I cant lay my hands on my copy of Grossmans (too many books), but thats the way I recall it.

I dont know how this post missed my attention for so long...oh well.

Farmin
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 6:23:47 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Yukon and Southern were two of our favorites back in the day ... but only because they were the only 100 proof "whiskeys" that were readily available. As I recall, Southern used to be labeled with the words "sipping whiskey" or something like that. I believe they must have removed that due to the changes in the identity standards, given it's basically vodka plus flavoring. Then the 100 proof Southern seemed to just disappear. A few years back I was at a big liquor store and was just looking over all the various offerings and saw the 100 proof Southern once again. I bought a bottle, but decided it didn't suit me any longer ... it tasted sweeter than I remembered. Yukon always seemed to have that "thick palette" to me. Oh well, too late smart, too soon old! :)
Offline FLBOY  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 9:47:37 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

"There is actually a good recipe for Southern Comfort on this site. I think it calls for whiskey vs vodka. I have made it several times and compared it side by side to store bought and it is almost an exact hit.

Sometimes I like a shot of Yukon before bed. That is why I am inquiring about the recipe."
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 05, 2013 1:52:36 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

We made our own with some of our own burbon and just added fruit. after a couple of weeks we added honey after removing the fruit. My expert taster said it wasnt strong enough. I made it 70 proof. I am reading recent posts saying it should be aat least 100 proof. No recipe though. we just added fruit that we like.
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 9:28:01 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Hey JB, SC was the first thing I ever drank stronger than my dad's home made wine...which was hell for sweet and kicked like a mule! I recall sneaking a half pint into high school w/ me in my coat pocket, and I had more "friends " than I could handle. Only the pretty ones got to sample! LOL...
I haven't looked at a bottle in almost 20 yrs, but I thought it didn't say "whiskey" on the bottle...but hell I could be wrong. It was the early 90's, a lot has changed since then.
Farmin
Offline John Barleycorn  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 9:46:08 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hey Farmin,

I could be wrong about the bottle as well ... maybe I'm thinking of something else. For me it was middle-late 70s. Most of the lads were smoking weed ... but I was a jock, so it was normally just the occassional kegger during the off season (to ensure we were getting adequate complex carbohydrates for a healthful diet).:) The holidays and summers brought a fair share of SC and Yukon though ... and of course a lot of unidentified liquor in those larger gerber jars."
Offline Hokey  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 11:12:46 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am a big So Co fan. for a long time I thought it was bourbon based. It is however a neutral with various fruits and spices.