logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:36:31 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Groups: Registered

"Hey all, I'm finally gonna try the GW all grain Rye. I looked around and found a recipe that calls for 3 lbs of grain for every gallon of water. I ground up 9lbs of rye, added 4 1/4 lbs cracked corn, and 3/4 lb of malted barley, and it almost fills a five gallon bucket! I have a 6 gallon fermenter, but it looks like adding 5 gallons of water will overfill it.

Anyone wanna ring in and comment on the grain bill? Sound like too much? I wanted to try an all grain, then a sugarhead ala Muadbib and compare the two. I did a search of all grain on here, but didnt find what I was looking for.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Farmin"
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:56:54 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Well, i never would've thought you could put five gallons of water and 15 lbs of crushed grains in a 6 1/2 gallon barrel, but i guess you can. Reminds me of the song...ten pounds of sugar in a five pound sack...lol!

I soaked the grains last nite in 2 gallons of room temp backset, and this morning the grains had already started getting "slick" from sugar. I added 2 1/2 gallons of boiling water and stirred for about 10 mins...i need a stone, and this adventure may cause me to invest in one.
I tasted the mash before capping it and it was not as sweet as my sugar/water recipe, but sweeter than i expected. I wrapped the fermenter up in blankets and will check it tomorrow and add some vitimens and such.

Farmin
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:56:27 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Well, i gave up on stirring with my hoe handle, this stuff is too thick, and broke down and got me a thin set mixer. Man!, why did I wait so long? I'm in love with it already. I gave the mash a good blend yesterday, and also got me a aquarium pump and aerated for about 7 hours. Today, flying by the seat of my pants, I added some crushed vitamin B, some epsom salt, and my yeast, a blend of DADY and Fleishmans. It turned cool here again, highs in the 60's, but hopefully it will warm up to the 70/80's and this thing will take off.

Btw, this is the first time I've added the backset but not yeast right away, and I noticed the mash with cold, old backset was fermenting pretty well yesterday morning. Someone on here said they use only backset to ferment, no added yeast, and maybe this is something to try again.

I've added backset many times, but always followed up with yeast so the fermenting wasnt a surprise then. I'm surprised the backset had any live yeast in it; after being brought to distill temp.....any thoughts on that??

Farmin
Offline muadib2001  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:03:01 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
I've added backset many times, but always followed up with yeast so the fermenting wasnt a surprise then. I'm surprised the backset had any live yeast in it; after being brought to distill temp.....any thoughts on that??

Wild yeast? Just a thought...
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:19:50 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Yea, Muadib, I thought of it being wild yeast...is that a good or bad thing??
Farmin
Offline muadib2001  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:32:14 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

I don't know. I think some actually do count on the wild yeast to do the ferment. I would rather be certain that my ferment was going according to plan than chance what might show up... any nasty infections included. Just my 2 cents.
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:51:11 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Yea, i usually dont let the backset sit around, i either use it or toss it. But life's a little hectic lately and when i finished my last run i wasnt as prudent about cleaning up, then decided to use it in this mash. I didnt think about wild yeast or infections. I guess I'll cross my fingers for luck and hope this isnt a learning experience. How was your rye? Would you run it again? Any changes?
Farmin
Offline muadib2001  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:19:57 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
How was your rye? Would you run it again? Any changes?

Dunno about the taste, it's still aging, in & out of the 'fridge. I'll run it again, just to use up some of the rye before it goes rancid on me. Changes? Grind the rye, or at least crack it. I went by my original recipe, so too much grain. I halved the grain bill in my recipe, hopefully before anyone started a ferment. With the grinding/cracking of the grain and the recipe as it stands now, I think it'll be a keeper.