logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:02:55 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"This recipe is a spin on the tried and true ""Deathwish Wheat Germ"" (DWWG) recipe that appears on various forums, most notably posted HD by tater. You can find (what I believe is) the original recipe at:

http://homedistiller.org...opic.php?f=14&t=4909

The original recipe is very simple and very reliable. It has been vetted for over five years by many hobbyists and there is a wealth of information, threads, comments, and suggestions should you need any support. This spin of the original recipe is an attempt to simplify it further. I'll provide some additional posts with background information that may be of interest.

The ingredients for a 5 - 6 gallon wash are very simple:

10 lbs. sugar
12 oz. raw wheat germ
1 tsp citric acid (or about 2.5 oz. of juice from a lemon)
baker's yeast
tap water

[ATTACH=CONFIG]774[/ATTACH]

The process is simple: Bring about 2 gal of water to a boil then slowly stir in the wheat germ. Bring the water to a rolling boil once again, then cut back your heat to maintain a slow gentle boil for 90 minutes. Just before the 90 minutes of cooking is finished, dump the sugar into a sanitized fermenting bucket along with 1 tsp of citric acid (or about 2.5 oz. of freshly squeezed lemon juice). When the wheat germ has finished cooking, dump the contents of your pot (water and wheat germ) into your fermenting bucket and stir until all of the sugar is dissolved. Then use cold tap water to top off to around 5 - 6 gallons. Pitch about 8 tbs of baker's yeast once the temperature is below 32 C (around 90 F). Usually, the addition of the cold tap water will bring the wash temperature down low enough that you can pitch your yeast almost immediately. I just sprinkle the dry yeast evenly over the surface of the wash.

To avoid any spill over, you may want to leave the lid of your fermenting bucket loose for the first day. Once the kraussen and the foam settles you can then lock it down and just let it finish.

You can strip two or three of these washes, then do a final spirit run. When you strip, bring it down to at least 20% so you can bring more flavor forward on your spirit run (pot still). Folks have reported using this wash for a neutral, but it seems like extra effort compared to a Birdwatcher's for that purpose.

Some folks report preferring the final product white, others like it on oak. You'll have to decide for yourself. But many report a nice delicate flavor and that the wheat can in fact, be detected. My tastebuds aren't that sophisticated yet, but I do like it.

A note on the boil volume: There's nothing special about using 2 gallons of water to boil the wheat germ. You can use more, or you can use less. Personally, I use 2 gallons because that's what will comfortably fit in my small stock pot. If I were to use more boil water I would have to use my 40 qt. stockpot ... and I don't want to be bothered with cleaning the beast ... it's a PITA. If I were to use less water, I'd have to spend more time stirring to dissolve the sugar. That's all it is. One of the finge benefits of using less boil water is that I can add 3 - 4 gallons of cold tap water to top-off. Since the faucet has an aerator screen, I don't need to aerate ... it's already done for me. Also, the cold tap water brings the wash temperature down enough so I can pitch the yeast immediately after topping off. So it's all a matter of conserving effort ... it has nothing to do with getting good nutrient extraction from the wheat germ.

More to follow ...
--JB"
John Barleycorn attached the following image(s):
wgw-ingredients-sm.jpg (83kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:37:35 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Many people are aware of the health benefits of wheat germ. It has all sorts of stuff that helps humans. Many of those same things are great for yeast. Here's an overview.

First, what is the "germ?" Basically, it's the embryo of the seed. It composes only about 3% of the grain's total weight (if you include the husk, the bran, etc). But it's packed with good stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]777[/ATTACH]

Here's a list of the vitamins and minerals that are needed for proper yeast nutrition along with the approximate amounts of each that are contained in our 12 oz. of wheat germ

Component

Weight (mg)

How yeast uses it

Nitrogen see below Energy source
Phospate
Cell membrane development, cell metabolism
Potassium
Utilization of phosphate
Biotin (vitamin H)
Synthesis of proteins, fatty acids, nucleic acids
Panothenic acid (Vitamin B5)
Metabolism of sugars and lipids
Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
Cell growth
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
Cell growth
Niacin (Vitamin B3)
Cell wall support
Inositol
Cell division
Calcium
Mineral, general cell health
Copper
Manganese
Zinc

Now, we know about yeast and its need for free amino nitrogen (FAN). The germ itself doesn't contain any. However, a more general term, yeast assimilable nitrogen (YAN) is more appropriate in our case. YAN is the combination of ammonia and free amino acids that are metabolically available to yeast. Basically, yeast can assimilate nitrogen from both inorganic (ammonia -- like from DAP) and organic forms (amino acids). The most notable for yeast is arginine. The good news is that our 12 oz. of wheat germ contains a whopping 6.4 grams of arginine. So we should be adequately covered on this front.

So you can see that wheat germ is like a multi-vitamin for yeast. At approximately 3 USD/lb (you can probably get is cheaper), why ever bother with a turbo again? It's all natural, has lots of great stuff, and if you don't use it for your hobby, you can toss some in with the next batch of cookies you make or sprinkle it on your oatmeal.

Edited by moderator Sunday, January 04, 2015 11:30:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wheat-kernel.png (31kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:43:06 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"The original recipe calls for a 90 minute boil. Several posters tried a shorter boil time and reported slower fermentations.

Now on to speculation and anecdotes, but they sound reasonable. The argument for the longer boil (other than the reports of slower fermentation) is that it simply takes time to extract the nutrients from the germ. When we eat germ, our bodies have all sorts of enzymes working to do this for us. Since we're just using plain old boiling water, you'll just have to give it adequate time ... and 90 minutes appears to be adequate. Think of it a bit like boiling rice or potato ... you have to give the water time to do its job.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]780[/ATTACH]

During the boil just be careful of boil-overs. You will get a hot break from all of the protein in the germ (it has roughly 25% protein)."
wgw-boil-sm.jpg (59kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:08:39 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

You'll find lots of discussion about inverting sugar prior to using it in your wash. Some say it's easier for the yeast to metabolize, but I haven't found any scientific evidence to support that claim. I think (opinion ON) some of this is due to the relative sweetness of inverted sugar(opinion OFF). The following table may help. It's based on table sugar (sucrose) having a relative sweetness of 100.

Source Relative Sweetness
Sucrose

Fructose

High Fructose Corn Syrup
120-160

Glucose
70-80

Maltose
30-50

So, you can see that from a sensory point-of-view, fructose tastes sweeter than regular old sugar.

When sugar is "inverted" it's broken down to glucose and fructose. There are two basica ways to do this: (1) via acid hydrolysis and (2) using enzymes. The citric acid plus really hot water can invert sugar via acid hydrolysis. Candymakers, jelly/jam makers have know about this for a long time ... they like their sweets to be ... well ... nice and sweet. But our perception of sweetness is irrelevant to our yeast.

Yeast breaks down sucrose via invertase so it's already well equipped to deal with our sugar. Now you may argue that all that invertase floating around our wash will lead to an "off" flavor. The problem with the argument is that invertase remains within the cell membrane. In addition, invertase production within the cell is regulated by the presence of glucose ... not sucrose. So even if our wash was 100% glucose, the invertase would still be produced.

In the original recipe, the sugar, citric acid, and wheat germ were all boiled together. This may have been purely a matter of convenience (the person who came up with the recipe had big brew pots and a capable stove top). My point is: don't read too much into things. Short of interviewing the original recipe author (if we can identify who that really is), there's really no way to know why they may have decided to do things in any particular manner. I don't boil everything together and it hasn't made a difference as far as I can tell. If you want to boil everything together ... have at it ... it certainly won't hurt anything.

So why use citric acid at all? Well, if you don't care about inverting your sugar (I don't), it'll bring the pH of your wash down some ... closer to what the yeast prefer.

Edited by moderator Sunday, January 04, 2015 11:30:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bushy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:10:49 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi JB, Thanks for this post, it's a good informative read. As to boiling it all together or separating the sugar out I've done it both ways and find no difference in the end product.

I agree with you on running it down to 20% on the first run through. It will add flavor on the spirit run. I found this out in making rum, which is what I've been concentrating on lately. My first few runs I was only stilling down to 40% and was'nt as much flavor as I wanted. SOOO I lowered my cut off point and ended up with more flavor. Not as much as I want yet so I'm modifying the still to try for that extra little bit.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:39:04 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Bushy,

Tell us about what yeast strains you've tried with this recipe. I've only ever used baker's yeast since it's so inexpensive (I can pitch lots of it) and the fermentation seems so healthy and hearty. ... and I've always considered this one of those ""back to the basics"" type of recipes, so the baker's yeast seems appropriate.:)

Here's the wash two hours after pitching the baker's yeast:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]781[/ATTACH]

I've been tempted to try a wine yeast (like an EC-1118), or even a lager yeast but didn't want to mess with something that I already like. Comments? Suggestions?

What about your impressions after oaking as well?

--JB"
wgw-kraussen-sm.jpg (69kb) downloaded 0 time(s).