logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline poppy-cob  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:53:00 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

Groups: Registered

I've got 5 lbs of corn malting and I'm looking to find out what would be the ideal sg after all ingredients have been added before pitching.........and I'm using distiller's yeast (DADY)........Confused
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:01:46 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

you really need to supply details------ malting corn is a diferent process than mashing
Offline poppy-cob  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:08:15 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

"your right......my bad. I want to run a straight corn mash and would like to end up with 10 gals for the boiler.

5 lbs corn malt
10 lbs sugar
10 gals well wtr
distiller's yeast

your right, I'm new at this........maybe I'm asking stupid questions or the wrong questions or just wording them wrong either way I'd like to do this the best I can........."
Offline chrisknight  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:45:38 AM(UTC)
chrisknight

In order to convert that corn in the mash, you'll need some 2-row or 6-row barley.
1.060 - 1.080 might be a good SG goal.
In my opinion, if you're using flaked maize/malted corn, you need to mash 70% corn and the rest barley, or barley and rye malt. Don't add sugar. But, I'm an AG snob... LOL

It looks like if you use 5lbs corn (and get it to convert) and 10 lbs (brown) sugar you'll have in 10 gal water about 1.061 SG at 75% extraction effinciency.
2 pounds of 2-row barley (to mash the corn) will give you about 1.066 SG
Offline poppy-cob  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:57:47 AM(UTC)
poppy-cob

"
Originally Posted by: chrisknight Go to Quoted Post
In order to convert that corn in the mash, you'll need some 2-row or 6-row barley.
1.060 - 1.080 might be a good SG goal.
In my opinion, if you're using flaked maize/malted corn, you need to mash 70% corn and the rest barley, or barley and rye malt. Don't add sugar. But, I'm an AG snob... LOL

It looks like if you use 5lbs corn (and get it to convert) and 10 lbs (brown) sugar you'll have in 10 gal water about 1.061 SG at 75% extraction effinciency.
2 pounds of 2-row barley (to mash the corn) will give you about 1.066 SG

ok thanks,.....one more question, can barley malt extract be used instead of barley malt...I know, another dumb question.......please foregive me oh wize ones"
Offline chrisknight  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 11:53:54 AM(UTC)
chrisknight

Nope. You can use extract to up the gravity, just like sugar. However, because the extract itself was once wort that has been boiled down, this boiling has already killed the enzymes you need for mashing. Good question.
Offline poppy-cob  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2013 2:15:47 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

Okydoky............off on a search for some barley malt...........thanks, pc
Offline SpecialtyEnzymes  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 12:24:17 PM(UTC)
SpecialtyEnzymes

I don't mean to disagree, but i believe he said he was working with corn malt to begin with. To what degree the corn has actually been malted in the house is not within my power to divine, but if the corn has been properly malted or even germinated, the endogenous enzymes should have been activated enough to convert the starch to sugar without supplementation of barley malt.

Of course if the corn has not been malted, or is just raw, it will require supplemental enzymes. For which barley malt is a great provider.
Offline poppy-cob  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 2:03:39 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

"
Originally Posted by: SpecialtyEnzymes Go to Quoted Post
I don't mean to disagree, but i believe he said he was working with corn malt to begin with. To what degree the corn has actually been malted in the house is not within my power to divine, but if the corn has been properly malted or even germinated, the endogenous enzymes should have been activated enough to convert the starch to sugar without supplementation of barley malt.

Of course if the corn has not been malted, or is just raw, it will require supplemental enzymes. For which barley malt is a great provider.

Thank You........I was under the impression that the malted corn would do the trick and nothing else was needed.......as of today I have 70 to 80 precent sprouts on 20 lbs of corn......dry it, crack it and mash it.......my plan was to do this batch like a squirrel squezzing, fish fondaling, tree hugger............the all natural way....but I donno maybe I'm wrong"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:40:22 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"poppy,

Shoot and fricassee the squirrel, fillet the fish and smoke it with that tree you were hugging ... then wash it all down with some of your corn liquor ... it's all natural ... you won't be disappointed! Wink

--JB"
Offline chrisknight  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:48:24 PM(UTC)
chrisknight

Specialty, I respectfully disagree sir/ma'am. You will get conversion working with just corn malt. However, you will have starch left over. Especially with "home made" malt due to the varying degrees of sprout/malt success from kernel to kernel. Tryi
Offline poppy-cob  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:57:59 PM(UTC)
poppy-cob

WOW.......not sure what all those numbers mean...I'm still in my first semester of brewing 101 but I'll take your word for it....Confused
Offline SpecialtyEnzymes  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:32:30 AM(UTC)
SpecialtyEnzymes

Chris.

Well we are getting to the "splitting hairs" stage of things, that is not an area where I am going to tread. He mentioned corn malt, that has enough diastatic power to convert itself given enough time, that was the end of the story as far as I ca