logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline michael t  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 11:17:38 AM(UTC)
michael t

Groups: Registered

I'm new at all this but enjoyin it real good. I just got a 32 qt. pot & want to know how much shine should be produced in a run? I use 15# sugar 5gal. water, corn chops & 32 g. yeast. It tastes grand but seems to me there should be more than 7 qts.
100 proof. Help.
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:22:14 AM(UTC)
Bushy

All depends on how your running it. Are you running through a pot still or a reflux? Also is that 5 gallons total mash or is that 5 gallons of water plus ingredients makeing it about 7 gallons of mash?

If your running 5 gallons of mash then depending on how it's run you can expect somewhere between 3.5 and 5.5 quarts, including heads, hearts, and tails.
Offline michael t  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:07:32 AM(UTC)
michael t

Hey-thanks! I use the 30 qt. pro II from Brewhaus, as a pot extractor. I use a 7 gallon bucket with 5 gallons of water & ingredients. I'm real pleased with the product.
Offline Bushy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:30:16 AM(UTC)
Bushy

If you take the ABV of your mash and multiply that times gallons of mash you will get the total amount of alcohol in the mash. You can't recover all of the alcohol in the mash at 100% ABV. You will get more product at a lower % with more flavor when run through a pot still and less product at a higher % and less flavor when run through a reflux still.

Unless your running your pot hard and fast you should be able to pull 140 proof off a pot still without a problem. If run hard and fast you will have the heads and tails smeared across the hearts.