logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline chooch  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:06:02 PM(UTC)
chooch

Groups: Registered

I was searching around for various products like rye, corn etc etc and what I see is that on line you can only buy certain amounts say 20 lb of rye. While I want to try the GW Whiskey I dont want to have the other 17 lbs just sitting around...and what if I dont like rye? That is a conundrum! Is there a way that we, as a community, can share ingredient's? I'm open for ideas on this. Mod's? Any input?
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:41:57 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
"BH has 5 pound increments when they are in stock... Amazon had a 1 to 5 lb size;

http://www.amazon.com/Ba...&keywords=flaked+rye

Or

http://www.amazon.com/Fl...&keywords=flaked+rye

now that said, I found a local homebrew beer shop that had Rye by the pound for 1.76 USD."
Offline chooch  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:19:01 AM(UTC)
chooch

Yes I seen those but its flaked and I'm into whole grain which I see they also have. It used to be that there were alot of brew shops around now not so many and the one that is relativity close to me does not have grains just the typical hops,malt and barley pre packaged...but thats what I mean if someone did have access to cheap grains like you said above that would cut cost consideribly. Thanks for the links, I'll explore different avenues.
Offline RCRed  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:28:07 AM(UTC)
RCRed

There's also an organic provider up in Nebraska, but them fools want 70 bucks for 38 pounds, shipped in a 5 gal LDPE bucket with an airtight lid, they offer flaked and whole.

My local shop was the same, whole or flaked, but I read here that it needed to be broken or flaked for max results, so I got mine flaked (they did it while I watched and got to savor the flavor) ....If BH had it in stock, I woulda bought from them, but oddly they seem to be outa some of the GW ingredients - Guess it's popular!
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:51:05 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: RoyseCityRed Go to Quoted Post
There's also an organic provider up in Nebraska, but them fools want 70 bucks for 38 pounds, shipped in a 5 gal LDPE bucket with an airtight lid, they offer flaked and whole.

My local shop was the same, whole or flaked, but I read here that it needed to be broken or flaked for max results, so I got mine flaked (they did it while I watched and got to savor the flavor) ....If BH had it in stock, I woulda bought from them, but oddly they seem to be outa some of the GW ingredients - Guess it's popular!

flaked ????:)
Offline chooch  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:03:14 AM(UTC)
chooch

I know some think they have buckets o' gold. I have a grinder thats why I prefer the whole grain, looks like I'm going to have to go for the flaked for the GW. Yeah I checked BH also...your right must be a popular one
Offline RCRed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:03:19 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
flaked ????:)
They called it flaked, but to me, it looked like a coarse grind as they ran mine thru...

BH has flaked here: http://www.brewhaus.com/...ed-Rye-5lbs-P876C99.aspx

now, that product pix looks like it's been rolled, like oats... Isn't the important part that the shell is cracked?

Originally Posted by: chooch Go to Quoted Post
I know some think they have buckets o' gold. I have a grinder thats why I prefer the whole grain, looks like I'm going to have to go for the flaked for the GW. Yeah I checked BH also...your right must be a popular one
Well, the whole grains are out there too...

Here is the one up in Nebraska:

http://www.pleasanthillg...yjiam8xbUCFQ4GnQodMX4AmA

(btw, their prices also include the shipping -but it's unique to where ya live)
Offline admin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:36:01 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Don't confuse crushed with flaked. You want to crush whole grains (break the grain into a few pieces). Flaked grains are put through hot rollers to gelatinize them. They are used in two different ways.
Offline RCRed  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:26:03 AM(UTC)
RCRed

aye - Just so I have it right in my mind - Flaked - one doesn't have to "cook" or steep, where cracked must be "cooked" or steep'ed to release the gelatin?
Offline admin  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:46:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Correct. Flaked grains are ready to be tossed directly into your hot mash water- no boiling required.
Offline chooch  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:59:37 AM(UTC)
chooch

Originally Posted by: RoyseCityRed Go to Quoted Post
aye - Just so I have it right in my mind - Flaked - one doesn't have to "cook" or steep, where cracked must be "cooked" or steep'ed to release the gelatin?

Then tahe really seems to be alot eaiser to toss them in during cool down rather than "cook" them for 60 - 90 minuets. I guess I'm going to have to re think using the whole grains - Thanks Rick for that heads up :)