logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hokey  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:20:37 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Okay here is my 7th wash. Kind of what Heeler showed us in another section of this forum a while back. I heated 1 gal of h2o and added 8 oz. Gerber wheat baby food, 2 tsp of epsom salts, 3 tsp distiller nutrients, juice from 1 lemon and 3 dissolved Beano tablets. Simmered for 10 - 15 min. In fermentor I put 3 1/2 gals warm h2o and added 5 lbs of cane sugar. Stirred till dissolved. Hydrated 2 pkts Fleischmans yeast in 1 qt slightly warm h2o, 1/4 cup sugar and a tsp of nutrients. I added the gal of Gerber to fermentor and stirred briskly w/ a whisk to aerate just in case. Temp was around 100 degrees so I placed it outside with a plastic bag full of ice in in to cool to 80*. At that time I added the hydrated yeast and locked it down. Recipe called for 7 lbs of sugar and 5 gals of h2o but I plan to wait 2 days for the last 1/2 gal of h2o and 2 lbs of sugar. Which I will dissolve w/ a little more nutrients.
Sound logical???

Here's and update. Day 3. Added the dissolved sugar and tsp of nutes and boy did it fizz. Smelled real nice. Locked it down and it is still bubbling almost every sec. I've got a way to go though. Looking forward to the final product.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:24:09 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

sounds like your Gerber wash is going very nicely. I started my first Gerber wash after reading Heelers post. In fact I just racked it off superbowl Sunday i'm going to let it clear out this week and run it this Saturday. I can't wait to try it. It smells good. I plan to run it in my pot still.
From reading your post the only thing I did differently was i added 8oz wheat gerber and 10 lbs of suger to the bucket boiled 2 gallons of water added two tsp of epsom salt and poured that over the gerber and sugar stirred it all in real nice added 3 beanos which were in power form added some lemon juice added cold water let it sit over night and the next day i added three packs of fleischmans yeast. sealed it up and away it went to bubbling. I'll let ya how how it run goes next week.
Offline Hokey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:27:22 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Hi Johnny, I can't see where he slight differences in our method will make a big difference in the end result. did you take gravity reading? It would be interesting if there was a difference. Mine, before pitching, was 1.055.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:06:26 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

yeah i really don't either. My reading before pitching was 1.060. It took my wash 23 days i believe it was to finish out. I was in no hurry.
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 8:11:19 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
How'd that Gerber likker come out?? Anything to talk about and would you do it again?
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 9:07:52 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I'll be distilling it tomorrow. I'll let ya know but it looks/smells great! I may build a parrot beak tomorrow while i'm in the garage. lol might as well try it.
Offline Hokey  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:04:47 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Hi Johnny, Did cook today? I racked mine off yesterday and used 2 stage clearing agent. final gravity was .994. Last night we got slammed with over 2 feet of snow. so I have not even looked at it today. too busy clearing driveway and path to hot tub. snow vs hot tub, tub wins every time. lol Let us know how it turns out.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:13:32 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Heeler / Hokey
I did distill the gerber wash Saturday. The temps were in the mid 50's here. It definitely tastes different than the corn and sugar washes that i've done in the past. I couldn't tell if that was due to the yeast that i used or if it was the wheat gerber. I'm going to start another wash soon but this time i'm going to use EC-1118. None the less i'm very impressed with the outcome. I may have to add this to my regular rotation. I ran it a tad faster than i normally so my first few 200ml's were at 120 proof 60%abv then it went down slowly I stopped collecting at 70 proof 35%abv. those tails will be poured back into the still on my next run. I did run this batch off using my still in pot mode not reflux.
My ujsm is done now to so i should be running it off this weekend. This should tie me off for the rest of the winter. nah who am I kidding. lol

On the Parrot beak that i was planning to work on as well this past weekend was a no go. I went to lowes and all they had was a 3/4 copper pipe at 16" which would have been fine. But they did not have any reducers that would fit over the 3/4 to use as the overflow cup. so i've put this project on hold until i can gather all the parts that i need. Hokey I hope that your wash turns out as good or better than mine. I also hope that you like it. good luck and i can't wait to hear your results.
Offline Hokey  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:59:55 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Hi, I ran my wash yesterday. I started with a couple less lbs of sugar than you so It took less time to ferment to below 1.000. I was not too careful how much I collected (with my little air still) because I planned to run it a second time today. Which I am doing right now and it is coming off at 72% and very tasty when cut to 50%. I will definitely be using this recipe again but with ten lbs of sugar next time. Simple recipe with great results. Parrots are a handy device and not hard to make at all.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:25:32 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I took a quart of 100 proof Gerber wheat shine to my friends house this evening. I hadn't tried any of this since the day I distilled it. Oh man its so smooth. the crowd loved it. I'll definitely be making more of this.
Offline chooch  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:07:20 AM(UTC)
chooch

Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
I took a quart of 100 proof Gerber wheat shine to my friends house this evening. I hadn't tried any of this since the day I distilled it. Oh man its so smooth. the crowd loved it. I'll definitely be making more of this.

Did you age it at all?
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:41:29 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I distilled it last Saturday, I let it sit for a couple days then I found the good jars and cut that to 50 abv. Sealed the lid on it and put it in my cabinet until this past Friday. I have another quart put away for that snowy day or hot date.
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:22:42 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
A whole quart for -- A -- hot date. Dont you want her to be conscious????
Offline Hokey  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 4:16:04 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Do you mean they are supposed to be? haha