logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 6:01:37 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

"Hey all--

First of all, Id like to thank everyone for their help and input so far, thanks to you all (yea Im talkin to you Heeler and John Barleycorn BigGrin) Ive come a LONG way since I first started!!

Anyhow, I have an apple mash brewing, I think it was one of Heelers, 10 lbs sugar, 2 gallons Apple Juice, 2 1/2 gallons water, about 4 tbsp of distillers yeast. Put it together probably 48 hours ago and some change. My initial SG was approx 1.115, its only at 1.110 currently. Not as thick of a top bubble coating as Ive seen in past mashes, and not as strong of a smell 2 1/2 days into it either. Is this normal for some mashes, am I just too impatient?? CoolCool"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 6:04:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

how do you sanitize and aerate???
Offline Tracyman0111  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 8:42:07 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
how do you sanitize and aerate???

I use food-grade plastic buckets, which I just wash with Dawn and warm water when Im done with a mash. As far as aeration, I just gently stir it a few times a day. Ive had some pretty good mashes so far, havent changed a thing from any other mash Ive done.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:54:09 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Noone has any input?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:32:39 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Tracyman,

What is the brand/type of your yeast? And did you make a starter or did you just add the dry yeast directly to your wash?

The reason I ask is that the gravity is high and some yeast strains are sluggish in that environment. High gravity can cause osmotic stress which causes the yeast to multiply slowly. Basically, the cells just sort-of go into shutdown while they attempt to increase in size (they start generating glycerol). So while they're doing that, they're not multiplying and you end up with longer lag times. You can either dilute or try re-pitching with a starter to get the cell count up (if you haven't already done so ... and if a starter is ok with the yeast you're using) ... or do both.

Also, you may need some nutrients in your wash. I haven't done anything with apple juice yet (but it sure sounds tasty), so I don't know if it has everything the yeast need as the sugar offers nothing. The AJ probably has some decent minerals, but I don't know what it has in terms of vitamins. You can check your yeast information as well ... some of those packets have vitamins and minerals added in already.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Tracyman0111  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:45:35 PM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

John--

Im not sure what you mean by a starter. My yeast comes in a 4oz jar, made by a company called EC Home Beer & Wine Making. Its labeled as food grade distillers yeast. Im sure there is some better more expensive stuff, but during my learning phase, Im trying not to spend a WHOLE bunch of money BigGrin Plus, Ive had high alcohol yields with it before.

And no, I didnt use nutrients this time. In the past, with simple sugar washes, Ive added tomato paste, but I didnt want to do that this time on an apple mash that I plan to slow run in pot mode. There is a little froth on the top, and I can gently blow some of it aside and I can see the yeast churning around, so theres SOMETHING going on down there.....
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:07:51 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Hi Tracyman,
Quote:
Im not sure what you mean by a starter.

The person you want to ask about this would be heeler ... he can tell you way more about this than I ever could. I just rehydrate with some warm water and teaspoon of sugar. Maybe send him a PM. Also, take a look at one of his threads on the subject:

http://www.brewhausforum...st&highlight=starter

--JB
Offline Maddawgs  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:55:51 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tracyman,

The person you want to ask about this would be heeler ... he can tell you way more about this than I ever could. I just rehydrate with some warm water and teaspoon of sugar. Maybe send him a PM. Also, take a look at one of his threads on the subject:

http://www.brewhausforum...st&highlight=starter

--JB

You could also check out our videos section under "yeast starter"
Maddawgs
Offline ratflinger  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:24:33 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

I think your SG is way to high & the yeasts never get a good start. I'd split that into 2 fermenters & add water until the SG was about 1.080 & repitch the yeast. Use warm water to bring that wash up to 95* for pitching. As for making a starter you can or not. If you want to then get about a quart of the wash, heat it up to 95* & put your yeast in. Stir it up & after about 30 min it should really be happening. Just stir that into the fermenters & stand back. Making a starter helps get the wash going quicker & helps you to verify that the yeast is still good.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:46:35 PM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
I think your SG is way to high & the yeasts never get a good start. I'd split that into 2 fermenters & add water until the SG was about 1.080 & repitch the yeast. Use warm water to bring that wash up to 95* for pitching. As for making a starter you can or not. If you want to then get about a quart of the wash, heat it up to 95* & put your yeast in. Stir it up & after about 30 min it should really be happening. Just stir that into the fermenters & stand back. Making a starter helps get the wash going quicker & helps you to verify that the yeast is still good.

When you say re pitch the yeast, should I use the original amount again? I used 4 level tbsp for that 5 gallon wash, so split to 2 buckets and drop 2 more tbsp in each one? That would be a total of 8 tbsp for the entire batch, is that too much?
Offline Tracyman0111  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:01:55 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Ok, after my last posts, I added a starter to this batch, and wrapped an electric blanket around the bucket, I think a low ambient temp was part of the problem. After these steps, she started bubblin and churning like never before BigGrin. Now I've got but one question......it bubbled away like that for about 6 days, and after not being able to drop below 1.110, it's now stopped bubbling and is stopped at 1.030. I know this is a bit high for a finished ferment, but I think it's all due to too much sugar in the beginning. Can I chalk it up as a lesson, and run it like this anyway?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:04:47 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Tracyman,

You might want to let it sit for another day or two ... just to make sure. Also check for air leaks in your fermenting bucket. When things slow down you might only get one burp through your airlock every 5 - 10 seconds, but it might still be going ... just very slowly. If there are any air leaks in your seal, you may never see any activity in your airlock at all when things slow down.

Do you have a website where your brand of yeast is mentioned. I couldn't find it doing a simple google search. Going from 1.115 to 1.030 puts the alcohol content somewhere around 11% - 12%. That's the ethanol tolerance limit for some yeast. But I would expect a distiller's yeast to be able to handle a little more than that ... it's just something to check. If it's at the limit, you might not be able to go any lower.

In any case, I think it would be fine to run ... you'll just end up with a lower yield.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Tracyman0111  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:22:33 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

I ended up being able to get the SG down to around 1.020, so I decided to go ahead and run it. Ran it low and slow, just like Barleycorn advised to, in pot mode. I ended up with about 2 1/2 qts of good smooth, drinkable, mixer kinda stuff, anywhere from 75 to 120 proof. The best quart I took and dropped a handful of blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers into it, next morning the candy was 100% gone, and the likker had a solid blue tint and tasted just like that damn candy, it was incredibly good!!! Took it to a friends bday get-together, they all said it was the best I'd done yet, by far. Needless to say, that qt lasted about 2 hrs lol. Question is though, that mash was 1/2 apple juice......Running low and slow in pot mode, I got pretty much ZERO apple flavor or scent to come through. Anyone have any ideas??
Offline John Barleycorn  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:33:37 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Tracyman,

First, congratulations!

There are a few things you can try if you want to make a good apple brandy.

The first is to do some research on an appropriate yeast to use. In my opinion this is one area that gets overlooked far too often in our ranks. Many of us seem very content to use products originally designed to make fuel ethanol because it's exciting to watch and produces high ethanol content in our washes. There's little concern about the flavor/aroma profiles produced by the yeast. Yet many of the wine folks I've chatted with are almost fanatical about their yeast selections. They've told me about matching very specific yeasts with specific grape varieties for very specific wine styles. Now some folks will say that since we're distilling it doesn't matter -- all those flavors and aromas don't come across. But I've also read several papers about how various commercial distilleries analyze their process to (attempt to) maintain very tight control over the congener profiles of their spirits since many of those congeners are responsible for the specific "identity" (aroma, flavor, etc) of their products. Those congeners (esters & fusel alcohols) do come across. We don't have the resources to do what they do, but that doesn't mean we can't benefit from careful yeast selection.

Another thing is get more apple flavor in your wash and get rid of the sugar. I've measured the gravity of several off-the-shelf apple juice products and they're all right around 1.050 (around 6.5% PA). So some frozen concentrated apple juice might be useful provided you can find one without preservatives -- I never looked into that. Just do your best to keep the gravity within the specs of the yeast you're using.

You can also start looking into is oaking. I'm real green on this ... but I've been doing a lot of research lately, so maybe someone with good experience can chime in. Regardless, much of what I've read claims that various oaking techniques can really enhance and/or modify flavor perception as well as add "character" ... and give the spirit that "final touch." My local HomeDepot just received a new shipment of barrel planters so I'm going to pick one up as soon as I can scrape up the $30. The planters are used whiskey barrels (white oak) and there are plenty of posts on various forums that describe how to prepare and toast the staves. Just something you might want to look into.

Just a final thought: I don't think slow and low is responsible for zero flavor -- at least not when your abv is in the 35% - 60% range. From what I've read, a typical oaking abv is 62.5%. The maximum abv for bourbon is 80% (160 proof). And amazingly, the maximum for a brandy is 95%. Now those are the maximums, but you're already below a typical oaking concentration. I guess what I'm saying is that if you start with more apple flavor, use a good yeast for your application and do some oak aging, I believe your slow an low technique will be just fine. If you run it too hard you'll just end up smearing everything ... and that will definitely mask the subtle flavors you're looking for.

Anyway, it sounds like you found some success and know what you're looking for. So now comes the fine tuning ... that's where we have the advantage over the commercial guys: We're not in it to make profit, we're in it to make perfect.

Best Regards,
--JB
Offline scotty  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:55:17 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

even after a SG test and an in active air lock. i use a flashlight on the surface of the liquid to see if there are any very tiny bubles
Offline Bushy  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:23:32 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi JB, good call on the yeast. I learned through beer makeing about the different flavors obtained by useing different yeasts.

I'm in the experimental phase with "oaking". So far I've found that rum and fruit brandies have benifited from useing staves cut up from used red wine barrels. It did'nt seem to make much difference whether it was white or french oak. I have'nt been able to get a piece of russian oak yet but sure would like to try it. I cut the staves into 1" wide strips and take off a little more than 1/2 of the inside soak line, then toast to a medium toast all the way around the piece.

For whiskeys I have a friend that gets me broken unused white oak staves from a cooperage that I cut up into strips and toast. They do seem to improve in flavor after a few useses.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 6:54:29 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Bushy,

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer ... so I just picked up a half barrel ... white oak ... charred ... apparently used bourbon barrel.

Could you start a thread? Maybe in the "Our Projects" section and put some details, maybe some pictures of how you prepare your staves? I'm ready to go and would love to learn what's worked for you.
I think it should have its own thread so it's easy to find.

--JB
Offline Tracyman0111  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:22:55 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Thanks to all for the replies!!

JB, you mention less sugar and possibly using frozen concentrate; is the concentrate to acheive the less sugar aspect of it? If so, would it work out the same with just using jug juice and forgoing the addition of granulated sugar? Would the natural sugars of the jug juice be enough? Like I said, it was much smoother, obviously lower proofed, and more quantity than running in reflux, I had kinda the same odor and taste (before addition of flavor).

As far as the oak, I know there's a lot of reading on here, but the general jist is to soak a piece of this wood in the product for X amount of days, right?

Travis
Offline John Barleycorn  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:24:01 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Bushy,

Quote:
So far I've found that rum and fruit brandies have benifited from useing staves cut up from used red wine barrels.

I'm not much of a brandy person, but during the holidays we picked up a bottle for our guests. What remained was finished up by me and my son. The grape flavor really through very nicely. I didn't care much for it a first, but it sort of grew on me once I figured out that it was the grapes I was detecting. In any case, I'm guessing that the flavor was largely due to aging in used wine barrels? I don't believe there is any requirement for new oak barrels for brandy.

So, I'm just wondering if a stave was prepped, then soaked in apple juice for some time prior to toasting ... would any of the apple flavor be retained and carry over during the oaking? I never did any toasting yet ... so I have little idea of what to expect.

--JB"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:43:21 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Quote:
you mention less sugar and possibly using frozen concentrate; is the concentrate to acheive the less sugar aspect of it? If so, would it work out the same with just using jug juice and forgoing the addition of granulated sugar?

Yes, that's what I was thinking ... lose the sucrose and use more AJ. I have an aversion to washes above 1.080 ... but that's just me ... so I figured you can probably get where you want without the sucrose. So, if your juice is around 1.050 like the ones I measured you could use the concentrate to bring up the gravity a bit. Or just use enough concentrate with water. I'm concerned about preservatives though ... I have no idea what's in concentrates ... the next time I'm in the store I'll have to look at the concentrates to see what's in them.

Quote:
Would the natural sugars of the jug juice be enough? Like I said, it was much smoother, obviously lower proofed, and more quantity than running in reflux, I had kinda the same odor and taste (before addition of flavor).

Yes. You can certainly ferment and distill something that starts at 1.050 but the yield may be low if your rig can't handle a high enough volume. If I'm not mistaken, I think maudib has done some low gravity washes so he'd be able to tell you what to expect.

Quote:
As far as the oak, I know there's a lot of reading on here, but the general jist is to soak a piece of this wood in the product for X amount of days, right?

Correct. There are several threads on the various forums. But basically, they go something like: prepare some oak (from an old barrel or something), toast it at a particular temperature for some amount of time, then drop it into your hooch. There are different toasting temps/times to get certain flavors profiles. The amount of time for aging seems debatable enough ... seems like there are too many factors to come up with any blanket statements ... probably just need to do it with what you have and see what you like.