logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 6:17:53 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Groups: Registered

"I started a 2nd generation ujsm wash a couple of days ago. Heres what I did.
I took out some of the spent cracked corn. added some fresh cracked corn.
I added 10lbs of sugar. I poured about 2 gallons of HOT backins into the fermentation bucket mixed up the sugar and corn then added cool water.
I let it sit over night to cool. The next day I scooped out some wash into a bowl and poured my ec-1118 into that got it started and poured that into the bucket. filled the airlock and set it in the floor. I have not had any activity thru the airlock (no bubbles) plus my airlock is sitting straight up and not leaning as it usually does when it's working.

My question is. should I warm up this fermentation by placing it near heat and pitching more yeast once the wash is warmer?
I'm thinking I let it cool down way to much to pitch.
I've ran numerous ujsm's with several generations so this isnt new to me, only having a ferment not start is new to me.

Thought?"
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:00:44 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Johnny, What is the abient temp of the room your wash is sitting in. If it's below 70/75 then you may want to give it a little more warmth to get it started. Yeast like to have a constant temp and with EC-1118 65-75 seems to be a good temp range for it. It's a slow working yeast to begin with. Ain't nothing wrong with a slow working yeast, just takes a little loger and makes for a cleaner product.

This reply is a little late coming and I hope by now things have started working.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:16:42 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

well come to find out it wasn't stuck at all it was working just working very slow. I'm sure that's due in part by the temps inside my house 64 to 68. Bushy your right the ec-1118 is a slow working yeast that's what i've been using now for a couple of years. i've used a few others as well but i like the ec-1118 best. I meant to reply sooner but hadn't had the chance.
Offline Bushy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:57:58 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Glad to here it's working now and keep us posted on how it goes. I'm interested in the difference in flavor of a first and second gen mash.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:15:46 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I ran ujsm several generations all during the fall season of 2012 In my opinion it started getting better after the 1st generation so the second one through the last one i ran was very good. I'm trying to think how many i went before i discarded everything and started fresh. I think it was 6. I'd have to look in my logbook. after each run i'd scoop out big ole scoop of spent corn toss in a few pounds of fresh corn and sugar and some backins and go from there. worked very well for me. still does. Gen 2 is going just fine i'm sure it'll be some fine hooch. I just have to be patient with it being winter time and cold here. sucks to have to be in the garage all day in the cold distilling too.