logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 9:15:41 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

"Hey all---

First of all, Im not very versed on SGs, and my new hydrometer does not have that scale, so Ill refer by ABV and proof. Boiled 5 lbs sugar and 1 can of tomato paste into about 2.5 gallons water, added 2.5 more gallons of cold, bringing water temp to 75F. Pitched about 4 oz of standard generic distillers yeast, gently stirred in. That was about 2 1/2 days ago. As of yet, I have absolutely NO ABV (its actually giving a LESS than zero proof reading) showing in the mash, although Im confused because it is still bubbling (somewhat). First time with new hydrometer, so I tested some tequila, and its accurate.

Some details....

I have done this mash EXACTLY the same way numerous other times, using the same yeast, have been able to get about 8% fermentation. Mash has been indoors, as has the yeast. Yeast is about a year and a half old, I bought about 6 5oz jars at the same time. Its crossed my mind that the yeast is dead, but Im second guessing it, as I just ran an 8% mash from the same yeast batch about 2 weeks ago.

Thoughts, folks?"
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 9:21:39 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
you need a hydrometer which tells the SG of the mash. I think you are using an alcholmeter which tells the ABV of finished product
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 9:34:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"You are really jumping the gun here homey....by that I mean you said its fermenting so that's great, leave it alone for a few more days but just keep an eye on it. There's really nothing to do now but wait.
I think dieselduo is right, it sounds like you used a alcohol meter (which is called a hydrometer too) but you need a tralle gauge ( beer and wine hydrometer) I'm pretty sure there's no way to accuratley measure the ABV of a wash other than - take a OG reading and then take a FG reading (after fermentation is finished) and subtract the two and you have a % ABV --roughly anyway. Now you are gonna distill this anyway so no worries...once you've distilled this the hydro you have now will come into play."
Offline Tracyman0111  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:13:36 PM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Dieselduo posted a link for me for SG calculations, which I will be diving into....thanks for that, Diesel!! But, what exactly is OG and FG?
Offline Hokey  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 5:19:36 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Tracyman. OG is Original or Opening Gravity. Before adding yeast. FG is Final Gravity. After gravity has stopped dropping for a couple days. All of these are taking the SG or Specific Gravity of your wash or any liquids for that matter.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:19:22 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
Hello Tracyman. OG is Original or Opening Gravity. Before adding yeast. FG is Final Gravity. After gravity has stopped dropping for a couple days. All of these are taking the SG or Specific Gravity of your wash or any liquids for that matter.

Good deal, thanks Hokey.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:03:31 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Originally Posted by: Tracyman0111 Go to Quoted Post
Good deal, thanks Hokey.

Little confused here, I checked my SG yesterday morning, it was at 1.010, about 3% potential ABV. I checked it again this morning, and its at 1.000, and dead on at 0% ABV. Ive never checked SG until this mash, Ive always gone off when the bubbles stopped. How can this be normal?
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:34:03 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

as the fermenting progresses and alcohol is produced the SG drops-- looks perfect--when the hydrometer reads below 1 you are ready for your next step
Offline admin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:54:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Remember, what you have listed is potential alcohol, not existing alcohol. It is the amount of potential remaining, so it should start high and work its way down as fermentation progresses.
Offline Tracyman0111  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:23:35 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

"
Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Remember, what you have listed is potential alcohol, not existing alcohol. It is the amount of potential remaining, so it should start high and work its way down as fermentation progresses.

Ohhhhhhh, potential REMAINING!!!! I NEVER knew that. Damn these forums are a goldmine, thanks fellas!!"
Offline AAIndigo  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:01:48 AM(UTC)
AAIndigo

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
as the fermenting progresses and alcohol is produced the SG drops-- looks perfect--when the hydrometer reads below 1 you are ready for your next step

So My SG Hydro reading (First shine batch ever)is below 1. This is OK? I pulled it off the Yeasties and have it waiting in a secondary. Is their a target here?
Archie"