logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:54:18 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Would filtering a spirit that has been flavored remove any of my flavors? Or should I filter just the spirit prior to doing the mixing? The reason I ask is this. I have some 95% that I have soaked some blueberries in, I just picked up a carbon filter rig and want to give that a try but do not want to remove any of the blueberry from it.

Thanks in advance.
Brian
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:30:28 AM(UTC)

it will remove ALL taste and FLAVOR, do the filtering first and then flavor, essence etc to your product.....Jimbull, ,voice of experience, did so great stuff and then filtered it, just C2h5oh when done!!!,
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:44:01 AM(UTC)

I was afraid of that, thanks Jimbull.

I will have to enjoy the Blueberries as is and deal with the headaches if one exsist the next morning. It was middle run so I am not afraid of any front end nastys.

Brian
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:19:15 AM(UTC)

You can always use a coffee filter and not active carbon to remove the sediment. Coffee filters work great. This will not bother the taste and just remove the gross part that is if you used whole fruit and not esseces.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:45:17 AM(UTC)

Freebrew is correct about removing ALL flavor and taste. I took Jimbull's and Gert's advice and used some stone carbon. I first tried standard wood carbon and it didn't seem to take the hint of tails out of the brew. I then ordered some stone carbon -the size reccommended by Gert - and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! After filtering and chasing with some distilled water, it probably was about 91 or 92 %. I cut it and added the Scotch essence with Oak chips and WOW! That is the best Scotch I have ever tasted and with no bite or hangover. ,Of course I would never drink enough to provoke a hangover ya know,
So, if anyone is going to filter with carbon, my experience has taught me that nothing but stone carbon of the 0,4 - 0.85 size is worth while messing with.

While reading the comments from many in the forum I have gathered that if you distill with a pot still instead of a reflux still some of the flavors and taste are preserved, is that correct? If so, sounds like the two processes are nothing like the same and us reflux guys can only do sugar/water/yeast mashes as all other flavors are gone once through the reflux process. Comments?
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:09:56 PM(UTC)

Chas, Even though you have a reflux still, you still can close down the reflux and you have basically the same thing as the pot still. All the reflux does is to put part of the end product back into the column to re distill it, hence the purity.... leave the reflux closed and you have the same as a pot still!!! So, or as our good friends say, sooooooooooooooooo, yes, you can do both...cheers Jimbull