logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline boxholland  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:08:38 PM(UTC)
boxholland

Groups: Registered

"I've used Pure Cane in my UJSM but the other half bought some regular Beet sugar the other day.

Culinarily you want a pure cane vs a beet. Beet sugar is generally anything not labeled ""pure cane"".
The difference in cooking is generally bad presentation and a bit of a earthy flavor(dirt).

ANy thoughts or experience? Interested if the flavor profile is going to change for the worse."
Offline ratflinger  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:02:38 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

I've used store brands (which are probably beet) and pure cane & I can't tell the difference. I was raised on beet sugar & I dispute that it is less acceptable, in cooking, than pure cane. I think you've fallen for advertising. I now use pure cane only because I buy sugar in bulk at Costco & they only sell Imperial.
Offline boxholland  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:32:10 PM(UTC)
boxholland

"
Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
I've used store brands (which are probably beet) and pure cane & I can't tell the difference. I was raised on beet sugar & I dispute that it is less acceptable, in cooking, than pure cane. I think you've fallen for advertising. I now use pure cane only because I buy sugar in bulk at Costco & they only sell Imperial.

I can taste the difference in my coffee. Some people just have a better palette than others.... No offense. It's also more gooey and seeps and if you do a lot of sugar sauces or
sweet rubs you want pure cane. They are both sweet, one is just sort of dingy in flavor and cane carmelizes better.

Not that I did a lot of cooking when I was younger or anything.Wink"