logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:43:24 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

Been thinking of adding something to my fermenter to add some flavoring but have some questions first.. Could I just cut up fruit and add that as is with doing nothing else or is there a process to break it down etc... what else if anything is common to add to the ferment for a different product once distilled?

Also does anyone have any experience of adding fruit after being distilled for flavoring?? Just brainstorming wanting to try new things.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:14:41 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Adding fruit etc (( spices--licoris)) after distilling is called infusion. I did it with my vodka. I disliked most of it but thats because of the flavorings i chose. It works well. It was easy with the vodka because i could see the color change.

THIS IS BEFORE INFUSION

UserPostedImage

THESE ARE AFTER INFUSION

UserPostedImage
Offline Outland  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:53:42 PM(UTC)
Outland

I added a 6oz pouch of mixed dried berries (cranberry, cherry and blueberry) to 1.5 liters of 80 proof neutral and let it sit for 2 months. Wasn't bad, the wife and daughters liked it way more than I did....too sweet for me and I thought it tasted a bit like cough syrup
Offline Mkjt88  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:53:31 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

appreciate the comments.. I think I'm interested in this and give it a try.. Testing different things and see what flavor I can achieve. I just started my second 5gal batch tonight with the second half of my malt.. Didnt get any grain added or anything same deal this time just cooked it at 145F this time and used 6lbs sugar instead of 5. The first batch should be done in the next few days so waiting to see what that is gonna be like :)
Offline cczero  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 12:20:32 AM(UTC)
cczero

Originally Posted by: Mkjt88 Go to Quoted Post
Been thinking of adding something to my fermenter to add some flavoring but have some questions first.. Could I just cut up fruit and add that as is with doing nothing else or is there a process to break it down etc... what else if anything is common to add to the ferment for a different product once distilled?

Also does anyone have any experience of adding fruit after being distilled for flavoring?? Just brainstorming wanting to try new things.

I've done several things to my batches. Charred some white oak and let it sit for 3 weeks. After running it thru a filter it wasn't too bad. Also did the vanilla extract which to me was overpowering and finally bought some almond extract. That was more to my liking. Use the extract sparingly. Use can always add more....

Regards to all..
Offline Mkjt88  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2012 9:20:56 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Well my plum/cherry batch is done and cut to 40% but I dunno it's not bad but not that good either.. I threw two 1/4 cuts of an orange in there and gonna see what t does fOr it..
Offline Mkjt88  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:04:12 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Ya I don't plan to leave in there long. Already this morning I got some new color and pretty citrusy smell. Probably gonna take them out tonIght depending on taste. Oh and my first batch of malt wash should be done today ready to run.. After work I'm gonna check and see but can't wait to try it out
Offline Mkjt88  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:39:40 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Gave it a few sips now and decided overnight is good for me. Killed most of the woody flavor still has some but has some orange taste also.. just didn't want to much orange :). Straining it now and be ready to drink for when i
Offline Mkjt88  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:53:14 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Ya everywhere I read said a week.. I think one day was fine on mine.. Still had woody taste but it made it drinkable. I left the peel on the oranges and kinda tasted it next time it's coming off
Offline Mkjt88  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 12:12:47 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Sounds good.. Do you leave your lime peel when you soak? I may give this a try.
Offline mr. x  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 10:53:08 AM(UTC)
mr. x

i had just sugar and water and yeast so i cut up an apple into my wash and it worked for nutrient well its been fermenting better than it ever has using turbo yeast actually i also dropped a couple tums in there and a biotin pill i guess as i use the biotin for my beard and i noticed both are big parts of many store bought yeast nutrients so that could be part of it as well but i can really smell the apple in the wash (been going for 8 days) i may run it early like tomorrow night still unsure but i need the fuel prettybadly
Offline mr. x  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:48:24 PM(UTC)
mr. x

"
Originally Posted by: mr. x Go to Quoted Post
i had just sugar and water and yeast so i cut up an apple into my wash and it worked for nutrient well its been fermenting better than it ever has using turbo yeast actually i also dropped a couple tums in there and a biotin pill i guess as i use the biotin for my beard and i noticed both are big parts of many store bought yeast nutrients so that could be part of it as well but i can really smell the apple in the wash (been going for 8 days) i may run it early like tomorrow night still unsure but i need the fuel prettybadly

checked it after this post and was no action in it so i tried to run and got almost nothing a few shot glasses of low proof was all that came out so just an apple cut up diddnt work for a nutrient i think ill just keep using turbo as i never had issues does give a flavor but i stil like it thinking of doin 4 batches fermenting at once running 3 and adding them all to the 4th as it will be a small one"