logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:34:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Thanks. Very informative. I knew somebody did the 55 gallon barrell thing but done forgot who it was.

Originally Posted by: cczero Go to Quoted Post
I use 2 55 gal steel barrels. One each for column and condensor. I do have 2 of the 300 gals square in the steel tubing type containers and am working on hooking up a circulating pump from the 300 gal container to the 2 55 gal drums. My hooch shed is too small to have the 300 gals inside but can get in close enough to use an old pool pump to transfer water from both. The barrel that contains the column water gets hotter than the condenser so usually can switch between them on a run.

Regards to all.
Offline shovelhead91701  
#22 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:17:37 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

Groups: Registered

Just got done with an hour long cleaning run with it throttled for pencil lead stream of vinegar and water. I used a 35 gal. trash can for water and it never got hot at the bottom of the barrel. I think on a "real" run it would have though. I have my output hose coming in right under the surface of the water in the barrel and pump in the bottom of the barrel. I am going to put a syphon hose into my 35 gal barrel and when temps rise I am going to start a water exchange because my tap water from the hose is around 65 or so year round. In other words, syphon a lot out and before it affects the pump running dry then top it off with fresh cold water.
Offline scotty  
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:31:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I thought that the boiler temps on a cleaning run would be higher than on a regular run for alcohol-- i am very interested in any details you can add as i am construction a radiator cooled setup with a large reservoir to boot.
Offline shovelhead91701  
#24 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:40:52 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

I didn't check temps on anything scotty. I just fired it up and adjusted the burner as low as I thought I could get away with. Once I saw vapor at the output I turned on the cooling water and watched until I went too far and the stream went to drips.Then I backed off on the water flow until the stream started and stayed steady. I put 1/2 gal vinegar and 1/2 gal water in and ran until I got over 1/2 gal back out and the stream to taste tasted like vinegar only, no nasty tastes etc. I plan to run another run just like it after while when it cools down. I will use my infared thermometer to try and get you some temps as it is running.
Offline Bushy  
#25 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:19:55 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Scotty he only ran it for an hour. Yeah he temp was higher but the run was shorter that's why he did'nt have a water heating problem.

Offline scotty  
#26 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:21:54 PM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hey Scotty he only ran it for an hour. Yeah he temp was higher but the run was shorter that's why he did'nt have a water heating problem.

I see--- I cant wait to experiment with the radiator-- i have free water but it just isnt right to run it for 10 hours
Offline Bushy  
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:06:59 PM(UTC)
Bushy

I hear ya there. I've been useing frozen 1 gallon milk jugs in a 150qt cooler. Works pretty well except I need 10 to 12 of them on a reflux run and my wife decided they were taking up to much room in the freezer. So I guess I need to come up with a new way to cool things down.
I really interested to see how the radiator works for you. Keep us posted.
Offline scotty  
#28 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:09:05 PM(UTC)
scotty

Bushey, I saw someone on another website do it with the heater coil from a mack truck. it was encased in some sort of box. My radiator popped up when my brother was tweaking his maverick. All i plan to try at this point is the brewhaus pump to circulate the water and a cheapo fan from home depot. If that works, ill look for one of those automotive radiator fans that attach directly to the radiator.
I was going to post a picture of the radiator with the adaptors to 1/2 inch water line but its gone. Weeel you missed a photo of a radiator lol lol

The project wont come into being until probably january because when i get back from philly, i still have to re mount my PIDs onto the plexiglass and do some mashing. Ive not done much lately because i'm just getting some of my strength back. I'm a very fortunate and thankfull man.

PS-- Ill even report if it fails but in winter months even in florida we get some temperatures that will work. The still is completely insulated for out door use
Offline curtsat15  
#29 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:52:42 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Being winter here now in Canada, I just fill my condenser with water and set it outside overnight. Solid ice, works great for about 6 hours steady run.
Offline scotty  
#30 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:56:19 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: curtsat15 Go to Quoted Post
being winter here now in canada, i just fill my condenser with water and set it outside overnight. Solid ice, works great for about 6 hours steady run.

cheater :)
Offline curtsat15  
#31 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:45:17 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
cheater :)

I'm just using the resources available to me :)"
Offline scotty  
#32 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:46:25 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: curtsat15 Go to Quoted Post
I'm just using the resources available to me :)

I guess i should have said SMART."
Offline makersmark  
#33 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:16:26 PM(UTC)
makersmark

large garbage can worked fine 4 me dipped out half of it & refilled about half way through seemed to work fine
Offline Maddawgs  
#34 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 12:22:04 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

I use a 32 gallon barrel for the column and another for the condensor
Maddawgs
Offline joseph9936  
#35 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 3:32:11 PM(UTC)
joseph9936

I have an Honda Accord radiator with 4 hoffman fans on it. I ran into issues on how it effected to vapor temp when it came on. So its a work in progress....Its winter so it's not such a priority right now.
Offline mr. x  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:08:38 PM(UTC)
mr. x

i plan to try ice water with a bit of dry ice in it too in a ziplock i get 4x the time in a cooler while camping this way so it may help i will be trying this in the next couple weeks
Offline cczero  
#37 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:45:49 AM(UTC)
cczero

"
Originally Posted by: mr. x Go to Quoted Post
i plan to try ice water with a bit of dry ice in it too in a ziplock i get 4x the time in a cooler while camping this way so it may help i will be trying this in the next couple weeks

Sounds like a good idea. In my younger days, pre kids, my wife and I used to go camping and would pack the ice chest with dry ice. Seemed to keep everything fresh the whole time. Where I live there's not too many places you can get it. We used to by it in long flat sheets.

Regards to all."