logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:35:27 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"This is a project that is easy enough for anybody to get parts for and put together in a day or so. I am adding it now and hoping it will help out someone who is on the edge of the ferm/chiller idea. This one is easier to put together than an old refrigerator and the controller is cheaper. And in the future when you get tired of stilling you still have a great cooler. I did'nt invent this idea I just made it my own and added it for whomever may come across it and want to try it.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:36:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

UserPostedImage
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:40:46 AM(UTC)
heeler

"You can see I removed the thermister and added it to that wire so I could put it inside and not have to open the cooler to see the temp. You dont have to do it this way but I like it.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Again this is a fun and easy project, and I think a cooler ferment creats a better end result in the wash or mash. This kind of thing is not a must have but it fun to watch and check on everything whilst its brewing."
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:15:19 AM(UTC)
heeler

To wire this unit is pretty easy too....2 wires on the fan -- 2 wires on the transformer -- and the thermostat is the break in the juice. When the thermo is activated by the temp change of course it creats a contact that is open or closed.
You can remove the ---- thermister---- (which is what reads or takes the temperature) and add it to a wire to extend it inside or you can actually mount the thermostat inside the cooler. Both will work I just wanted to be able to see it without opening the cooler.
It takes several hours to cool down and after its cool the ice will last about 24 hours before changeing it out. I usually add ice the day before so as soon as the fermenter is added its already cool and on its way to a proper fermentation temp.
Offline retsnomteeks  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 4:06:34 PM(UTC)
retsnomteeks

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the great idea Heeler! Just a quick question regarding the wiring...

Does it all inter loop as 1 circuit or does the electronic fan plug into the back of the thermostat in the “cool” port which is set off by the thermistor?

Thanks in advance!!