logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wvrunner3204  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 4:00:01 AM(UTC)
wvrunner3204

Groups: Registered

I just ordered a PSII yesterday!! Cant wait to get it! I didnt get a hotplate so I'll just be heating using a propane turkey fryer. Can anyone give me some tips on things I need to look for or things I'll need to do when I run my first batch using the new still? How long should it take to heat up? How much should I expect to get an hour?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 5:22:47 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
wvrunner,

Congratulations!

Just follow the instructions and perhaps plan on a sacrificial run ... so old/cheap wine or something.

Your warm up will depend on your wash. I use a hotplate, so I can't tell you how long it will take to warm up using gas. My warm up time for a 22 L wash a 10% - 12% abv with my 1500w hotplate is around 2 hours. I believe it's considerably less when using gas.

How much you collect per hour will depend on what's in your boiler and what you're trying to accomplish. When I strip it's somewhere around 1500 mL/hour. During a spirit run with the column ... that depends on a lot of things (including my mood) ... but most often somewhere around 700 mL - 800 mL/hour.

--JB
Offline cczero  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 1:50:56 PM(UTC)
cczero

Originally Posted by: wvrunner3204 Go to Quoted Post
I just ordered a PSII yesterday!! Cant wait to get it! I didnt get a hotplate so I'll just be heating using a propane turkey fryer. Can anyone give me some tips on things I need to look for or things I'll need to do when I run my first batch using the new still? How long should it take to heat up? How much should I expect to get an hour?

I run propane (Bayou Classic) and it takes about 45 minutes to get my 5 gal wash to 130 when I start the condenser water then run for another 2 hours extracting about 1 gallon of distillate that will be processed in a spirit run. I'm new to the hobby but am glad I chose the PSII. I combine 3 stripping runs to the spirit run which runs 10-12 hours in full reflux mode. Output from the spirit run is in the 90ABV. My only recommendation is the water used for cooling. Make sure you have a way to keep the water cooled during the reflux run. I use 2 55 gallon barrels when doing mine. Some people add frozen water jugs to cool. Keep an eye on the temp, don't walk away when processing. Bad things can happen if you're not paying attention. With each run you gain experience. I love it.