logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline budmgd  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:47:19 AM(UTC)
budmgd

Groups: Registered

Hello All..I am so glad the gentleman from Brewhaus directed me to this forum. I am an absolute ignoramous regarding brewing of any kind. Like someone else said, I have only brewed coffee. I am looking forward to reading/researching in order to learn, but with my type A personality I can hardly wait to buy a distiller and get going. I just don't want to make too many rookie mistakes. I have read the Home Distillation Handbook and perused the forum here...What other suggestions are there before I purchase a still? Thank you so much, and I apologize in advance for my dumb questions....
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:05:09 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi bud,

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
I just don't want to make too many rookie mistakes. I have read the Home Distillation Handbook and perused the forum here...What other suggestions are there before I purchase a still?
Just make sure you're comfortable with your choice of still and get going. I have a PSII HC w/1500w plate and have been very satisfied.

As for the rookie mistakes ... they are inevitable ... we all make them ... they just happen less frequently with experience. Wink I'm pretty type A as well, so if I'm not making mistakes I don't feel like I'm learning anything.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline dieselduo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:22:41 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That's a good choice for a still and you might consider them putting in an NPT fitting for a water heater element
Offline budmgd  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:46:15 AM(UTC)
budmgd

Thanks JB! I was thinking of getting that very model. I noticed that it comes with an 8 gallon pot..but I saw some suggesting they wished they had gone with the 15 gallon one. Which did you go with, and do you have any opinion on which one? Thank you.
Offline budmgd  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:47:15 AM(UTC)
budmgd

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
That's a good choice for a still and you might consider them putting in an NPT fitting for a water heater element

Can you pls explain what that is? Thank you
Offline dieselduo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:00:49 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
instead of using propane or a hot plate. You can screw a hot water heating element into the NPT fitting and use a router speed controller to control your heat. It's easier for me as you still need to modify the hot plate so it doesn't cycle on and off and less expensive too. I also run inside so propane is not an option
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:04:48 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
I noticed that it comes with an 8 gallon pot..but I saw some suggesting they wished they had gone with the 15 gallon one. Which did you go with, and do you have any opinion on which one?.
I have the premium 8 gallon kettle. For what I'm doing now, 8 gallons is fine. I suppose there have been times when having a slightly higher capacity would have come in handy, but I've never regretted getting the smaller kettle. Of course that could all change if I get a different itch in the future. Personally, I think you'd be happy with either ... but if you don't mind spending some extra bucks up front, you might want to consider the larger kettle and just call it a day.Wink

--JB"
Offline budmgd  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:15:09 AM(UTC)
budmgd

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
instead of using propane or a hot plate. You can screw a hot water heating element into the NPT fitting and use a router speed controller to control your heat. It's easier for me as you still need to modify the hot plate so it doesn't cycle on and off and less expensive too. I also run inside so propane is not an option

great info! thanks
Offline budmgd  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:16:13 AM(UTC)
budmgd

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
I have the premium 8 gallon kettle. For what I'm doing now, 8 gallons is fine. I suppose there have been times when having a slightly higher capacity would have come in handy, but I've never regretted getting the smaller kettle. Of course that could all change if I get a different itch in the future. Personally, I think you'd be happy with either ... but if you don't mind spending some extra bucks up front, you might want to consider the larger kettle and just call it a day.Wink

--JB

Thanks JB...I think I will bite the bullet up front and get the bigger one. I have a few drinkers in my family..LOL
Offline BrokeDickBrew  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:33:53 AM(UTC)
BrokeDickBrew

welcome, I am just getting into distiling but make a crap load of beer.
Offline bubba  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:38:29 PM(UTC)
bubba

i was born in odessa. be careful if you use gas to heat with or you will burn everything from san antonio to el paso to the ground, or should i say sand.
Offline budmgd  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:28:43 PM(UTC)
budmgd

Originally Posted by: bubba Go to Quoted Post
i was born in odessa. be careful if you use gas to heat with or you will burn everything from san antonio to el paso to the ground, or should i say sand.

Haha! You got that right! I usually tell people we move a lot of real estate out here.....from one side of the road to the other!
Offline shovelhead91701  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 4:46:49 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

I built my column myself but bought the 15 gal. kettle and have been very happy with it. I don't seem to ever run into a problem with nasties getting up high enough in the kettle to affect the column vapors.