logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sterlep  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:16:31 AM(UTC)
sterlep

Groups: Registered

"Have processed many runs with good results;recipe:
5 gal.water
2 Lb plain corn meal (first cooked by bringing to boil)
13 Lb sugar
48 hr turbo yeast
distill and age in burnt oak chips (3oz/qt for >3wks); many compliments.
Have reviewed other recipes, some only pour hot water over corn meal (do not cook),then add sugar/water, Etc...
Is it necessary to first cook corn meal??"
Offline Mercerks  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:19:48 PM(UTC)
Mercerks

How much yeast? How long to boil? How long to ferment?
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 12:05:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: sterlep Go to Quoted Post
Have processed many runs with good results;recipe:
5 gal.water
2 Lb plain corn meal (first cooked by bringing to boil)
13 Lb sugar
48 hr turbo yeast
distill and age in burnt oak chips (3oz/qt for >3wks); many compliments.
Have reviewed other recipes, some only pour hot water over corn meal (do not cook),then add sugar/water, Etc...
Is it necessary to first cook corn meal??

Well the sugar is your likker and the meal is flavor. You said -first cooked by bringing to a boil - and if that works why change? I found I really did'nt need to cook the meal but is bringing to a boil and then removeing from the fire really cooking?? How long was it actually cooked? I poured boiling water over everthing and it sat for several hours before adding the yeast so maybe that is a kind of cooking. Try this recipe both ways and see what works best for you, niether is wrong.Cool"
Offline sterlep  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:32:20 AM(UTC)
sterlep

Since posting my question about need to cook corn meal I have concluded it is much more deirable for many reasons. My complete recipe/process is as follows:
CORN BASED WHISKEY
5 Gallons of Water Note: total amount used in process
2 LB Plain Yellow Corn Meal
13 LB Cane Sugar
48 hr Turbo Pure Yeast. Follow "Corn Based Process". Distill and dilute to 55%, Age for flavor and color by adding 3 OZ (3-shot glasses) of charred White or Red Oak chips/Quart. Shake jars at least 1/week for minimum of 3 weeks aging time, then filter (paper coffee filter).
Best method to cook corn meal:
"Corn Based Process": Place 48 oz of cool water in large bowl and slowly sprinkle-in, mixing with whisk, 2 lbs of plain corn meal; allow mixture (paste) to sit at least 5 minutes. If microwave available, heat mixture for 5 minutes (or more), stopping every 1 minute to stir, the resultant is a warm corn meal paste.
Sugar Pot (12 Qt): Heat 1 gal. Of water to near boiling, slowly add 13 Lbs of sugar, mixing with whisk. When all sugar is dissolved, place pot in sink filled with cool water until tolerable to touch.
Corn Meal Pot (12 Qt): Boil 1 Gal. Of water and slowly add corn meal paste (scoop-at-a-time), constantly mixing-in with a whisk. Stove burner can be lowered to a setting sufficient to keep solution near boiling (or very, very slow boil). Caution: Boiling corn meal may splatter out of pot and cause skin burns. Continue to stir, when all corn paste added lower burner to simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Constant stirring with a whisk is necessary to avoid burning corn meal on bottom of pot. Place pot in sink filled with cool water, occasionally stirring to speed-up cooling of mixture (until tolerable to touch).

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Well the sugar is your likker and the meal is flavor. You said -first cooked by bringing to a boil - and if that works why change? I found I really did'nt need to cook the meal but is bringing to a boil and then removeing from the fire really cooking?? How long was it actually cooked? I poured boiling water over everthing and it sat for several hours before adding the yeast so maybe that is a kind of cooking. Try this recipe both ways and see what works best for you, niether is wrong.Cool