logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ShelbyStill  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:00:34 AM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Groups: Registered

This is the reflux rig we designed by looking at several different rig designs found on various sites. It has a 2" column 48" tall with a 8 gallon Stainless milk can as a boiler. The cooling coil is 1/4" copper hand coiled to appx 2" outside diameter then set inside 3" copper collector. We have ran it one time so far and while the still works perfectly our recipe was not so good as I don't think we pitched enough yeast and we also had some sanitation issues. All these resolved and with some modifications to the water lines we are ready to try again. I found a simple sugar wash that will go into the fermenter this next week and I'll post the results.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585[/ATTACH]
ShelbyStill attached the following image(s):
still.jpg (110kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:19:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Is it a LM I cant see????
Offline ShelbyStill  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:20:33 AM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Is it a LM I cant see????

Not sure what a LM is, if you click the picture it gets larger I think.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:00:29 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Originally Posted by: ShelbyStill Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what a LM is, if you click the picture it gets larger I think.

It means Liquid Management. From the pic it looks like it is. Supposed to be the best refluxer for compressing heads, but the slowest overall production.
Offline ShelbyStill  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:07:55 AM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Maybe you missed 'still building 101', but the method of heat will have absolutely no effect on the height requirement of the column. Or, are you trying to say that it will lower the unit? If so, say it so that it is easily understood. The language we use around here is English.

Height and safety are mutually exclusive.

It is a bit tall but manageable. it does have reflux or liquid management needle valves. We have since secured the cooling lines and have a pump to move the water vs stretching a garden hose. The idea of installing a heating element in the boiler is one that occurred to me today but I have limited panel service in my garage as it would require at least a 50 amp breaker. We
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:14:08 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

It is a bit tall but manageable. it does have reflux or liquid management needle valves. We have since secured the cooling lines and have a pump to move the water vs stretching a garden hose. The idea of installing a heating element in the boiler is one that occurred to me today but I have limited panel service in my garage as it would require at least a 50 amp breaker. We

Hi Shelbystill,
It looks like you are using an 8 gallon boiler. If this is true you may be able to get away with using a single 1500 to 2000 watt element and would only need a 20amp breaker. It may take a bit longer to heat up but would be a lot safer than using an open flame indoors.
Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:30:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"

50amps.....dude your just heating a liquid not cooking the world!!!!!! I dont mean to sound like a smartass but I have built several of these and they absolutley do not require 50amps to supply. If you check back through the forums you'll find that I even posted the wattage and amperage of the unit in heatup and in full cooking mode. That is.....one element in a 8 gallon boiler. I think you may find that the garage will do fine once you get accurate facts.
I even used a 4500 watt element in mine but of course I wont get that much heat - but you'll be pleased when it done."
Offline admin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:38:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi ShelbyStill,
In calculating the amps just take the wattage divided by the voltage (eg. 1500W / 120V = 12.5A). 50A
120v would supply up to 6000W, which is far too much, even for most 3" and 4" systems. We have commercial distilleries running less than that. And, if you insulate your kettle to reduce heat loss then you can get away with even less input heat.
Rick
Offline ShelbyStill  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:45:50 PM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Hi ShelbyStill,
In calculating the amps just take the wattage divided by the voltage (eg. 1500W / 120V = 12.5A). 50A
120v would supply up to 6000W, which is far too much, even for most 3" and 4" systems. We have commercial distilleries running less than that. And, if you insulate your kettle to reduce heat loss then you can get away with even less input heat.
Rick

Thanks Rick, I did the math this morning and I have several options however I have zero room left in my service panel. I mis-spoke a bit when I said it would call for a 50 amp breaker. What I meant was that my service panel is full and it is only a 50 amp panel. (I didn't build the shop/garage) Local code requires 100 amp min now so I would have to change the entire panel. It would not be as simple as adding a 20 amp circuit to the existing service. I promise to be careful :) I will post another picture when we do the next run and I think you will see that the whole thing is not as haphazard as it appears here. Thanks everyone for the input. I look forward to learning from each of you.!!!
Offline fatboylo  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 11:21:11 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

"
This is the reflux rig we designed by looking at several different rig designs found on various sites. It has a 2"" column 48"" tall with a 8 gallon Stainless milk can as a boiler. The cooling coil is 1/4"" copper hand coiled to appx 2"" outside diameter then set inside 3"" copper collector. We have ran it one time so far and while the still works perfectly our recipe was not so good as I don't think we pitched enough yeast and we also had some sanitation issues. All these resolved and with some modifications to the water lines we are ready to try again. I found a simple sugar wash that will go into the fermenter this next week and I'll post the results.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585[/ATTACH]

I can see that it is a valved reflux sys......what I can't see is the top of your condensor, is it open, or did you cap it? I ask because I am wondering how well the condensor works. I have seen some VR system designs that call for the top to stay open and I have seen some that cap the top but drill a 1/2 inch hole in the cap."
Offline ShelbyStill  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 12:48:50 PM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
I can see that it is a valved reflux sys......what I can't see is the top of your condensor, is it open, or did you cap it? I ask because I am wondering how well the condensor works. I have seen some VR system designs that call for the top to stay open and I have seen some that cap the top but drill a 1/2 inch hole in the cap.

It is open, doesn't build much pressure except a small amount in the boiler because the column is 2". We are adding a thermometer to the boiler so we can see the differential temp between the top of the column and the boiler. I say that because on our only and first run so far the only way I could tell we were making ETOH was I was watching for vapor rising from the condensor. Crude I know but we are learning. All in all it has been a great experience for me because I thought at my age I had learned all I ever wanted to. Now I am motivated and the war department is happy to have me out of the house.BigGrin
Offline Hokey  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:25:22 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hey ShelbyStill,
That is a great looking unit. If there are any bugs I am sure they won't be there long. remember It all starts with a good wash.
Offline fatboylo  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 4:26:22 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

It is open, doesn't build much pressure except a small amount in the boiler because the column is 2". We are adding a thermometer to the boiler so we can see the differential temp between the top of the column and the boiler. I say that because on our only and first run so far the only way I could tell we were making ETOH was I was watching for vapor rising from the condensor. Crude I know but we are learning. All in all it has been a great experience for me because I thought at my age I had learned all I ever wanted to. Now I am motivated and the war department is happy to have me out of the house.BigGrin

Yes Sir and good for you......The research I have done told me with this type of system once your column was hot not to push the vapors thru the condensor, turn the heat down so that all was getting condensed.....thats why I ask that question, lol I wanted to know if it in fact did work as described........thanks for clearing that up for me.....maybe I will feel better about pursueing this rig........I like the concept!!!!!!!!!
Offline Hawk67  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2012 10:35:23 AM(UTC)
Hawk67

Nice lookin set up, had you a good run yet? I'm getting ready to put one together myself, just collecting the bits and pieces.I'm thinking about a valved Refluxer although I may just go ahead and build the Potstill style condenser at the same time, I have several Triclamps and rings of various sizes so it would be a quick swap over, never know when ya may want a change of pace and run some apple, peach, or some other fashion of brandy, its my understanding that a Refluxer will mostly produce neutral spirits only.. I am still in the learning curve so a bit wavy as far as committing to a specific style or type.
Offline ShelbyStill  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2012 11:56:15 PM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Originally Posted by: Hawk67 Go to Quoted Post
Nice lookin set up, had you a good run yet? I'm getting ready to put one together myself, just collecting the bits and pieces.I'm thinking about a valved Refluxer although I may just go ahead and build the Potstill style condenser at the same time, I have several Triclamps and rings of various sizes so it would be a quick swap over, never know when ya may want a change of pace and run some apple, peach, or some other fashion of brandy, its my understanding that a Refluxer will mostly produce neutral spirits only.. I am still in the learning curve so a bit wavy as far as committing to a specific style or type.

Hawk the one we built (pictured) will operate as a pot still by simply closing the reflux valve and removing the packing. We have had one run but the wash was bad and our "neutral" ended up tasting like lighter fluid.Sad I poured it in my truck and burned it. We are going to pot still an apple brandy that has finished fermenting and we are clearing it now. The wine itself is really good, in fact so good that I hate to still it. I look forward to great success with it. We also have another sugar wash that is coming along nicely and I expect a good run with it as well. The sugar wash just started a few days ago and we plan on running both in about 2 weeks. I will post the results. Oh and thank you, we worked hard at it, the column is 2 inch and the condenser is 3 inch with a cooling coil from 1/4 inch copper that we hand coiled, that probably took as long to get right than soldering the rest of the rig. It's a little top heavy so we have to secure it topside so as not to have an accident. The picture was taken after we finished it but we have made some mod's to the water in/outputs so that they are not so flimsy.
Offline Hawk67  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:24:45 AM(UTC)
Hawk67

Shelby
Looking forward to hearing about your latest results, I have a Cider Mill just up the road from me and have a deal in the works with the owner, along with a couple micro brewery and an old Boss with a winery the micros tend to throw out old inventory and the winery tosses unsavory batches, what they haven't figured out is how to recover the alcohol instead of throwing it out I will just run it through, and in return they get "some" sipping Hooch, and I get to run a still for very low cost.
Offline curtsat15  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 7:36:59 PM(UTC)
curtsat15

Great rig Shelby! And sounds like you got an awesome deal going Hawk! Wish I had those kind of neighbors.
Offline ShelbyStill  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:35:32 AM(UTC)
ShelbyStill

Originally Posted by: curtsat15 Go to Quoted Post
Great rig Shelby! And sounds like you got an awesome deal going Hawk! Wish I had those kind of neighbors.

Thanks friend, we just ran it for the 2nd time and had great success with an apple wine we had made. The wine itself was so good that I almost hated to distill it. In fact we racked a gallon to save and sip while working around the shop. We ended up with 8 pints not including the heads and tails. We'll run the tails with our sugar wash next week.