logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:32:08 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Hi All,
I'm just a bit more than a month or so on the forum. I'll be buying a PS2 HC around February or sooner if I get the cash. Currently in the research phase and learning a lot.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:08:16 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Welcome mad dawg-- or dawgs---- enjoy the forum===etc etc etc lol
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:05:19 AM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

Hello all glad to be here. Finding much needed info.
Offline Maddawgs  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:34:47 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi Scotty,
It's maddawgs. My screen name comes from my two minpins who are maddawgs. It's my screen name that I use on all the forums I'm on.
Todd
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:21:22 PM(UTC)
scotty

OK Todd---:) Just trying to get this thread rolling. It wouldnt hurt for regulars to introduce themselves too.
Offline muadib2001  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:27:14 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Not Texas born, but I got here as soon as I could. Pot stiller. Beer keg, copper worm. 'Nuf said?
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:43:10 PM(UTC)
scotty

you signature tickles my curiosity. I recognise the OMEGA but cant begin to decipher the whole meaning. Would you care to assist if it is not too private :) :)
Offline muadib2001  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:02:02 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

The Ancient Greek phrase (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!) means "Come and take them". It is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:20:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: muadib2001 Go to Quoted Post
The Ancient Greek phrase (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!) means "Come and take them". It is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe

Wow i remember the story of the spartans.Thanks. Back in port jefferson NY high school we had a weight lifting club called the spartans.

" Come and take them" It sends a chill down my spine.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:51:05 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
The Ancient Greek phrase (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!) means ""Come and take them"".
Muadib, I'd really love to see your personal library, brother! I get that feeling that you've read some interesting stuff. Are you making melange along with your spirits?Wink

--JB"
Offline Hokey  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 1:48:17 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi everyone. Been reading the forum for a month or so, typing for a week or so. Great info, thanks. Just have Air Still now,Have done three washes (1 bad 2 good). Am waiting for rum wash to finish fermenting. Planning on PSII after a cruise in Feb.
Offline cczero  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 5:34:10 AM(UTC)
cczero

"
The Ancient Greek phrase (ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!) means ""Come and take them"". It is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe

I thought maybe it was from Dune. It's a killing word. Forget the exact quote but the good guy assembles his army and with the 'speak' of his name the weapon fires. Mauadib. Anyone else remember that movie? or book?"
Offline muadib2001  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:15:06 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Are you making melange along with your spirits?Wink

From Wikipedia, on "Dune": In Dune, there is only one source of melange: the sands of the planet Arrakis. Frank Herbert notes in Dune that a pre-spice mass is "the stage of fungusoid wild growth achieved when water is flooded into the excretions of Little Makers," the "half-plant-half-animal deep-sand vector of the Arrakis sandworm." Gases are produced which result in "a characteristic 'blow,' exchanging the material from deep underground for the matter on the surface above it." This blow is explosive in nature, erupting with enough force to kill anyone in the vicinity of it.

It certainly sounds like Frank Herbert was talking about us brewers..."fungusoid", "Little Makers", "Gases are produced...". Wouldn't you consider yeast to be the "spice of life"?

Works for me!
Offline muadib2001  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:19:33 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: cczero Go to Quoted Post
I thought maybe it was from Dune. It's a killing word. Forget the exact quote but the good guy assembles his army and with the 'speak' of his name the weapon fires. Mauadib. Anyone else remember that movie? or book?

Yes, "Dune" the book and the movie. From Wikipedia: The change literalizes Paul's line "My own name is a killing word." In the novel, the Fremen shout his Fremen name, "Muad'Dib," as a battle cry; in the film, the Fremen are surprised to find that saying "Muad'Dib" is a powerful trigger for the Weirding Module.
Offline cczero  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:33:24 PM(UTC)
cczero

"
From Wikipedia, on ""Dune"": In Dune, there is only one source of melange: the sands of the planet Arrakis. Frank Herbert notes in Dune that a pre-spice mass is ""the stage of fungusoid wild growth achieved when water is flooded into the excretions of Little Makers,"" the ""half-plant-half-animal deep-sand vector of the Arrakis sandworm."" Gases are produced which result in ""a characteristic 'blow,' exchanging the material from deep underground for the matter on the surface above it."" This blow is explosive in nature, erupting with enough force to kill anyone in the vicinity of it.

It certainly sounds like Frank Herbert was talking about us brewers...""fungusoid"", ""Little Makers"", ""Gases are produced..."". Wouldn't you consider yeast to be the ""spice of life""?

Works for me!

Now I really need to watch the movie again from the perspective you've presented Muadib."
Offline muadib2001  
#16 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 1:02:29 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

You may not get the same "view" from the movie. They leave out a lot from the book (Hollywood, go figure...). I'm getting all my information from Wikipedia. The movie doesn't explain a lot; it just presents it and you have to either know it or read the book, however, I thought the movie was good (contrary to public opinion). Owell...

It was my spin on Herbert's quote that linked melange to brewing. It just seemed to "fit".
Offline Maddawgs  
#17 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:26:06 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: cczero Go to Quoted Post
I thought maybe it was from Dune. It's a killing word. Forget the exact quote but the good guy assembles his army and with the 'speak' of his name the weapon fires. Mauadib. Anyone else remember that movie? or book?

Hi cczero,
Read Frank Herbert's entire Dune series. It was a great read and I would recommend it. The central character was "Muadib" and the big traded item was the spice melange which pretty much got everyone high and the ultimate item to get in the universe was water. Could have that a bit off as it was almost 30 years ago that I read the series. Sting (Gordon Sumter--from the police) starred in the movie which was about six hours of awful. I had hoped that after he finished the Lord of the Rings that Peter Jackson might take on the project.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:33:53 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

You may not get the same "view" from the movie. They leave out a lot from the book (Hollywood, go figure...). I'm getting all my information from Wikipedia. The movie doesn't explain a lot; it just presents it and you have to either know it or read the book, however, I thought the movie was good (contrary to public opinion). Owell...

It was my spin on Herbert's quote that linked melange to brewing. It just seemed to "fit".

Hi muadib,
After spending months reading the series (a great read) and then finding out that (I think) David Lynch from twin peaks fame was going to do the movie I was exited until I saw it. The movie was such a let down and very boring where as the books drew you in. Some day some one will come along a do a good movie version.
Maddawgs