logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dasorge  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:06:27 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Groups: Registered

"I found a whiskey recipe that calls for 80% corn, 12% rye and 8% malt (6 row). I'm assuming the malt is barley. What the recipe doesn't indicate is the amount need for each grain. I did find something that could be translated to a 10 gal batch. It looks something like this: 10 gal water, 12lb corn, 1.8 lb rye, 1.2 lb malt then possibly 12 lb sugar and 1/5 cup of yeast. Dose this sound right?

Another ratio I found calls for 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) grain for each 4 litre/1 gal. This would mean for a 10 gal batch, I'd need 33 lbs of grain. This seems like a lot of grain. Is there another ration for grain mixtures I could use for making whiskey?"
Offline dasorge  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:27:23 AM(UTC)
dasorge

I must have stumped everyone on this one, eh?
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:50:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Stumped me..which aint hard by any means. I aint got a clue about how much sugar corn can cough up under a malt mashing scenario. Course since the malt is also sugar guess you get a dose there. Still thinking that sprouting be the best way to fly for them who likes to do the alchemy of turning corn to sugar. It all seems a bit mysterious and labor intensive with hit or miss results to the uninitiated. Imperial Sugar is our friend. How did the high viscosity boil come out?
Offline dasorge  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:37:13 AM(UTC)
dasorge

I guess my question is...... as a general rule of thumb, how many pounds of grain is needed in for one gallon of whater? Then as you increase your water amount the amount of grain would increase proportionally. In my examples before, the first one would use 15 lbs grain for 10 gallons of water, but in the second one, you would need 33 lbs of grain for 10 gallons of water if using a 3.3 lbs per gal ratio. Just trying to figure out which one works, which one is over kill, etc.
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:20:07 AM(UTC)

Well I think this brings us back to square one here. Do anybody have any idear how much sugar can be coaxed out of corn using proper techniques and ingredients? I dont have a clue. The only way I can figger out to approach it is mash all you can mash. Check the starting specific gravity and see if its sweet enough to suit. If it aint add sugar to get it where you want it. That should work. This would of course entail finding somebody who know what all them little squiggly marks and high decimal place numbers on the wash checker is all about.
Offline muadib2001  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:09:56 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

In my first corn ferment, I used 7 lbs of corn in a 5 gallon wash and about 7 lbs of sugar. See http://www.brewhausforum.com/sh...ad.php?t=2082&page=2

The corn sucked up most all the liquid, even though I squeezed the corn after the ferment was complete. Maybe I didn't boil the corn long enough. Confused Anyway, I got corn flavor in the distillate, but not much distillate.

On my next corn ferment, I used 8 lbs of corn (again, boiled), ~18 lbs of sugar and almost 13 gallons of water. I wanted to make sure I was left with 10 gallons of fermented wash. I got the volume of distillate I wanted, but the flavor was a little less.

You're going where very few of us have gone...an all grain wash. From what I understand, it is very difficult to do.
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:41:32 PM(UTC)

Very glad somebody show up who knows sheet from Shineola on this bizness. Wished yall hadn't have got Oh Yeah Yeah turned so mute. He knows all about this kinda stuff. Scotty and Heeler and LWTCS does too but this is Sat night in the big City. They prob out chasing wimmen this time of evening. Belching fire on the Harleys etc. Who knows? The cute strippers look good on the rear seating most likely. Also on the handlebars.
Offline muadib2001  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:10:46 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Very glad somebody show up who knows sheet from Shineola on this bizness.

I'm glad you admit you don't know "sheet from Shineola". It confirms what we've known for a long time.
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:13:57 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: muadib2001 Go to Quoted Post
I'm glad you admit you don't know ""sheet from Shineola"". It confirms what we've known for a long time.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin:"
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:28:41 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

That first grain bill looks like the grain bill JD uses.
As far as how much grain per gallon that depends on how strong a beer you want to make. The big outfitters like JD and JB run their washes up around 10% while some of the boutique bourbon makers run as low as 3%. The strength of your wash will have a drastic effect on your end product.
I only ran one beer up at 10% using corn,rye and malted barley and i didn't like the end result. Kind of reminded me of knob creek. At around 6% with the same grain bill i get a flavor i much prefer more like Makers. I would like to experiment with even weaker beers but when you are doing it on such a small scale its a lot of work for such little end product.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:39:14 AM(UTC)

Thanks for that info. I have been trying to talk them into a much more rational approach which is.. learning to love good white dawg sugar shine. That makes everybody's life much simpler seems like. None of the terminal hangovers which come from cloned versions of storebought hooch etc. No stirring boiling corn with a boat oar all night. Some folks are just too picky huh?
Offline muadib2001  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:22:06 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Damn, JB! I'm in awe! That's an excellent explanation!

(sorry for the expletive...)
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:01:23 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

From what i have gathered through research having a lower overall ºL means longer mash time for full conversion. Around a 70/15/15 ratio (corn/malt barley/rye) is a pretty common bourbon grain bill and would only hit an average of 24ºL. Looking at the grain bills for popular bourbon whiskys you really wont find much higher then 15% malted barely and i don't think they are using added enzymes considering most of these recipes will pre-date the availability of them.

Adding a "sugar head" instead of mashing is a whole different ball of wax and not a suitable method for anyone interested in making bourbon or whisky in general.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:46:59 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Ohyeah,

Quote:
Around a 70/15/15 ratio (corn/malt barley/rye) is a pretty common bourbon grain bill and would only hit an average of 24ºL.
Keep in mind that I used unmalted rye in my example to keep things simple.

If you were to use a malted rye -- which seems likely if you're going for flavor (like Briess Rye Malt with DP 105ºL), and the proportions you have given (70/15/15) you would have an average DP of 40ºL ... which is consistent with the recommended 40 - 50ºL average.

BTW: I've been scratching my head a bit WRT dealing with all of that corn -- I get this image in my mind of this giant dough ball stuck to the end of my spoon? Confused Have you tried mashing with those proportions yet? Any experience you can share would be very welcomed.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:10:18 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I have never seen a reicpe that called for malted rye though i do understand it exists.

I have no idea what wrt means, not much into acronyms.

Yes i've used the recipe several times. If you have never mashed i suggest trying it, its a pretty neat process. If you don't use any malt while cooking your corn(pre-mashing) then yes you end up with a big ball of corn. Then at the correct temp you add your malt and stir it in. Come back 15min later to stir and the ball is breaking up. Keep doing that for a couple hours and everytime you come back it keeps getting thinner and thinner until its like soup. At that point i will put it in the fermentor with some 140º water to thin it out a bit more as my pot for cooking corn is only 7gal. Then it sits overnight and by morning is around 80-90º at which point i pitch my yeast.
Now i always throw a pound of 6 row in to premash though. It prevents it from forming that big ball of gelatinized corn.

Another good article on mashing.
http://www.byo.com/stori...make-those-enzymes-dance