logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2012 12:47:00 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

This is a recipe that I just completed and got some decent results.

- Ingredients - (5 Gallon Batch)

3lbs of Malt Extract Syrup. (I used Rye).
5lbs white granulated sugar.
4.5gal water or whatever it takes to fill your 5 Gal vessel.
1 packet of bread yeast.

I heated about 2-3 gallons of water to 140-145F and then stirred in my malt syrup. Killed the heat and kept stirring for about 5 minutes and then added the sugar. Stir it to let it all dissolve then it's ready to cool down and pitch the yeast. I pitch mine at 85F. I also re-hydrated my yeast while the wort cooled. Fermentation took me about 8-9 days.

You should expect about 3-4 good jars of nice shine with some heads/tails to throw in the next batch also.
Offline Mkjt88  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:40:03 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

I got mine from http://www.northernbrewer.com/ the place you got there I only seem to find the smallest jug they offer is 5gal and can't find a price. I think their more for bigger time than I... They offer it by the barrel or even rail car and tank trucks. If the 5 gal is reasonably priced then it could be an investment because a gallon of the stuff could get you 10 washes of my recipe or 50 washes out of it if you only add about 12.8 oz to a wash with grains or more sugar. I say the 12.8 because I broke it down from what popcorn used with 50 gal compared to my 5 gal fermenter... that recipe broke down would make 50 of the 5 gal washes using his.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:13:28 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Mkjt88,

What was the flavor like? ... and would you use the recipe again, as is? ... or did you get an itch to mix in some other ingredients?

Just curious ... it seems like a fun way to play around with flavors.

--JB
Offline Mkjt88  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:02:34 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

I think after it airs out for 2 days with a towel over it it's pretty damn good. The first batch I dunno what happened but it had more of a stinky smell than the second.. I did the same recipe to just half cup or so more sugar which wouldn't change anything. My pot did overflow a bit so maybe the worm was nasty that time I dunno. It defiantly has a different taste than my cornmeal mashes but isn't a huge difference. I would do it again the same recipe just kinda pricey... and of course I've thought of adding some grain.. I would use less malt extract and add some dry in there with it for what I'd figure would add some nice flavor.. What I really want is about atleast 50+% dry malted barley and then add either the rest in extract or add combo of extract and sugar.. Bet it would be pretty tasty that way.