logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:08:18 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

I am finding malt to be in many whiskey recipes but cannot find it anywhere in the stores.. Where is a good place to find some and what is a common malt used in whiskey?
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:41:07 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey 88 try a beer brewing supply store. They usually carry malted grains, mostly barley, and also dry malt powders. Light, Amber, Dark, Sparling Amber, and Wheat, are all prety common dry malts. Most shops also carry liquid malts at least in Light, Amber, and Dark.
If you want to do an all grain mash it takes a little more effort and time. It's best to start off with a dry or liquid malt brew untill you learn about mashing.

Have Fun.
Offline Mkjt88  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:56:14 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Ok been searching and northernbrewer keeps showing up so I'll stick to them. I found a Simple liquid malt sugar yeast and water recipe that I'm going to try so it should be a success
Offline Mkjt88  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 2:33:15 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Until I get better educated in this field I wanna buy what I know is good :) This place is 9.99 for 3.15lbs or 6lbs for $15. Its kinda high but the trouble of making my own this doesn't seem to bad as I can make quite a few 4 gal washes with it if I buy the 6lbs. http://www.northernbrewer.com
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:59:27 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"It's best to start off with a dry or liquid malt brew untill you learn about mashing.
I totally agree, get a feel for the craft and the other stuff will come in time. You will learn what works and what wont once you learn what each component is supposed to do.
I found a Simple liquid malt sugar yeast and water recipe that I'm going to try so it should be a success
Atta boy, have you heard of the --KISS-- method??? I live my life by this montra and it works for me so when I get in depth in something I say to myself....Keep It Simple Stupid. HaHaHa the simpler the better for my pea brain. Good luck and happy stillin."
Offline Mkjt88  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:07:28 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Lol that's how I see it to buddy.. Want easy simple alcohol :) I ordered 6lbs of malt so once I get it I'll probably start another batch and see if I like it or the cornmeal better.
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:58:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
MK, what type malt did you order?? LME,DME or a grain malt like wheat -corn-or rye? Not that it really matters I'm just being nosey.
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:51:37 AM(UTC)
scotty

Grain is if you want flavor/a whiskey--sigar produces no distinct flavor unless you rush the ferment Sadlol
Offline Mkjt88  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:19:04 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

I ordered Rye Malt Syrup.. rye is used in some whiskey recipes and is easy and ready to use.

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
MK, what type malt did you order?? LME,DME or a grain malt like wheat -corn-or rye? Not that it really matters I'm just being nosey.

And I read the grain is more flavor.. I'm gonna give the syrup malt a try since I just have to dump it in and stir :) And I'm gonna see if it's worth the money if not I'm back to cornmeal for now.

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Grain is if you want flavor/a whiskey--sigar produces no distinct flavor unless you rush the ferment Sadlol
Offline Outland  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 2:03:22 PM(UTC)
Outland

I've been in the process of making a single malt "scotch" (since by law its not really Scotch since I'm not doing it there); a single barley malt. My wife is the family beer maker and she cooks up some fine brew. Anyway she goes to a local beer making shop sells all thats necessary at a fair price, so now I just give her a list and sometime during the day its at home! I've gotten 3 different malted barleys and the price range is around $2.50- 3.00/ lb for the 3 types I bought: peat smoked; cherrywood smoked; and 6 row American pale...note this is malted grain, not syrup. BTW, I'm not mixing them' making separate batches
Offline Outland  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:56:30 AM(UTC)
Outland

BW, yep saw the movie, more than once. As well I was a bit confused about multiple malts, not sure if I agree with his logic about the malts but everything else seems on the button, so I won't quibble... each batch I'll only use one malt.