logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 7:49:29 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"I found a 1000ml american made for 40 dollars shipped.

Where do i find ingredients for essential oil distilling.

A friend says lavender-- ????"
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 8:13:06 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

Hi Scotty, my wife really likes Lavender so we grow some ourselves, 6 plants in our back yard. We also have some friends with a loooong driveway that is lined with Lavender. So our supply is pretty good. For other plant materials I've used this website for ordering. If find a better place let me know.

http://www.mountainroseh...om/bulkherb/bulkherb.php

BTW good price on the biomass flask.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 10:00:25 AM(UTC)
scotty

Bushey do you use a separator funnel/flask? I am just visualising distilling about 500---1000 ml of something and then letting it sit so the oil floats to the top???
Offline Bushy  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:17:54 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Scotty I use an essential oil seperator. You can see it on the e-bay site listed below. This guy has quite a bit of lab glass at resonable prices.
I'm converting my old pressure cooker pot still into an essential oil still. I'm useing a 10Qt pot for the boiler and an 8Qt pot for the bio mass pot. A friend of mine gave me a 2 1/2' X 2 1/2' x 1/16" sheet of stainless with 3/32" holes all over it that I'm useing to make the bio mass basket to go in the bio pot. The old lab set up I have is just tooo small for what I need to do. But I am useing the same seperator as it works really well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/...&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Hope this helps.

Have Fun
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 2:20:55 PM(UTC)
scotty

Thanks for the reply.

Now i'm trying to find a basic starter batch proportions. My lab still has a 500 ml boiler and will have a 1000 ml bio flask. Im going to order some dried lavender flowers---1 pound but have no idea where to start. I have a second ss boiler that i really dont like and a small pot tower if i want to eventually go larger.
Right now just some sort of starter advice will help.

Or what book shal i buy?? Im a total greenhorn here.
Offline Bushy  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:17:00 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Scotty you'll have to put a SS screen in the bottom of your bio flask to keep everything from falling down. With a 500ml boiler and a 1000ml bio I would start with a full boiler and a half full bio flask. If you are collecting in a erlinmyer flask or beaker you need to keep an eye on the oil level floating on top of the hydrosol as the plants become depleated the oil level will slow and then stop gaining depth. You'll also need to keep track of the water level in your boiler so you don't run dry, also if you have a lot of water left you can add more plant material next run. With my old lab glass I used a larger 2000ml boiler with a 1000ml bio flask packed full with something like lavender. If it was Lemon Balm I chop the leaves up into about quarters and then I will pack it looser because it will pack itself down pretty well.
As far as books go I really can't recommend one, I have'nt found one that's worth while. The web site I gave you is pretty good. You have to skim through it and find the parts you are interested in. For me they are scattered all through it.
For example Hydrodistillation is around pg 40-49 and also 140-155, I think. But basically hydrostillin is just like running a wash. The hardest part is figuring out which plants do well with water and which ones want a water alcohol mix, and then which ones won't work with either. I wanted to still some tuberose for my wife then found out it is collected by placing on a bed of fat, etc, etc.
I learn best through doing things. This hobby has been a hit or miss kind of process. Fortunatly more hits than misses. I pay attention to what I do so it can be replicated next time----or not.
Any way hope this helps you get started and if you do come across a GOOD book let me know.

Have Fun.
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 10:42:25 PM(UTC)
scotty

I have stainless mesh. I saw how it is used in a wikapedia description of oil distilling. I guess i will eventually either get a 1000 or 1000+ glass boiler. I see that i should also have a separator funell. There are some plastic clips that aid in keeping the components together. Do you use the clips?? ((( KECK CLIPS )))

This is getting very interesting.

PS
My mash tun thermowell installation has no leaks. I now will add the power cord and the ranco temp control but they will not be mounted onto the tun. I will use a plexiglass sheet so the control, relay and on/off switch can be used on other tanks.

The website is getting very busy. I trashed and banned one spammer this morning but the variety of subjects and new members is very incouraging.

Thanks for the help Bushey.

I had seen so many folks in the thread that spawned this idea but now no takers. I wonder why????
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:26:37 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Scotty, have you recieved your new bio flask yet, and more to the point have you run anything in it yet?
I've just about finished converting the pressuer cooker into the essential oil still. A few more holes to drill and make the basket then I'll be ready to put it together. Starting to get excited about this project. It's a different design I came up with due to materials and size contraints.
Let me know how the new flask works.
Have Fun.
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:48:12 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Yes Bushey. I however have packed it and the glass still away because im trying to neaten up my still controls and mashing controlls.

The corn project was a flop. I really need to mash some grain and get a sugar wash going.
I also want to modify my PS11 so that the reflux all returns to the middle of the copper mesh.

I alrady have the liebig valved and i have the water controll, pump and radiator waiting but have nothing to run.

I honestly am in this hobby for the gadgetry lol lol

I was disapionted in the response to this new forum because i had seen so many guests talking about essential oils a couple of weeks back,"
Offline Bushy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:15:35 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hey Scotty, I;ve heard of returning from the condenser back to the middle of the tower and have seen some stills that have that on them but I don't understand why that's done. The only thing I can think of is it would work like a thumper on a pot still, but I don't see the advantage on a reflux tower.
So tell me what I'm missing please.

Please be more specific. I dont know what you are referring to.
I know that I rambled a bit in my post.:)
Offline Bushy  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2012 6:27:27 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Scotty, What is the purpose of doing this?

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I also want to modify my PS11 so that the reflux all returns to the middle of the copper mesh. ,

I like the way the LM still return some of the liquid back to the middle of the packing--it seems more efficient
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 4:23:31 AM(UTC)
scotty

Sorry i edited your post with my reply-- im still not great at this.

Here is a basic idea. I will however stagger the height of the fingers to allow more steam to pass and also groove the fingers a bit

UserPostedImage