logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:14:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"This is a juice and hooch recipe and I'm gonna add some pictures soas to help carry along the explaination, hope ya'll enjoy and try this soon.
I use 2 jugs of juice one is clear and the other is cider together they total about 3 quarts. So here ya go....Cool
2 jugs of Martinellis juice (1 and half qts each)
5 cinammon sticks
10 little cloves
1/4 a cup of sugar
1 qt. and 1/2 pint of 130 proof neutral ( Gerber likker) (Approx. 40oz's of likker)
I steep this for 45 minutes to extract all the essences from the cloves and cinammon. Once its steeped I pour it through a strainer to get as much of the cider stuff as possible cause someone said once ewwww that looks gross. Then I put it in the fridge until its cool and then I add the hooch. I store it in quart jars cause it just seems easier to pass it out or hit in a hurry. RollEyes"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:20:37 AM(UTC)
heeler

"UserPostedImage
This is my steeping pot and you can see the spices I use I'm sure lots will work also the Juice I used.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:24:01 AM(UTC)
heeler

This is my strainer tea jug with the filter of sorts on top toUserPostedImage catch all the whatnots. The sticks and cloves and stuff.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:28:39 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is the juice waiting for the addition of hooch and the amount of 130 that I add to it. At this point its cooled and I'm gonna add it up and put it in quart jars. This is just the way I found that works with the least amount of work and it seems to be ok so I prolly wont change it for now.Cool

UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:34:36 AM(UTC)
heeler

I did this today in about an hour and a half. Fl. is feeling the effects of hurricane Isaac today so I thought since I'm stuck inside I mightas well make some Applepie. Of course I already had the likker but then dont we all. This recipe really is just that easy so givera go sometime.
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 4:39:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

Something I just remembered...if you want this with more of a kick you can always just add alittle more 130 proof. I read once where someone wanted to add some really high proof and if you want well go ahead but at least try it this way frist, it really does have a good kick. Anyway hope ya'll enjoy.
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:01:28 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Great recipe. Im going to copy it now

We made ricotta this morning.----Mainly because of the shut in weather here in lecanto FL."
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:11:53 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

The only thing I do different is I add a small nutmeg nut cracked into about 4 pieces. Adds a little zing to the drink.
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:32:58 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ya know I did that once too, but my wife pointed out that there is no nutmeg in applepie#$^&^&^%%$$# I never used the real nuts just the powder spice and I used so little it did'nt really add anything to it. And since I call it Applepie.....well I figgered I'd stick to the original, but hey if its good to you then by all means go with it. Hell try other things and see if it gets better, let us know.
Oh - try not to used too much sugar I found that tooo sweet is kind of a turn off, it can really lay hard on ur guts. Happy stillin"
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 4:44:10 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is my Applepie stash from the fixins the other day. Its ready for the weekend and whomever may stop by. Mmmmmmmm

UserPostedImage"
#11 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2012 7:15:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Looking good. Ever tried it with clear juices? Think a person could skip the filtering less they worried about little flecks of cinnamon. Allow the folks to see the little apple slices huddled up on the bottom etc. Bound to improve the eye appeal but flavor might suffer. Aint got around to trying the unfiltered stuff yet. Trusting that murky look aint ice box haze or something:)
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 05, 2012 2:27:23 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Looking good. Ever tried it with clear juices? Think a person could skip the filtering less they worried about little flecks of cinnamon. Allow the folks to see the little apple slices huddled up on the bottom etc. Bound to improve the eye appeal but flavor might suffer. Aint got around to trying the unfiltered stuff yet. Trusting that murky look aint ice box haze or something:)

Ya know I haven't done it with just the clear juice but might one day. Why dont you give it a try with your CM hooch and see if it hides the likker as well as the combination of the two juices. I'm always willing to learn something new, hell it might be the best ( clear juice only) I'm curious if the corn flavor will seep through into the apple flavor????"
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:05:28 AM(UTC)
heeler

Well I guess now we'll never know if the corn meal flavor will seep through into the applepie flavor.....knowwhatImean?????
Offline Mkjt88  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:52:37 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Well when I made mine I used a cm wash. Now I mixed some stuff that was a little tailsy in there to rid of it and here's my verdict. The cm seemed hidden prett good.. Now the taste of the tails.. They seeped through. While getting over that taste it seemed ok. I'd say a cm wash tha was clean to start should be masked pretty decently as it covered "most" of my stinky tails.
Offline shovelhead91701  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:49:47 AM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

This has now become my signature recipe. No one in my group even wants anything else. I have used my sugar wash and bad wine runs to make the pie and both were good. I have also altered the amount of sugar in the recipe to make it less sweet(per requests) Now the problem comes in that I can't keep up with my drunky-in-laws demand.BigGrin I hope that the rye wash turns out well so that they might ease up on the pie, if not there will be none left for Christmas!

BTW I have used the clear juice and cider as well as the cloudy/pulpy. Both tasted the same to me but my group prefers the clear look!
Offline heeler  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:20:44 PM(UTC)
heeler

"That's cool to hear...what proof was the hooch you added?? Did you stick with the 130??

I think my next run of AP I'll try the clear juice too.

Did the cinnamon or cloves leave any residue behind that was noticable in the clear juice??

I also keep the sugar addition on the light side..it just seems sweet enough for me..

On another note, for the Christmas season I made some of the RedHot candy likker too. I leave that at 100 proof. Gotta have some color for the season."
Offline shovelhead91701  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:37:33 PM(UTC)
shovelhead91701

I used 130 proof and added it until my wife said that it was perfect............ Then I added another pint......Blushing

No residue to speak of and I just strained through a SS strainer, no pantyhose, coffee filters etc.

That red hots recipe actually surprised me as did the Altoids one.... I used two drops of green food coloring in the Altoids one just so I would have red and green for christmas.Cool
Offline Maddawgs  
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:52:22 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
This is a juice and hooch recipe and I'm gonna add some pictures soas to help carry along the explaination, hope ya'll enjoy and try this soon.
I use 2 jugs of juice one is clear and the other is cider together they total about 3 quarts. So here ya go....Cool
2 jugs of Martinellis juice (1 and half qts each)
5 cinammon sticks
10 little cloves
and 1/2 a cup of sugar
I steep this for 45 minutes to extract all the essences from the cloves and cinammon. Once its steeped I pour it through a strainer to get as much of the cider stuff as possible cause someone said once ewwww that looks gross. Then I put it in the fridge until its cool and then I add the hooch. I store it in quart jars cause it just seems easier to pass it out or hit in a hurry. RollEyes

Hi heeler,
Sounds really tasty, this will be my first flavoring experiment with what I hope are good results from my first run. I'll be using your recipe from "yesterday's run"
Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 6:07:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Cool, I wish I could say that I invented this recipe but I didn't. I just tweaked it a bunch of times until I got what it is now. I found that too much sugar is not as good. Someone posted that he used no sugar and I bet thats good too. I have recnelty lowered the amount I use too, I use this little scoop but I'm not sure what the measurment would be but its not much. And the 130 seems to be that just right proof so its a pretty big hit with everybody.
Now that the holidays are upon us I have stocked up on AP and the Redhot likker."
Offline FLBOY  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 2:24:46 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

Great recipe. I made mine with the clear Martinelli's juice and cider about 3 weeks ago. Took a taste to the hunt camp this weekend and it was a big hit.