logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:10:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi gang:

Well the move has been hectic but I am almost back up to being able to make a batch. Florida is a hoot, I have a pond behind my house and up about fifty yards and I saw an alligator in it yesterday. If I push real hard I can almost get enough boxes on one side of the garage to get a car in. John you will be happy to note that I had a 240 plug put into my garage. I asked the electrician if 5K watts were too much and he said no but he wouldn't go much over that. That will give me 5K on one side of the keg and 1500 on the other. I can't wait to see how long it will take to get up to drip temp with this sucker.

I now have the communications back up and am looking forward to going back and reading all of your posts for the past month or so.

By the way, is everything still on for Georgia in September?

Cheers
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:17:04 PM(UTC)

Elricko,you got to watch out for the gaters,when your fishing in those lakes.Ive had them just come out of the water real fast,strait at you.
Also watch out for rattlesnakes,cottonmouths,and coral snakes.I used to live just north of orlando.Welcome back.
wineo
#3 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 1:24:58 AM(UTC)

Elricko,
Sounds like you like FL. 5KW 240/1/60 draws around 22 amps. Check wire size and breaker size you may be able to go bigger. But still check wire and breaker sizes to make sure it is correct. You will have about 17,000BTUS with that heater propane heaters are around 50,000.
#4 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 5:05:52 AM(UTC)

Wineo:

Thanks for the heads up, I'm keeping on my side of the road from that pond. I haven't seen any snakes yet so that's good. We had one of the people in our neighborhood mauled by a gator a couple of weeks ago when he tried to retrieve his wifes ball from a pond on one of our golf courses. He beat it off with the ball retriever but still ended up in the hospital. I think he was more embarrassed than hurt. I guess it's time to make some gator spit rum.

wvriver:

I'm using one of the new four prong clothes dryer chords. The wire size is huge. Sorry pal, you know how I feel about propane. 190 proof Ethanol + propane = Kaboom!

Cheers from the tropics!
#5 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 6:02:48 AM(UTC)

To those who have experience grinding grain.I have someone who has a grain mill which has an actual stone type setup.It has an electric motor on it and it is adjustable as far as how corse you would want to grind the grain. I was wondering if this sounds like it would be suitable in the processing of grain for ethanol production? any opinions would be appreciated. He wants like $75 for it.
#6 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 6:56:41 AM(UTC)

cooker:

Yes. $75 is a great price for a grain mill even if it didn't have a motor. You can use it to make all kinds of things where you use grain such as scotch.

Cheers
#7 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 7:26:43 AM(UTC)

Elricko:
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping you would say that. I will let you know how it works out.
Jim
#8 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2007 2:13:00 PM(UTC)

The price is good for a grain mill. But think about what you need your mill to do. If you want to grind grains for flour, or meal, a rotating stone is great. However, if you want to crush grains/malts for mashing, the ideal mill is one with a pair of rollers that the grain passes between. The grain will be cracked open exposing the center where the good stuff is that you want to convert during mashing. These mills leave the kernel mostly together. If ground too small, it is more difficult to sparge the grain as there is less space between the grain pieces for water to pass. This applies mostly to brewing, of course, but if you are doing both ,brewing and distilling, you might as well get the most bang for your buck.