logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline abear  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 7:29:34 AM(UTC)
abear

Groups: Registered

"Hey guys. i have my first still and ready to try it out. I am very new to this and have been reading a bunch of stuff on the internet on finding mash recipes. I am looking for an easy, but good recipe for a first timer. (No sweet feed recipe because i cannot find all grain sweet feed around here).

Looking forward to any recipes and tips that may help me out in my new hobby that my wife is not too excited about!

Cheers"
Offline hawkeyewanabe  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:40:05 AM(UTC)
hawkeyewanabe

The recipe section on this site has several. Obviously, a sugar wash is easiest. also,look for the gerber baby food recipe. It's a good starter recipe too.
Offline muadib2001  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:56:03 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Thanks to Rad14701 on HomeDistiller for this recipe:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/...opic.php?f=14&t=9981

Per 5 gallon batch:

• 8.75 lb sugar
  • 4.35 gallons water
  • 3.75 to 5 cups crushed All Bran cereal
  • 1/2 cup active baking yeast (or whatever yeast you choose to use, adjust quantity for your yeast)
Process

• Simmer equal amounts of water and sugar for 30 minutes or longer to invert sugar.
  • Combine boiled components with cold water and cereal to bring up to total volume.
  • Let cool to 95F.
  • Pitch yeast.
  • Aerate for one hour.
  • Cap and insert air lock.
Notes

• For a 5 gallon total wash, the starting SG should be ~1.08 and produce 12.3% ABV.
  • No lemon juice was used while inverting the sugar. Doing so may or may not be of benefit.
  • A full cup of cereal may be more than required for a 4 liter batch. 3/4 cup should be enough.
  • With all of the vitamins and minerals present within this cereal it appears that no other ingredients should be required.
  • Should fully ferment dry within 7 days.
  • The wash should start to clear by the time the ferment is complete so it can be racked directly into the boiler, leaving the solids behind.
  • This recipe should provide good results with pot stills or reflux stills.
  • Essentially, 1 liter water, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cereal, 1/2 tablespoon yeast, scaled to desired batch size.
It's a basic sugarhead recipe, but very easy. All I did was scale up Rad's recipe to 5 gallons. Thanks Rad!
Offline abear  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 04, 2012 1:17:37 AM(UTC)
abear

"again, i am very new to this. Does ""pitch yeast"" mean to add to the mash? Can you explain ""cap and insert air lock""?

What kind of crushed all bran cereal do you use?

Sorry for all the questions."