logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline muadib2001  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 7:48:06 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Groups: Registered

"Thanks to Ratflinger for his recipe.

5 GALLON BATCH SIZE

• 2 gallons of water boiling
  • 10 pounds sugar
  • Squirt of a lemon (inverts the sugar)

Stir to dissolve & invert sugar, place in fermenter.

• Add 2 crushed multi-vitamins (nutrients for yeast)
  • Add 2 crushed Beano tablets (help with starch conversion)
  • Add 2 large boxes crushed Corn Flakes (corn flavor)
  • Add 2 tsp epsom salts (reduce fusels)
  • Add water to 5 gallons total (aim for final temperature of 80-82 degrees)

Aerate in O2 and mix up Corn Flakes, SG should be around 1.080, add more sugar to bring it up if too low.

Bloom 1 package EC-1118 yeast (with a quart or so of the wash chilled to 75-78 degrees) for an hour or so.

Chill fermenter contents to 75-78 degrees, if needed.

Pitch the bloomed yeast in the fermenter, cap with lid and airlock and stir daily.

2 days later (SG should have dropped to 1.020 if a good ferment has taken place):

• Add 8 pounds more sugar (Slowly! SG should come back up to 1.080)
  • Pitch 1 more package EC-1118 yeast

Strain & distill after no more CO2 is bubbling and SG has dropped to 0.980-0.990.

Now my questions:
[LIST=1]
  • Is the Beano not needed in this recipe since the corn flakes are already processed, or are there starches still left in them that Beano will act on?
  • I understand blooming the yeast for the initial pitch. Do I need to bloom the second pitch, or just toss it in?
  • If the resulting wash after straining is still too thick, can I add (distilled) water to the strained wash prior to distilling it?
    [/LIST]
    Thanks!
    Muadib"
  • Offline LWTCS  
    #2 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 10:03:02 AM(UTC)
    LWTCS

"Way too much sugar and I recon 4 cups of flakes iS plenty. Gonna be a bit a sugar on the cereal too. Multi vite aint gonna hurt as the corn Flakes will not have the same vitimen content as all bran.
    Stress yer yeast like that and yer batch gonna smell like baby puke a.d ain't gonna Finnish.
    8-10 pounds of sugar is all ya need. Aerate yer wash very well before ya pitch. And ya don't need to stir it,,,every day,,,,,at all,,,,,,,,ever.."
    Offline muadib2001  
    #3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 12:03:54 PM(UTC)
    muadib2001

Offline LWTCS  
    #4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 12:14:31 PM(UTC)
    LWTCS

"

???Confused"
    Offline muadib2001  
    #5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 12:57:49 PM(UTC)
    muadib2001

"
    Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
    Added 1 1/2 large generic boxes of corn flakes when I started my last sugar wash. Just crushed it up in the bottom of the fermenter & dumped the hot sugar solution on top.

1. Ferment smelled like bread dough - A much more pleasant smell than just the sugar wash.

2. Final run raw had a bit of corn taste & not such a sweet aftertaste.

3. Diluted to 40%, a hint of corn & not near the sweet taste. A carbon polish should make a fine neutral, but we don't drink this straight anyway.

4. I will be using corn flakes in all my sugar washes from now on. I'll experiment with various amount to see if 2 boxes or only a single box makes much difference.

Originally Posted by: docmj Go to Quoted Post
    Rat
    Thanks for the info,allnew ideas are helpful(cannot spell appreciated)
    Also I have been using 16 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons,is this too much?
    MJ

Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
    Not unless you are starting with that much. You need to add sugar until your SG is about 1.080. Much above that & the yeast will have a hard time living. I start with 10 lbs & then adjust up. After the SG works it's way back down to 1.020 I add sugar to bring the SG back to 1.080 & let that work off. It's the second sugar that gets the total % up close to 20%. If you stop after the initial run you'll be about 10 - 12%. I also pitch some more yeast when I add the 2nd sugar round. The downside to the corn flakes is it interferes with the hydrometer, you have to filter the solution to get the solids out. My start is probably about 12lbs sugar with another 8 added after a couple of days. I usually make 2 batches at a time so that after 2 stripping runs I have enough to reflux. I get the 50lbs of sugar at Costco & have about 10 lbs left over for household use.

Did I read this incorrectly? Ratflinger is adding sugar at two separate stages in order to achieve 20%. Or was he blowing smoke up my skirt? Wink"
    Offline LWTCS  
    #6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 2:47:02 PM(UTC)
    LWTCS

"Well my assertion is that staying below 14% makes better likker.

Now if yer gonna reflux it then why spend money on the cereal? Cereal is relatively expensive and it will impart a nice flavor adjunct well suited for pot stilling. Yeast nutes from the brew shop is cheap.
    If yer refluxing can go with a WPOSW or a Birdwatcher styled recipe. If your trying to push to 20% then yer using a turbo and don't much need the adjunct nutes any way.

The jury is still out on stepped sugar additions.....

Only my opinion."
    Offline muadib2001  
    #7 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 3:19:51 PM(UTC)
    muadib2001

"I will be pot stilling, and I thought Ratflinger was too (3. Diluted to 40%, a hint of corn & not near the sweet taste. A carbon polish should make a fine neutral, but we don't drink this straight anyway.). He was not looking for a neutral spirit, but one with a flavor, I thought.

Anyhow, anyone else care to answer my questions?"
    Offline heeler  
    #8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:39:57 AM(UTC)
    heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
    "Just a note....I always use Beanno in every likker wash, you might ask is it really needed, well it seems to work for me.

Yeast blooming...do you need to bloom it --well you dont HAVE to but try it and see if you like the results -- I usually do rehydrate my dry yeast.

If the wash is to thick to strain its prolly too thick to ferment properly. Think about this... will the thickness trap anything under the mat of gooiness on the bottom of the fermenter??

And yes you can and should add more water to --loosen-- it up a bit. This is not a beer and will need to move around --for lack of the proper terminology--a beer will get watered down of course but this is different and needs to be liquified."
    Offline muadib2001  
    #9 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:22:06 AM(UTC)
    muadib2001

"I put my wash together two nights ago. 5g water, 9lbs sugar, 4 cups corn flakes, aerated the wash, then nutrients, 2 yeast (EC-1118), two Beano's, bloomed the yeast, then pitched it in. Checked SG and adjusted for temp, 1.074. Closed the lid.

The house was sort of cool, so the temp has been going down in the fermenter. So last night, I put an electric blanket around it and set the temp for what I thought would be just barely warm.

The morning after putting the wash together, I looked in the fermenter and I did not see a foam cap. But I did hear what sounded like Rice Crispies. And this morning, I did the same and heard the same sound.

Do I still have a viable ferment going? Am I stuck?"
    Offline LWTCS  
    #10 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:09:47 AM(UTC)
    LWTCS

If you hear a sizworkingiS working.
    Offline LWTCS  
    #11 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:12:39 AM(UTC)
    LWTCS

"Dern autospell.
    sizzling, ,,,,sizzling, snapping,crackeling, popping is all good."
    Offline muadib2001  
    #12 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:47:37 AM(UTC)
    muadib2001

I got your meaning. BigGrin