logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline $Shine-On$  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:13:57 PM(UTC)
$Shine-On$

Groups: Registered

Anybody In the area of western north carolina Im looking for a mentour of sorts for a novice like myself i want to learn!
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:32:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Well....you are here now so just keep reading, and learning and studying.
Ask questions and keep reading."
Offline Lightning Jim  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 1:41:39 PM(UTC)
Lightning Jim

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Well....you are here now so just keep reading, and learning and studying.
Ask questions and keep reading.

Amen Brother."
Offline mr. x  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 2:09:09 PM(UTC)
mr. x

i just learned you can download kindle reader thing for your computer and amazon has some free books that you can download to it i looking for all the distilling ones right now just a thought on learning material
Offline Lightning Jim  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 2:47:13 PM(UTC)
Lightning Jim

I agree, and in addition to that you might want to look into getting the Alaskan bootleggers bible. I never had one but I hear theres A wealth of info in there.
Offline Wooly  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 3:09:40 PM(UTC)
Wooly

"
Originally Posted by: $Shine-On$ Go to Quoted Post
Anybody In the area of western north carolina Im looking for a mentour of sorts for a novice like myself i want to learn!

I am in east TN... If that helps..."
Offline Lightning Jim  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 3:12:59 PM(UTC)
Lightning Jim

WOOLY MY BROTHER! Welcome aboard.
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:04:12 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Dont waste your $$$$ on Alasken Bootleggers Bible. Very little about what we want in a stillin book.
Offline Lightning Jim  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:20:46 AM(UTC)
Lightning Jim

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting one for some ideas. Wont waste my money Ill pit it into more corn and yeast. :)
Offline mr. x  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:22:15 PM(UTC)
mr. x

so i just been researching for like 6 months now and ordered a tower 20 inch tall keg and a nice camp stove im just going to do basic sugar wash to dial my setup in but i want to be drinking quality obviously so i got the keg clean and such and have everything but the sugar i think i was wondering if it would be ok to ferment in the keg for now till i can afford a nice barrel to use i am doing this in a friends 3 walled woodshed with very little funding i planned on doing a 10g wash with a fish tank thermometer in it at about 85 degrees since i have a bunch of brand new ones from when i used to breed fish and was going to put a condom over the top with a few needle holes in it like so many youtube videos show or would i be better off maybe rubber banding some paper towels over to keep the bugs out and let it breathe? any very cheap suggestions would be greatly appreciated much love yall thanks
Offline Wooly  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:19:37 AM(UTC)
Wooly

"
Originally Posted by: mr. x Go to Quoted Post
so i just been researching for like 6 months now and ordered a tower 20 inch tall keg and a nice camp stove im just going to do basic sugar wash to dial my setup in but i want to be drinking quality obviously so i got the keg clean

Clean is best on everything from start to finish.

Quote:
i think i was wondering if it would be ok to ferment in the keg for now till i can afford a nice barrel to use

You could, but I would not do it that way. When you ferment stops working the yeast will settle on the bottom. If you heat the bottom with that yeast settled it could scorch and ruin your drink. Its a very foul taste and smell too. Try a 5 gallon (food grade) bucket, any place that makes cakes should have some used empties (wal-mart??).

Quote:
i am doing this in a friends 3 walled woodshed with very little funding i planned on doing a 10g wash with a fish tank thermometer in it at about 85 degrees since i have a bunch of brand new ones from when i used to breed fish

Check the max. temp on your yeast. I ferment 70-80 deg. F with turbo yeast. Too hot will KILL the ferment! Turbo yeast will also make some heat itself so keep an eye on that. Keeping a lower temp may take longer to finish but I think its worth it.

Quote:
and was going to put a condom over the top with a few needle holes in it like so many youtube videos show or would i be better off maybe rubber banding some paper towels over to keep the bugs out and let it breathe?

You want it to ""vent"" off the CO2 and not let air in. When I made my first fermenter I used 3/8 inch tube from the fermenter to a 2 Ltr soda bottle half filled with water. It made an ""airlock"" and worked well.

Quote:
any very cheap suggestions would be greatly appreciated much love yall thanks

It sounds like you have the most expensive part (the still) covered. Dont cut corners now or you will not have a good outcome. You dont have to buy airlocks and fermenters, just go for food grade containers. Get a good product, see how things work and then make the changes that helps you the most.

Good Luck Man!!!"
Offline mr. x  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:35:37 AM(UTC)
mr. x

would you think one od those 10 gal rubbermade drink coolers would be a good fermenter that was my plan to get later a brand new one but i find em for likr 5-10$ at goodwill all the time maybe just throw a sheet over the top and leave the lid loose then i have a spout to drain it from and use a funnel with a coffee filter in it to get the dead yeast out
Offline Wooly  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:45:24 PM(UTC)
Wooly

The drink cooler should work fine, its food grade and easy to get. *I would watch the ferment temp as its insulated and could get hot. If it was me useing a cooler, I would start at 65-70 deg F and let it work up itself. And if you dont seal the lid,, so the pressure can get out,, you should be ok. If you are going to use a turbo yeast its going to bubble alot the first week so leave some head room for foam too. I know the directions say like 5-10 days but leave it a full 2 weeks (14 days) if you can.
Offline mr. x  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:31:16 PM(UTC)
mr. x

"yea i have 2 things of still spirits classic turbo about how much room i am in the portland oregon area so its cold out i dont see it on its own getting above 50 degrees ive been looking for a yeast that works colder like that if i leave for like an extra week even on top of that would it be ok to be left a little cooler since im not around it but once or twice a weekor would it stink up his shop if i left it in the little upstairs area it has? as well whats best way to store the yeast they had it in the fridge at the homebrew store so that what im doing but would my freezer mayb be better as it would seem like the faster raise to the temp may kick it in the bum to start even though still going to the same temp? or does it even need to stay cold while its still sealed?
these are some of the questions that keep me up at night lol"
Offline Wooly  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:51:52 PM(UTC)
Wooly

"
Originally Posted by: mr. x Go to Quoted Post
yea i have 2 things of still spirits classic turbo about how much room

I have not used that yeast befor so I dont know. I have had an inch of foam on the top befor.. Just dont ""top it off"" and you should be OK I think.

Quote:
i am in the portland oregon area so its cold out i dont see it on its own getting above 50 degrees

Most yeast will go dormat 50F or below, not dead just asleep. Slowly warm to 70-80F and it will start again..

Quote:
ive been looking for a yeast that works colder like that if i leave for like an extra week even on top of that would it be ok to be left a little cooler since im not around it but once or twice a week or would it stink up his shop if i left it in the little upstairs area it has?

You need a controlled temp to ferment. You will not have much luck in a cold shed or building with no heat. Its going to smell like fresh bread dough, kinda yeasty with an alcohol smell.

Quote:
as well whats best way to store the yeast they had it in the fridge at the homebrew store so that what im doing but would my freezer mayb be better as it would seem like the faster raise to the temp may kick it in the bum to start even though still going to the same temp? or does it even need to stay cold while its still sealed?

If the store you got the yeast keeps in a fridge, you need to ask them. I get sealed packs, keep them in a dark cool place and use them as soon as I can.

Mabe someone else knows more about the yeast storage and can help you on that.."
Offline mr. x  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:55:55 PM(UTC)
mr. x

yea no real directions on the packs of yeast for storage so i figured id ask ill leave in the fridge + i need to go to the other brewing store from talking to them they seem allot smarter fuck the unhelpful dicks at the one i went to i bought the only 2 things of turbo yeast they had anyways