logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tripod  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 1:12:32 AM(UTC)
tripod

Groups: Registered

"Hi
I did the wheat recipe and used gelatinized rye instead. I ended up with very little output! Heated water to 165 and added rye, removed from heat and stirred 5 minutes like recipe said, once down to 152 added wheat malt. stirred and once down to 85 added presige vodka yeast with ag. Fermented 82 hours. Strained (what a mess) and added super clear. Waited a day.......not real clear but recipe said to distill within 24 hours so thats what it did. Started with a 6 gallon mash and ended up with very little. What did I do wrong??????
please help.........grains weren't cheap and don't want to do again unless i can fix problem......
Sad"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:06:26 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
go to www.homedistillers.org and look up DWWG -- death wish wheat germ recipe and that will take care of your wants and needs. it looks like you omitted a few things in your recipe but try this one its a good clean likker but watch out for the ferment, it can get crazy. And plan on leaving to ferment for 10 or 12 days. That will take care of ferment and clearing.
Offline tripod  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:41:22 PM(UTC)
tripod

"Thanks Heeler,
I appreciate your input and will try this recipe."
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:30:12 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You got it pard.......dont fiddle with the recipes until you can understand what each component in the recipe is for. Those guys have tweaked and figgered out the - just right -- amounts of this and that and well you get the picture. After you make each of them a time or two you'll see what I trying to say (not very gracefully I might add). I think the Gerber Neutral is great and its the easiest one going. Again if adding a flavor is what your after --this is the one. Try an extract and the fruit and you WILL find one you like but I would use the Gerber as your baseline neutral for adding flavors. Good luck and happy stillin.BigGrin
Offline newshiner  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:51:18 AM(UTC)
newshiner

"it looks like he is trying a all grain
not a sugar wash with wheat for flavor
Is that what you were going for?"