logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:18:08 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Just passing on some general knowledge for the newbie or whomever may use this info. There are places to find definitions of these terms but I cant remember where and since we are here well here ya go, but first,[COLOR=""#FF0000""] REMEMBER...a still is just a device to seperate the etoh from the water in the boiler and some work better than others, the length of the tower or plates in the tower or just a bend in the tower, these all function differently.[/COLOR]
Foreshots-Heads-Hearts and Tails..thats how it comes out no matter what still or tower you use, the quantities of each may differ from mash to mash and form still to still but thats how its delivered. Remember these compounds are delivered as the heat of the wash goes up, different alcohols are vaporized at different temps.
Foreshots.....the first drippins that come over once you start cooking. The amount will differ from still to still and mash to mash. If useing a 5 gallon mash, 100-250 MLS. is pretty usual. Collect and toss out. You will know this by the smell and taste. Sometimes sweet-but dont be fooled, toss it out. Foreshots actually consists of Acetone, Methanols and Ethyl Acetates, do you really wanna drink that?
Heads.....as you continue to run your still this is coming next and this too is something you dont want to drink. Again your nose and taste buds will alert you to these compounds. Toss it out.
Hearts..... This is what we are all after. Now, you will not know exactly how much this is gonna be until you've made plenty of runs and have the knowledge of your mash and still. As you make your run and collect your drippings[COLOR=""#FF0000""],(control your heat so it's dripping out not streaming out, low heat drips high heat stream)[/COLOR] you should be collecting in small jars so you can make sure you get the best of the hearts. Try collecting in 1/2 pint mason jars, this works for me and may for you too. Then tomorrow once your still is cleaned and put away for the next time, go back to the jars and give them a good sniff, you'll be able to pick out EXACTLY which ones smell harsh or bitter. The best of the hearts will smell fresh and clean not bitter or harsh. BigGrin"

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:35:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:37:47 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Were almost done just keep reading....
With my setup I find that a full pint jar takes care of my collection of foreshots and most of the heads. Thats right your throwing away a full pint jar of what you just worked so hard to get. (somewhere there's a newbie saying no way I'm not throwing that out, (JUST DO IT!!!) Then as you collect those jars and line them up on your table, dont mix em up yet, wait till you can sniff em, thats how your gonna [COLOR=""#FF0000""][/COLOR][COLOR=""#FF0000""]MAKE YOUR CUTS[/COLOR], by sniffin, you'll see!!!! (Theres another term you just learned.) And you'll find that you may throw some of them out also. Most of us do. There's lots of yuckies in there that you just dont want to drink, so learn to make proper cuts and get rid of the nasties.
Tails..... this is the end of the run for most of us. You know where you stop collecting. Again this is determined with your nose and experience. Some collect down into the tails (or should I say up into the tails -its temp related -high temp and low proof is tails[COLOR=""#FF0000""][/COLOR][COLOR=""#FF0000""])(if you take hydrometer readings throughout the run you'll see [/COLOR][COLOR=""#FF0000""][/COLOR][COLOR=""#FF0000""]the proof go down)[/COLOR] (and add that to the next run)...and you may too as you learn. This compound will smell like wet dog or damp carboard,( to me it smells like soured citrus) (I know right, go figger). Tomorrow when you go to sniffin those jars, start in the middle and work your way out, left and right, the middle will be the best and the rest can be tossed or added to the next run of the still. For a 5 gallon mash 2 quarts of hearts is the best you can keep (for me)
Your nose and knowledge will get you there with practice and patience.
Good luck and happy stillin.BigGrin"

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:41:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:49:35 AM(UTC)
heeler

Those two posts describe a standard pot still run, you can also do a stripping run (really pour the heat to it) where you collect everything that comes over,combine all your liquid, do that for a couple of mashes, mix them all together in the boiler and then do your slow and steady run and they say that is really good too. Neither is wrong or better so try them both and see which is best for you. Again you will still have forshots - heads - hearts - and tails but by then you will know how to decserne where to make your cuts and keep only the good stuff.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:07:46 AM(UTC)
heeler

"With all of that said you can now understand that heat is what makes likker happen. All alcohols vaporize at certain temps, thats why we cook our mash.

[COLOR=""#FF0000""]If you poured a case of beer in your boiler and distilled it what you would collect in your jugs is the etoh out of the beer and the water [COLOR=""#FF0000""][/COLOR][COLOR=""#FF0000""]would be[/COLOR] left behind.[/COLOR]

If we look at these temps we see whats MOSTLY coming off at these temp ranges..all of the following compounds are in the wash. The only way to seperate them is to heat the wash to above the exact temp of each because of the water thats involved.
Acetone 56C 134F
Methanol 64C 147F
Ethyl Acetate 77.1C 172F

Ethanol (hooch) 78C 177F

Propanol 82C 180F
Water 100C 212F
As you remove the good stuff from the boiler the temp will continue to rise and that has to happen to continue to collect cause the ratio of hooch to water will change.
Now if you hold your temp at 78C/177F and that works for you then great but to continue to collect the temp will continue to rise. Sure hope all this helps -- happy stillin."
Offline Novice18  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2011 2:06:10 AM(UTC)
Novice18

Groups: Registered

"In learning to make your cuts on a 5 gallon batch is it better to do this with 8 ounce or 4 ounce samples. I've been playing with my EasyStill for 6 months I'm ready to use my PSII with a corn based mash's (have 3 sample 5 gallon mashes to try out). I have a spare 5 gallon container that I'm going to take the heads and tails and combine them all into to use again later from all three batches (why waste I say).

Any advice?"
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:13:54 AM(UTC)
heeler

"You can go with either, I use half pint jars and fill them about 1/2--3/4 the way full. Depends on when I catch em.
You prolly wont need something as big as a five gallon bucket for what you want to keep but if it works for you thats all that matters.
I bet your gonna like that PS11 a whole lot better than an easy still, 15 gallons through a easystill would take an eternity I would bet."
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:54:46 AM(UTC)
heeler

Just another note on the - off gas - and evaporation thing. Its true hooch will indeed evaporate if left uncovered for an exteneded period of time, like in your garage where its 110F every day . The overnight thing is to off gas some of what we dont want to keep. Just use a piece of paper towel to keep the bugs out, that will let it offgas and keep it clean. In the morn I just remove the paper and BEFORE I sniff I just gave a puff of air to remove any lingering smells in the jar. You can really pick out the yuckies if there are there.
Offline TX.mud  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2020 8:26:06 PM(UTC)
TX.mud

Groups: Registered

"like in your garage where its 110F every day . The overnight thing is to off gas some of what we dont want to keep. Just use a piece of paper towel to keep the bugs out, that will let it offgas and keep it clean. In the morn I just remove the paper and BEFORE I sniff I just gave a puff of air to remove any lingering smells in the jar. You can really pick out the yuckies if there are there."

Heeler,

is it possible to use a controlled evaporative process to possibly negate some of the stuff that we don't want while being able to collect the things that we do want?

By this I mean that if I can provide significant surface area, and a controlled temperature (or series of temperatures), can I guide the evaporation process to get what we want? Not looking for fast, just a possible off-grid process that doesn't take much energy or resources input. I am not looking to distill per se, but using instead an evaporative process to draw off the alcohol.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you might have.

Edited by user Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:05:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification of the initial question

Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:49:11 PM(UTC)
heeler

I'm sure you can but you are making this process waaaaaayyyyy more difficult than it needs to be. But if that idea works for you then go for it brother!!!!!