logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greybeard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:28:19 PM(UTC)
Greybeard

Groups: Registered

I have read a few posts about re-using yeast. Is that the sediment at the bottom?
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 7:27:05 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"That is in the goop at the bottom of the fermenter. Can you re-use it???? The answer is yes, if its the right wash and you know how to recover it. From some of your posts it seems that your new to stillin and fermenting, so really -- at this time in the learning process its just easier and cheaper to use a new pack or another spoonfull of distillers yeast in your next wash. Its not that difficult to recover the yeast from a simple sugar wash but I'm not so sure a Turbo yeast would be as vibrant as it was the first time it was used. And then theres the issue of number of yeast cells for the complete ferment and the list continues. I would just have fun with stillin and use new yeast each time soas not to get frustrated if the old yeast is NOT viable and it leaves you hangin......know what i mean???
This is just my opinion - harvest if you must but make it fun."
Offline Greybeard  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 9:58:25 AM(UTC)
Greybeard

Groups: Registered

yes i am definitely new to the hobby. so you can definitely look forward to many simple and dumb questions. I have done tons and tons of research and reading online and these forums are absolutely great. I just wish people would sometimes use more layman's terms but i am learning as i go. I am committed to making the worlds greatest rum. and i don't give up easily. thank you for your help i will prolixly take your advise for now. thank you