logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline brew  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 10:54:20 AM(UTC)
brew

Groups: Registered

Outside vodka recipes, there needs to be an essence thread sticky topic since lots of vodka and tons of cheap store vodka even, gets the carbon and essence treatment.

Please include Brand name, and only rate ones you have actualy tried yourself. Try to follow this format:

PRESTIGE BRAND:

Anejo Tequila(black label)-*****
This one was a hit with every tester. It was poured from patron bottle in another test, and two different patron drinkers failed to detect any difference. All testers commented on smoothness at 80 proof.

Absinthe Combo set-*****
What can you say. As close as your going to get to the real thing while inside the US or in any essence configuration.

Melon Vodka-****
This one was quite good tasting. The only drawback is the lack of drink recipies. Most refer to Melon Liquer, however we did come up with a palatable cocktail using cranberry, margarita mix, sugar, lemon juice, and a sinker of grenadine. Now I know that sounds 'not right' but it was actualy to my liking. Look for drinks that use both vodka and Melon liquor and your set.

Reg white tequila-**
A. Um uh,well.... If you drink white tequila, you will hate this. If you make margaritas the ladies will hate you. If you were in college and didn't know any better, it might fly till sophmore year. Two stars if you need a placeholder on your bar, or perhaps you are mixing cocktails where other flavors will smother..I mean cover it up.
B. Forum member KAB relates- To me one star at best.

Scotch Whiskey-*****
Test based on UK residents. Blind tasting from unmarked decanter. Both testers remarked on smoothness and flavor. One related the flavor is normaly heavier with more burn. Decanter was 1/2 full at start and empty on finish, so with none left behind, it is a five star hit. Even though the profile and notes may be slightly off, from a commercial scotch it was well enjoyed, and that earned the rating, perhaps out of turn, but a solid four if not five stars.

STILL SPIRITS BRAND:

Tequila (top shelf)-*****
Well kiddies, this is the white tequila essence you were looking for and the perfect compliment to the Prestige Anejo. This is their only tequila offering and is a Plata clone. I'm giving it 5 stars but if that is a little heavy it still get a solid 4.5 stars. The 50ml bottle flavors 3 of the 750ml bottles. I picked monarch so there would be lots of the perfect mix of heads and tails and burn. Two testers. Both tossed it back and grabbed for the cervesa. Both were pleased enough to go through several shots. Tested myself and found the aroma a little less than a good mexican tequila but the flavor came right through. Now the down side. It is a little cheaper but a massive pain in the arse to figure out a third of 50ml in a curvy tiny bottle without proper measuring equipment.

Please also comment on any others you have tried. I will include individual product ratings from the thread, under each listing to get a well rounded opinion, as above for white tequila.
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 11:57:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Her ya go- another topic to cover this. We cannot make threads for all of the different essences, so hopefully this topic can stay relatively organized.:)
Offline kab  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:50:10 AM(UTC)
kab

Have to agree with you on the white Tequila. To me one star at best. I prefer a gold Tequila anyway. Waiting on the Black Lable Anejo. Hope it is as good as you say. Any brand it compares to???
Offline brew  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:45:32 PM(UTC)
brew

That second test was good enough for me to plan on getting a small box of just that one essence from Rick every now and again. If my Patron drinking friends will suck it down and smile, that's good enough for me. I was going to do still spirits and the other gold and rate those, but at almost twice the cost, it will be a while.

Its many cuts above Cuervo. Just don't use a sloppy cut spirit or cheap bottom shelf vodka. If you make your own spirit cut all the heads and only allow a very tiny bit of first run tails before the bitter.

If you bought the grey kangaroo and just worked bottom shelf and the Anejo you could have killer spirit and skip the waiting around on a still to finish.

I stand corrected. I should have gone one star on the white. Will edit later. I will work on a way to incorporate the comments as the start showing up.
Offline brew  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2007 6:09:06 AM(UTC)
brew

White tequila update-still spirits coming soon.
Offline brew  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 5:34:50 AM(UTC)
brew

"STILL SPIRITS BRAND:

Scotch Whiskey(top shelf)-*****
Giving this one five stars because it was well recieved and I liked it as well. Although different from Prestige, I think both make a nice drink neat or on the rocks so both in a taste off with shelf scotch would be a nice event. As usual choose your base wisely to get the right head/tail ratio. Same mixing headache with no measures.

Kentucky Bourbon (top shelf)-*****
Giving this one five stars because it was well recieved and I liked it as well. Now I know this is touchy ground with the way folks feel on thier bourbon so give me a break. These types of essence are mimics and not replacements. They can only really be rated on how good the essence makes a pleasant drink. Bourbon snobs might give it a three or two i don't know. I would compare this to a very close Makers Mark clone. With a true neutral vodka it may be too smooth.

On Deck Next: Top Shelf regular Bourbon(Jack Dan clone), Prestige Mango vodka, and Prestige Passion Fruit vodka.

(Running the vodkas on grey goose, and jack on bottom shelf belly burner.)"
Offline brewhaha  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:04:03 AM(UTC)
brewhaha

"Brew, about the standard Prestige brand Tequila, I couldn't agree with you more. It has a funny floural smell and taste, I have not tryed the Black Lable
yet. The standard Scotch essence, I thought it tasted ok, but is a little to smooth and need a little more bite. But what can you expect from something you made Sunday and are drinking Monday :)

I also tryed the Dutch Genever, a Dutch friend of mine said, it is very close to the real thing.

The Hunter Snapps (Jaggermeister) is awsome! My wife loves it.
I can't tell the diff from it and the real thing.

Tryed the Stillsprits Cinnamon Schnaps, it is similar to ""FireBall"", a Canadian
cinnamon flavored whiskey. It is red in color where as the Fireball is whiskey
color, and its a little earthy flavored compared to the Fireball. All and all it is pretty good though."
Offline brew  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:02:58 PM(UTC)
brew

"Thanks for the new inputs!

Regular Bourbon(Jack Dan clone)(top shelf)-***
Giving this one three stars because it was average. I liked it as a Jack substitute, but I don't like Jack Dan, so comparing it to the Makers Mark clone is not even in the same ball park.
Probably a dead heat with the similar Prestige offering.

I flat liked the MM clone and so did everyone that tasted it including some folks that only drink Makers and was even liked well by two people that never drink Bourbon.

Mango and Passion Fruit hit the back burner again.

Dutch Genever, sounds very interesting....

The Prestige white or Plata is being reformulated so it will change soon. Still Spirits white came in a new label so it just got pushed to the front along with the SP scotch which is in demand. Went through a half dozen of the Prestige Anejo tequilas again but We are not burning $55 a bottle on Patron for our friends so thats fine with them too since they don't ever get hung, so its a no lose there.

The standard Prestige scotch is smooth enough to have with desert or after dinner in place of Port or sherry. I like it a bit better than SP but friends prefer the SP, so may be I like it too sweet and smooth.

The new batch at the local is getting picked over pretty quick. Most of the good ones are gone already. I took the last of the Plata tequila"
Offline billybob  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:59:54 AM(UTC)
billybob

"Being a spiced rum drinker -

prestige spiced rum - ***+
I made a mix of 190% vodka from still, brown sugar, molases, spices, Lime peel and orange peel and mixed it in at about 75ML, and it jumped to ****+ and is my personal stock spiced rum for the house now. Average proof of this seems to be best at about 85. I get more requests (can I have a bottle) on this than any other mix.

prestige Canadial Whisky - ****
Friends seem to love this one when I leave it at about 95 proof.

prestige dark rum - ****
ass-is. Leaving it at 80 proof

prestige bombay Gin - ****
must be at 97+ proof so it doesn't freeze :) I leave it at a nice even 100 proof. My brother the Gin snob loves it!

billybob"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:05:26 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Thanks Billy, How about a detailed recipe for the spiced rum?

My son and his wife like the coconut rum best.

My favorite is the Ambrosia Whiskey sachet, stored on some med. toasted oak for several weeks.

A point I do want to make that is true for all the essences. When you dilute, and mix them, allow them to sit if possible for 2 weeks to allow the water, ethanol and essence to marry.

As an example, I have tried this and found it true for me. If you dilute say neutral spirits to 80 proof and put in freezer, it will partly freeze. Several weeks later it won't. The taste change is significant also.

Same should be true for your gin.

Cheers,

John"
Offline billybob  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:05:35 AM(UTC)
billybob

you bet mtnwalker2 and good points! :)

Water and ethanol marry over night before I touch them. And the essence must be allowed to marry or it just does not taste right.

In my opinion to make the prestige spiced rum a 4 or 5 star....

In a mason jar I mix:
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar (light)
sliver of medium orange peel (bout big as my thumb)
sliver of lime skin (again about as big as my thumb)
small pinch of nutmeg
very small pinch of cinnamon
2 cloves (1 if they are large)
2 tablespoons of molasses

add those to 2 cups (400ML) of raw undiluted spirits. Shake it up and let it sit for a good 24 - to 48 hours.

next:
Mix the prestige spiced rum as directed. 1 bottle/750ML at whatever proof you like. My house bottles are 1L and cork stopper. I mix in that 1L bottle and let it sit for 24 - 48 hours.

At this point both have been allowed to marry for 2 to 4 days individually.

After both have had time to marry, I add 50ML - 75ML of the spice/spirit to my prestige mix. Shake well and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour and taste. Add more spiced spirit if you want. Repeat adding the spiced spirit little by little letting it sit for 30 minutes each time uncorked, to taste.

Once you find your taste, you will be able to mix it up in a hurry from that point on.

notables:
You don't have to mix with raw undiluted spirits - you are after spices and not alcohol. So if you forget and dilute the raw spirit, use it that way. No harm done.

After the spiced spirit has married for 4 days (or so) remove the peels and cloves so the orange flavor does not get overwhelming.

Add/Remove/Dilute to taste with brown sugar and molasses when making the spiced spirit. Some people like a higher molasses flavor.

I make this 4 cups at a time and put it away - about doubling the above recipe and backing off on the brown sugar a tad bit.

Do not use a use a food grater on the orange and lime peel to make "zest" as it will be overwhelming with orange flavor. Simply add the peels.

I am a very impatient guy. By day 5 of sitting and marrying, I want to be drinking Tongue

There you have it - Prestige Spice Rum +Plus+ BigGrin

billybob
Offline Ragnar  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2008 4:00:22 PM(UTC)
Ragnar

I took some on a canoe trip last year and I even got non-Jager fans to drink it. I brought out 1 pint around campfire- everyone was drinking beer it made the cicle of 12 men then I broke bottle # 2,3,4,and 5 at first they liked it so much they didn't want to take away from someone else and then the party started. You can't beat canoeing and camping with a bacholerette party next door we even had some loose women drinking it- well they weren't loose before I meet them!:)
Offline tomslaptop  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:43:19 AM(UTC)
tomslaptop

I didn't have any luck with the essence that i purchased, it was pretty much undrinkable. Haven't tried the black label tequila but might give it a try if others comment on it being good. I just wanted to mention I had good results with Monin ...just do a search and you can purchase online easily it's imported from France and they have 100's of flavors, I tried the caribbean rum and the organic rasberry and both were good and you get 25 ounces for like $6.00...just to throw it out there also found a good book on shine thats fairly new, it's called: Moonshine by: Matthew B. Rowley and he includes this site in his book several times, its well made book with nice pic and loads of info if you're into this subject...
Offline Dean  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:22:28 PM(UTC)
Dean

"Billy Bob! Love it! Ok, so I'm starting essence free, so did a mix of molasses, white sugar and Dark Brown sugar for my wash, no essence, soaked in medium toasted wood chips, added your spice mix... the wife is going nuts over it! still experimenting though!

Originally Posted by: billybob Go to Quoted Post
you bet mtnwalker2 and good points! :)

Water and ethanol marry over night before I touch them. And the essence must be allowed to marry or it just does not taste right.

In my opinion to make the prestige spiced rum a 4 or 5 star....

In a mason jar I mix:
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar (light)
sliver of medium orange peel (bout big as my thumb)
sliver of lime skin (again about as big as my thumb)
small pinch of nutmeg
very small pinch of cinnamon
2 cloves (1 if they are large)
2 tablespoons of molasses

add those to 2 cups (400ML) of raw undiluted spirits. Shake it up and let it sit for a good 24 - to 48 hours.

next:
Mix the prestige spiced rum as directed. 1 bottle/750ML at whatever proof you like. My house bottles are 1L and cork stopper. I mix in that 1L bottle and let it sit for 24 - 48 hours.

billybob
"
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:03:51 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Dean, I think you missed billybob by about three years. Oh well -- no harm no foul.
Offline Dean  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:47:06 PM(UTC)
Dean

Gotta get him back on here then! I love his recipe and wanna see what else he's done since then! I've decided I'm not fond of the wood chips, but then again, I'm not a rum drinker. She made a cinnamon spice mix loosely based on his that has a good flavor (Don't think I've ever heard of a cinnamon rum though) Will post that on here eventually as she tunes it.
Offline Dean  
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:29:16 AM(UTC)
Dean

Actually, "billybob" works next desk over from me and doesn't even have this recipe written down... he hops on here every time he does another run.... lol I'm still trying to get him on here.