logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline clarkee  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:00:17 AM(UTC)
clarkee

Groups: Registered

"I recently made a couple of batches of rum using the Billingtons molasses sugar and granulated sugar. The first batch went like clockwork and I was pleased with the resulting spirit, which had a nice nose and was nice and clear without any turbidity. With the remaining dunder I put this in a large drum outside and left it at ambiant temperature. Its in the shade but in Bulgaria, where I now live, we are in the heat of summer with temperatures in the low 30's (low 90's F) and so it rapidly became infected and formed a thick skin on the top. It smells OK though but looks like a science project.
The next batch I made was identical to the first and when distilling day came around, I also added about 10% by volume of the dunder. I pushed aside the thick floating crust and took the dirty looking fluid under that and added it to the wash in the still immediately before I lit the gas to distill it. I was VERY pleased with the result of using the dunder as the distlate is clear but the nose is magnificent being almost fruity in nature and the taste, although quite raw as expected, is also a big improvement on the first batch. I highly recommend the use of an aged dunder pit to anyone willing to (and brave enough) to try one. Admitedly the dunder does look terrible being highly contaminated and infected. But obviously there are no volatile toxins produced that are harmful as I am alive and kicking to write this.
I have a home made copper pot still that has a capacity of about 60 litres (16 gal) and I not only moniter the distilate specific gravity and ABV but I have an inline thermometer at the commencement of the lyne arm so I can accurately predict what is actually condensing at the time. I find this invaluable in predicting how much of the heads to throw out. I also make a lot of brandys from fruit trees that grow wild around the area such as plum and apple, and I have never seen anything that condenses at 68 deg C which is BP of methanol, although I throw out the first 50mls of the distilate anyway to be safe. The condesation only appears to be ethanol as it commences at about 78 C as expected.
Anyway I thought I would pass this information on to you guys as I am very pleased with the results.

Nazdrave (Good health in Bulgarian)

Greg"
Offline LWTCS  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:24:55 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

kinda like this, this and thisBigGrin
LWTCS attached the following image(s):
Mold cap 1.JPG (26kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Mold%20structural%20integrity.JPG (17kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Mold%20thickness.JPG (20kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline clarkee  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:59:34 AM(UTC)
clarkee

Yep...thats the stuff. Disguised mothers milk eh!
Offline ironman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:47:35 AM(UTC)
ironman

Guys, please in detail - how to make this beautiful dunder?
Offline clarkee  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:30:13 AM(UTC)
clarkee

"Ironman
The dunder is simply the remaining wash in the still after the distilation is complete. This is placed in a drum (the dunder pit) and left to rot. The bacteria (Chlostridium etc) do their job which further releases oil, esters etc into the dunder which when added to the next wash, greatly enhances the flavour and nose. This is done commercially. Some VERY brave people actually add this dunder to the wash during fermentation and so far I havent heard any horror stories but I kinda shudder adding this obviously highly contaminated mix to my wonderful wash but I am certainly going to continue to add this in the manner I described in the first post, which was to the wash immediately before I distilled it. Hell if its not broke don't fix it.
The dunder really does look disgusting but hell.....it works....

Nazdrave"
Offline LWTCS  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:19:29 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"[COLOR=""Blue""]Some VERY brave people actually add this dunder to the wash during fermentation [/COLOR]

I typically use 25% aged dunder in nearly all of my ferments. Spent rum beer is fairly acidic so 25% is a good safe amount without worrying to much about PH adjustments.

I attribute the success of this batch to the summer heat. I have an insulated keg that has not done nearly as well as the uninsulated bucket."
Offline ironman  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:16:49 PM(UTC)
ironman

clarkee, LWTSC - thanks and another question: hermetically close the cap on the drum (the dunder pit) or not?
Offline LWTCS  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:54:24 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

Let the spent beer cool in your boiler over night as the hot liquid will not support oxygen retention.

The next day pour from a two or three foot height to incorporate oxygen and pop an air tight lid on your bucket. I do not recommend leaving the lid loose as bugs and such will find their way in to your vessel.....I live in the tropics and we have more bugs than you can shake a stick at. Think bug poo poo......It can't be a good thing.

Use your nose to tell you if your dunder is progressing favorably. Dunder should smell sweet,,,maybe sweet spice. Smell can change as time passes but if at any point your dunder smells like the land fill or a compost heep,then i would be suspect about using it....

I believe the structure formed in my posted pics may prefer a low level amount of abv This abv (i think) is allowing a preferable mold to bloom and is staving off the more undesirable varieties of mold.

This is where I am at now and only have anecdotal experiences.I do not have any credentials and certainly do feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants with this mold business.
I have been using aged dunder for a year or so and have also been aging finished washes prior to distillation. All in an effort twist, squeeze,push my rum ingredients into submissionTongue

I also use dunder (unaged) in my thumper along with other ingredients to flavor my rum..
Offline LWTCS  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:22:49 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"This structure is starting off very different. The previous batch started blooming all over the surface as this batch seems to be hugging the walls of the bucket. Dunder has little to no alcohol.

Smell is rather nutty and does not smell as nice as the previous batch.

I'm gonna let it ride and see what happens."
LWTCS attached the following image(s):
test%20mold.jpg (83kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
test%20mold%20II.jpg (80kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline ironman  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:33:39 PM(UTC)
ironman

LWTCS thank you very much! Soon I will start experimenting!
Offline clarkee  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:42:20 AM(UTC)
clarkee

"Iron man
The plastic drum (dunder pit) has a very loose fitting lid and to avoid the bugs and things I put some plastic wrap over the opening before I put the lid back on. But the drum is outside in the heat but in the shade and perfect growing conditions for the bacteria.

Nazdrave"
Offline ironman  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:58:09 PM(UTC)
ironman

clarkee, thanks!
Tebe toje Nazdrave!

or in Russian:
clarkee, spasibo!
Tebe toje Nazdorovie!