logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BlueSpiritDave  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:27:10 PM(UTC)
BlueSpiritDave

Groups: Registered

"Ok Ya'll here's a ""Just for fun"" from Blue Spirit Dave. In less than a week (Saturday), thanks in much part to you all and Brehaus, my son and I are hosting a big Louisana Fish Bole (boil), called the great ""Howl at the Moonshine"" party including shrimp, crab, crawdads, scallops, onions, red taters, tater salad and mac salad, corn pudding and green bean caserole, creole, Cajun, and voodoo settings. Corn Whiskey, three types of Vodka, Absinthe, Scotch, Irish and Canadian Whiskey, Wheat Vodka, and cherry bombs! We are expecting more than 30 crazy teachers and firemen. I have let the local Sheriff know to just avoid the area and find something else to do that night! And we have set up several cots for folks to stay the night.

Who says that just becauee we live in Southern California we can't consider ourselves from the South!?

If I survivie the night I will post pictures from the party. Thanks to everyone out there who helped with advice and guidance on my new hobby. I have several folks coming who will be brutally honest about my grain goodies. I must say that I am most proud of my Corn Whisky. I am sure it will be a hit with those who know good spirits.

More to follow!........"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:02:55 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Sounds like a fantastic event. Best of wishes for everyones survival.

Look forward to hearing how it goes."
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:26:37 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

best wishes from florida and dont forget pictures so we can enjoy the fun with you BigGrin
Offline tikisteve  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 12:11:59 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I'm originally from Texas but live in SoCal. It's hard to find good BBQ and Cajun cooking out here. I always over do it when I go back to Texas.
Look forward to the photos."
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 12:45:56 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: tikisteve Go to Quoted Post
I'm originally from Texas but live in SoCal. It's hard to find good BBQ and Cajun cooking out here. I always over do it when I go back to Texas.
Look forward to the photos.

When i lived in So. cal. I never got used to mexican food. I actually never ate mexican till I lived in San Bernadino. I thought taco bell was mexican food.. I traveled into Arizona and got christened with great Mex food in later years. The motorcycle riding was great in california however.

I always wanted to try cajin cooking-- there is a new place around here called leon leons-- i guess thats next on the list.. I love cajun music ."
Offline BlueSpiritDave  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 4:46:15 PM(UTC)
BlueSpiritDave

"My son is general manager for a big resort/restaurant. One of his chefs is from Louisiana and has been sending some awesome recipes to me in preparation for the party. Spicey spices seem to be the main ingredients for everything Cajun.:)

I'll post some pictures soon. This should really be a hoot! More to follow."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 9:00:13 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Better put some more cots out. People not used to cajun are going to be washing it down or trying to cool it off with that great assortment of drinks you have.
Offline LWTCS  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:20:24 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Mmmmm, great comfort food.

Sounds like a big ole time.
Strictly stilled and good cuts will keep your party mates happy and very impressed.

Better safe than sorry,,,keep it below 50%

Wish I were there."
Offline tikisteve  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:45:49 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

Maybe share a few of those Cajun recipes too:-)
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 11:13:23 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: tikisteve Go to Quoted Post
Maybe share a few of those Cajun recipes too:-)

yes, please. Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing how it went."
Offline mountainsparky  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:11:30 PM(UTC)
mountainsparky

"I just catered a private bash and left the spirits to them. I served low country boil, mesquite smoked brisket, clams in a white cream sauce over linguine, garlic, my 5 bean-baked beans hickory smoked, garlic Texas toast grilled and it disappeared over the evening. Must say the brisket was great. Melt in your mouth tender with the correct blend of smokey chipotle and sweetened bbq dry rubs.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage"
Offline BlueSpiritDave  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:15:26 PM(UTC)
BlueSpiritDave

Holy smokes Sparky! That is awesome! Not sure my fish can ever compare to that red meat. That looks like I could just pull it off the computer and eat it right now! Thanks for the pics.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:28:53 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: BlueSpiritDave Go to Quoted Post
Holy smokes Sparky! That is awesome! Not sure my fish can ever compare to that red meat. That looks like I could just pull it off the computer and eat it right now! Thanks for the pics.

I so agree. Think I could eat 3# at one sitting from the looks. Going to share the recipe, or family secrete? Thats one beautiful looking piece of meat. Inside and out."
Offline mountainsparky  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 01, 2010 10:47:52 AM(UTC)
mountainsparky

"I really should make y'all sign a ""no compete"" contract and a ""no disclosure"" statement before I relate this to you but, since I am a needy person from time to time on this site I shall help you all to a better Brisket and do not follow the conventional wisdom. I cooked this one of two and at the party my sauce was offered and there were no takers as the meat was that good by its self and I am not just tootin my own horn.

Take the brisket, and coat with a chipotle rub that you can find at any grocery store. Then use a rub that contains some amount of sugar/brown sugar and coat over the chipotle ( Mrs. Dash makes a great Southwest). Pat the spices into the meats surface before turning to do the exact same on the other side.

Buy a bag of BIG mesquite wood chunks, Wally world carries it. Soak the wood for 24 hours before use, add water after 12 hours.

Start CHARCOAL fire using about 15-20 briquettes. When gray, spread out, place wood chunk on coals and place brisket FAT SIDE UP above the coals. Close grill / smoker and regulate heat to optimize smoke and to keep heat at 190-220 degrees. Most meats reach their maximum smoke retention by 1 1/2 hours including pork over hickory. Two hours worth will however torture your neighbors.

Make sure that the beef briscket is at room temp by the way. It allows the ""pores"" of the meat to open up which absorbs the spice and will allow for maximum smoke retention.

Smoke for 1 and a half hours, adding fresh charcoal, about four or five briquettes, at regular intervals to maintain steady heat. Turn after the first hour but watch the fat dripping and starting a fire. Fat helps the meat retain moisture. Turn the meat after that for about 15 minutes per flip and lay the smoke to it, maintain heat.

Brisket looks like the whole one above or slightly ""blacker"" then comes the secret..................................can't believe I'm doing this.

Get a 4 or 5 foot long piece of Reynolds Heavy Duty foil and wrap the brisket starting at one end of the foil and rolling it and sealing the sides as you go until you have two or three layers of foil on both sides. Place back on grill, add charcoal and open air vents to get temps up to 220-250 degrees and flip the meat in the foil every 30 minutes for about 3 hours.

Remove the brisket from the grill and allow the meat to stand or rest, wrapped for at least an hour before opening. As the meat cools slowly it will absorb some of the juices from inside the foil back into the meat.

I carve it with fat on still and serve it that way too. This is for you guys to amaze your friends or familyCool I have the equipment to do 6 briskets at a time which allows me the luxury of freezing some with a Food Saver machine.

Good luck and if you do this, please let me know how it turned out for you. If I ever get back in the BBQ business again and you guys tell someone you know my secrets I promise that I will haunt your childrens homes BigGrinRollEyes"
Offline mountainsparky  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:34:53 PM(UTC)
mountainsparky

Anyone tried this yet? Merry Christmas. Going up to the Kentucky mountains for Christmas to see the family. Hope this season finds you all well and percolating:).
Offline Tinman  
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2011 12:28:09 PM(UTC)
Tinman

Boy I wish i was there!! I Love so cal.BigGrin
Offline mountainsparky  
#17 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 9:06:31 AM(UTC)
mountainsparky

Just cooked up three more of the briskets and some "recipe" and headed out to Maggie Valley Wednesday for a motorcycle rendezvous.BigGrin