logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline LWTCS  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:10:57 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

Groups: Registered

"Sounds like you are gonna try the Birdwatcher recipe.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/...opic.php?f=14&t=5018

It's tried and true and will not require all thje brewshop extras.

Make tight cuts and let your collection vessels air over night.

Evaluate the next day and I'm sure you'll see a world of difference.

Do this first, then worry about charcoal later."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:16:48 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: kentucky7887 Go to Quoted Post
I made a sugar wash out of a turbo. Then I ran it through the reflux and threw away everything up to 78 and then I tried to keep the temp as close to 78 as i could and collected the theoretical yield and then tossed the rest. Added water to make it 80 and it still smelled funny. I had a 50l wash. oh and no charcoal was used. I've heard you really should not need it but I think I'm going to start. I want to try a recipe from homedistiller.org that has one using bakers yeast and tomato paste and some other stuff for the base I'll post it later when I can find it.

Forget the friggin thermometer. i set my digital to alarm me when its time to start thewater flow. Also use it as a temp change. At my altitude a bit over 72 is the hearts range. 78 is heading to tails.

Collect as suggested into very small increments like a cup at a time. Cover with coffee filters for 24 hours or more. Taste, smell and feel the product. Cut the tasting down at least by half with water in your tasteing spoon. Recors your volumes and use this for future runs. If the same wash is used. So much better than a temp based run to achieve good spirits.

Cheers."
Offline kentucky7887  
#23 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:45:11 AM(UTC)
kentucky7887

yep that the recipe.
Offline tripod  
#24 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2011 1:05:54 AM(UTC)
tripod

"I just did the wheat vodka recipe and got very little out put at still time. What did i do wrong??? heated water to 165, added rye, removed from heat and stirred 5 minutes like recipe says. Then when down to 152 added wheat malt. Once down to 85 added vodka yeast with ag.............fermented 4 days........very little output!
dissapointed and would appreciate any input.........
thanks
Sad"
Offline LWTCS  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:40:06 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Likker has been traditionally rendered from what local folks could source. Vodka can be any thing . Old school vodka does have flavor. This notion of nuetral is a relatively modern concept that evolved into a style that the competition soon replicated. Till there was a sea of vodka that taste like nothing,,,,,,or what ever one added to it. So how does the competition distinguish itself when all the vodkas in the feild taste like ,,,,,,,,,,nuetral??? By adding back fruit notes or reducing times distilled or some such thing........by comming full circle and leaving some flavor in the final product ahla Titos or Chase.
Potatoes dont have but just a lil bit of yeild for a bunch a work.
I would hone your stilling skills and just go 3-4 times through your still with brutal cuts. The birdwatcher recipe or the wposw will git you some pretty nuetral product."
Offline LWTCS  
#26 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:20:41 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"BTW, the Chase, Titos styled vodkas are using a grain bill similar to the bourbon styled beverages...The product has a nice sweet grain quality that is very light.

My point is that if you like that corny note,,, I would say that the UJSSM makes a dern good old school vodka too.

Cheers BW
Larry"
Offline LWTCS  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 11:53:57 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Have not tried for myself as I stick to rum production. But have tried member's samples within the community.

Its a great recipe."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#28 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:09:21 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
I stick to rum production.

I was looking at some rum recipes as a gift to my cousin. Many seem fairly involved. Any recommendations on a simple first go recipe? Doesn't have to be great ... just in the neighborhood of ""rum-like.""

--JB"
Offline Shinejunky  
#29 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:52:09 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

"Found this rum recipe on a copper still site I've used a couple of times with good results. Note this is not my recipe don't know who to give credit to.
BLACK BEARDS RUM*

Two pounds of brown sugar per one gallon of water and one cup of honey for every ten gallon batch. Starting hydrometer reading of about 90. Do not exceed 100. Add 1 to 3 ozs of yeast per 10 gallons of mash.*

Heat one fourth of your water to 120 or 130 degrees only hot enough to melt the sugar, then stir in your sugar and then the honey last. Pour it into your fermenter and finish filling with cool water to cool it down to 80 degrees. Take a hydrometer reading and adjust as needed. The add your yeast. 6 to 14 days to ferment.*"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#30 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:14:19 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
How do you get to product? Strip then spirit run? Or do you do you just do a spirit run from the get-go?
Offline Shinejunky  
#31 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:02:46 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

All ive ever ran is a pot still, so double distill is what I have done using this recipe. Distill once add water and run 2nd time making the cuts then. This recipe has produced some drinkable mixable hooch. The 2nd time the stuff gets hot and you have to cut it to get the proof down.
Offline div4gold  
#32 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:08:02 AM(UTC)
div4gold

"I've use molasses that I buy in a 5 gallon bucket at a feed store. It's about $30.

The rum recipe I use is:
8 lbs of white sugar
2 lbs of molasses
5 tsp of yeast nutrients
1 tsp of Epsom salt
6 tsp of lemon juice
1 packet of E1118 yeast
this is for a 5 gallon ferment"
Offline div4gold  
#33 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:32:29 AM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Hey Div what do we look for in the molasses section at the feed store? Black Strap? Low sulphur etc. Or is there even any choices available. Is there some kinds which should not be used? Seems like I have heard some of the yard doctor types on the radio mention horticulture grade which made me think maybe it was not good for human consumption. Thanks.

The feed store I went to only had one kind and it was for livestock. It says on the bucket that it is not for human consumption but since it is being converted to alcohol I used it . No ill affects. If I was going to use molasses for flavoring finished rum then I'd use the kind you get at the supermarket. Doesn't really seem much different than using chicken feed for a corn substitute. If you use the small jars of molasses you get in the supermarket for your primary fermentation you'll break the bank."