logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:30:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Well it's spring and the melon's are already being harvested. I picked up a big ol sweet seeded melon and made me a 5 gallon wash. I have found that the ones with seeds are sweeter.
The one I used was prolly 25-30 lbs. The way I do it is I split em long ways and put the meat through a blender seeds and all. The seeds and meat form a cap during fermentation that I stir back in several times to get all the goodie out of it. Of course I wont put all that in the still.
Here is my recipe......givera try sometime soon.

This is for a 5 gallon wash
One big ole watermelon with seeds.
10 lbs of sugar
2 spoons of DADY brewers yeast
3 Beanno tabs
A good squirt of lemon juice
1 spoon of Epsom Salt
4 spoons of Fermax yeast energizer
1 cup of baby food

All the melon didn't make 5 gallons so I heated 1.5-2 gallons of water and poured that over all ingredients except melon and yeast. Just to make sure my sugar was melted and ready to to be consumed by the yeast. After sugar was melted and stirred I added the melon and topped the fermenter with water. My starting gravity was just above 1090.
I added my yeast and put er to bed in my ferm/chiller. I'm gonna add a pic or two soon, thx.
Offline Discgolf420  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:42:35 PM(UTC)
Discgolf420

Groups: Registered

cool, sounds delicious. Does the Watermelon flavor come through nicely? It's hard to imagine that after fermenting and distilling it would still taste like watermelon. Also, you say "1 spoon" or 4 spoons. What's the measure on that? Last wash i made was a Birdwatchers, and i'd never made it before. Recipe recommended Epsom salts, but didnt specify quantity. I added about 2 TSP to a 6.6G wash, and holy shite.. stunk up the house something fierce. The SULFATE in magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) must have been far too much and it produced a strong rotten egg/ fart stench. After degassing and clearing the smell has mostly gone away.. but it's still barely detectable. I was going to use the wash to do my cleaning/sacrificial run, but i'm a bit worried that that smell could be left in the still/condensor/ packing. That would be a damn shame. First run ever only to stain the thing with stinky egg smell. NOt sure if i should go for it.

Also... Baby Food? Brand? Type? Why did you add this? For nutrients?
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 3:15:20 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Good day, I'm hoping the flavor does come over. I make a peach the same way and yes the peach does come over but you will find that most fruits just wont come over in the distillate. I wish I knew why but most fruits just don't.
Of course the way you run your still is everything when it comes to capturing flavor care over.

As to the spoon size, it's just a plastic spoon you take on a picnic.

I've never heard of the salt creating a egg smell and I use it in every wash I make...hmmm I don't know why it would create that smell. I've even added salt that they use in making beer and never had the bad smell thing. IDK?

Yes the baby food is nutrients for the yeast. I use Gerber because that's what I use to make a neutral likker and it's what I had on hand.