logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#21 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:20:55 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I too have a permit :)
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
#22 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:57:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: Bayou-Ruler Go to Quoted Post

I already did my friend and Bubba's Barrels is already in my favorites. :)
#23 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:05:41 PM(UTC)

I already did. In fact I was about to duplicate your still set up. This guy has a good one as well, but I am not liking the boiler he's using:

http://abacusauto.blogspot.com/

I'm also using Bubba's Barrels. It'll be a little while before I can begin though.
Offline SlippySlope  
#24 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 7:49:03 AM(UTC)
SlippySlope

"
Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
I was going to ask how you handled your bonding requirements

However, that's a great question John Barleycorn. My understanding is that a bond is not expensive but you can also buy a government Treasury Bond (and earn interest) in the amount of the desired bond amount (i.e., how much alcohol is intended to be held in bond) and that satisfies the bonding requirement. This just something that I recall reading on the TTB website."
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#25 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:25:40 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: knightmare1015 Go to Quoted Post
I already did. In fact I was about to duplicate your still set up. This guy has a good one as well, but I am not liking the boiler he's using:

http://abacusauto.blogspot.com/

I'm also using Bubba's Barrels. It'll be a little while before I can begin though.

The position of the cross tubes is not efficient. That is an outdated design.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
#26 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 10:56:52 AM(UTC)

The position of the cross tubes is not efficient. That is an outdated design.

I know that's why I didn't duplicate his set up. I think that a tower with a water jacket on the outside of the column is alot more efficient. The quality isn't as good as the cross tubes, but I'm pretty sure that filtering would take care of that very easily. I'll have to go to your website and take a closer look at your distilling tower.
#27 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 11:00:32 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: SlippySlope Go to Quoted Post
However, that's a great question John Barleycorn. My understanding is that a bond is not expensive but you can also buy a government Treasury Bond (and earn interest) in the amount of the desired bond amount (i.e., how much alcohol is intended to be held in bond) and that satisfies the bonding requirement. This just something that I recall reading on the TTB website.

They've kindly made it a little complicated when it doesn't need to be. You can either use this method, or you can use an approved bonding company that they recomend.
Offline admin  
#28 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 3:33:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Quote:
I think that a tower with a water jacket on the outside of the column is alot more efficient.

Actually, although the column looks nicer with an external jacket as opposed to internal cooling lines, it is far less effective as most of the vapor is never cooled (ie. the forced reflux is only along the column wall). It is also less efficient because the column wall is approximately twice as thick as the cooling line walls, so the heat transfer rate is roughly half.
#29 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:01:18 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Actually, although the column looks nicer with an external jacket as opposed to internal cooling lines, it is far less effective as most of the vapor is never cooled (ie. the forced reflux is only along the column wall). It is also less efficient because the column wall is approximately twice as thick as the cooling line walls, so the heat transfer rate is roughly half.

I'll keep this in mind because I might be ordering a new tower here pretty soon because the one I have now will only produce up to 125 proof which is not high enough to be considered fuel. The advantages of an AFP over a DSP license is that an AFP has no proof limit like a DSP would here in VA. I'll explain. As many of you know some states made the 180 proof version of Everclear illegal or extremely hard to get. Virginia is one of those states. The only thing you can really get here that was made domestically is the 151 proof version but even that is limited. About the highest proof you can buy is around 160 proof which is a watered down version of imported tequila. Now I have noticed a huge difference in other states while others have the same restrictions as Virginia and some are even worse.
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:50:56 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

You can get 190 proof ever clear here in Louisiana
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline heeler  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:06:48 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Just adding to the legal vs. illegal issue, nothing about towers or permits.......

This happened in a town not far from me a few days ago and wanted to pass on the info just incase someone gets any ideas. I'm not judgeing or accussing just passing on...
A man set up to sell his still (the quote was Moonshine still of course) and unbeknownst to him it was to undercover agents and included a few recipes to go with the purchase. The artical stated the seller said mine is the best ever so I'll throw in a few recipes and give instruction to make it an easier sale. I dont know how they met or got together for the sale. The seller also had a firearm during the sale which of course made it a felony.
He wasn't caught making hooch and did'nt have any in his possession just the still and the gun so as they exchanged the unit for the cash fit hit the shan!!
They met in a public place for the sale and the seller was arrested on the spot. I think the artical stated 3rd degree felony since a firearm was involved.
I wonder what would have happened if he had a quart or two of his ((((best ever)))) product, would the fines and punishment have been worse??

Also I wonder what would happen if he --the seller--said he was selling a distillation unit not a moonshine still and did not offer any recipes for likker, would it still be illegal??? I bet the fact that he bragged about his hooch and how he could make the best hooch ever (and so can you with this still) is what really made the case, he convicted himself by saying my hooch is the best and if you buy my still you can make likker too.
I remember hereing someone say ----dont sell, dont tell!"
Offline heeler  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:17:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Just another thought.....lets say I purchase a ---distillation unit---form Brewhaus and have never made a single run with it, or even if I made it, decide that I just dont want to take any chances and decide to sell it, if I arrange to sell it and the buyer is undercover FBI is it legal or am I breaking the law just because I want to sell a distillation unit on the street???
Maybe if I dont brag that I can and have made likker it might not be wrong. How about if I state, this unit is a distillation unit for makeing ethanol fuel is it still illegal?? Afterall its still a distillation unit. Ya know maybe delivery, you know the spoken word, is everything. If I say fuel maker still and not likker makein still that might be the difference between incarcaration and freedom. Things that make ya go hmmmm."
Offline RCRed  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:30:02 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm convinced - Mine will be a planter when retired...

I agree, his brags are what got him. I'm pretty sure the TTB has rules posted on the site about how one goes about selling a distillation unit. If it was me, I'd probably say, "Gee, I inhereited this stuff from a friend, I don't even know what it's really for other than what I've looked up on the internet about the model"... If I was asked did I know this or that about it or it's functions, I would say I have no understanding..
Offline dieselduo  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:53:26 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
here's the news story. 40k bond ? http://www.wptv.com/dpp/...is-is-best-anyone-tasted
Offline RCRed  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:05:02 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Ok, that means the bail bondman made 8 grand (20% of the bond if he was able to bond out). Add another ten grand to the scheister lawyer to defend ya, court payoffs (oops, fees) and you are easily looking at 20 grand to get outa that with a reduced misdemeanor charge... Ain' worth selling.
Offline dieselduo  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:15:10 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
looks like he was just selling the still not the product. either way I couldn't afford that hit
#37 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:33:20 AM(UTC)

You can get 190 proof ever clear here in Louisiana

It's different for each state. It's actually worse in some others. In PA you have to sign for it and sign an agreement stating that it's for fuel use only. While you can get it very easily in other surrounding states.

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Just adding to the legal vs. illegal issue, nothing about towers or permits.......

This happened in a town not far from me a few days ago and wanted to pass on the info just incase someone gets any ideas. I'm not judgeing or accussing just passing on...
A man set up to sell his still (the quote was Moonshine still of course) and unbeknownst to him it was to undercover agents and included a few recipes to go with the purchase. The artical stated the seller said mine is the best ever so I'll throw in a few recipes and give instruction to make it an easier sale. I dont know how they met or got together for the sale. The seller also had a firearm during the sale which of course made it a felony.
He wasn't caught making hooch and did'nt have any in his possession just the still and the gun so as they exchanged the unit for the cash fit hit the shan!!
They met in a public place for the sale and the seller was arrested on the spot. I think the artical stated 3rd degree felony since a firearm was involved.
I wonder what would have happened if he had a quart or two of his ((((best ever)))) product, would the fines and punishment have been worse??

Also I wonder what would happen if he --the seller--said he was selling a distillation unit not a moonshine still and did not offer any recipes for likker, would it still be illegal??? I bet the fact that he bragged about his hooch and how he could make the best hooch ever (and so can you with this still) is what really made the case, he convicted himself by saying my hooch is the best and if you buy my still you can make likker too.
I remember hereing someone say ----dont sell, dont tell!

Basically this guy got too arrogant and bragged too much about his hooch. That, the firearm, and he was more than likely selling his stuff as well. Someone that braggs or bragged like he did, usually tend to also talk too much and just get into home distilling for the money which is also sad and gives us a bad name. If he had hooch there, it definately would've been alot worse. They also probably got him for not registering his still. It's a double standard. Watch my next post.
#38 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:43:10 AM(UTC)

These 2 things get more people arrested and more regualtions thrown apon us more than anything else: Stereo Typing and Double Standard. The first is pretty obvious. Certain people see a still, and they automatically think moosnhine and want to know if they can buy some. They don't take into account that ohter stuff is made by distilling. The double standard is that people including some law enforcment and government agencies arrest people for owning distilling equipment and yet they buy the exact same equipment. It's not illegal to own a still(s), but in some cases it is illegal. That's the double standard. You see the companies that sell and manufacture this equipment, pretty much walk a tight rope in terms of regulations.
#39 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:54:41 AM(UTC)

Here's another thing that I have learned first hand since going legal. TV shows like Moonshiners and Hatfeilds & McCoys: White Lightning, have made a serious impact. Not all of it has been bad. It's caused alot of law makers to take a closer look at some of the laws they have now in terms of home distilling. For Example: West Virginia use to have some of the toughest penalties and restrictions on distilleries that you'd ever seen in your life. Now all of a sudden, you can pay $50.00 bucks to get a license to make up to 20,000 gallons per year. I can live with a law like that. I've spent more than that just on supplies alone. But still it's not what we want. We want the freedom that home beer brewers and wine makers have today. They don't have to get a license and they can make as much as they want (some state do have limits, but they're not enforced).
Offline RCRed  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:34:18 AM(UTC)
RCRed

KM1015 - "What difference does it make" UserPostedImage if the next BH customer is an LEO of some organization? it's not illegal to sell the equipment, it's use is regulated. I'm not seeing that connection in that statement.

It's not illegal to posses the equipment either, it's illegal to make spirits for public consumption w/o a permit..... UserPostedImage

Edit: I might also add for edification, that the wonderful state of Florida allows entrapment... So you literally can talk yourself into a long vacation at the grey bar hilton there.