logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 10:33:47 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Let's get back on track...

This seems like the simplest approach, but given that the TTB is part of the Treasury (and hence only interested in tax dollars), I wonder if it would prove to be a successful path. Do I personally feel that hobby distillation should be any different from hobby brewing or winemaking? No, of course not. However, if the TTB thinks that they are losing more tax dollars (they can add up faster with spirits than beer or wine- yes, I know that people will not consume as much distilled spirit as beer, but I am trying to play devil's advocate a little here), then they are going to want to recover those. There are likely two viable options, as they would see it:

1) Stomp out hobby distilling.
You and I know that using the lists obtained to go after hobbyists will only serve to drive hobby distillers more underground. They will build instead of buy (reducing income tax on those selling equipment, but that's another story), and there will be less open discussion due to fear of prosecution, all of which only results in more danger due to unsafe equipment (in cases) and lack of knowledge. But, ultimately, they will never stop hobby distilling. (And look at all of the revenue from micro-distilleries as a result of hobby distilling turned commercial- do they really want to stop it??)

2) Recover those lost tax dollars.
Creating a Hobby Distiller's License would both bring in the lost tax revenue (and likely more), and reduce the costs associated with going after the hobbyist. This is even more of a good option (for the TTB) with the TTB pulling these lists, as people would be on the list. If they do not purchase the license then the TTB knows that the person is either not distilling alcohol or distilling illegally. Just throwing out a figure- a $100 per year license would be equal to the excise tax on nearly 50 bottles (750ml) of vodka. How many hobby distillers would realistically purchase that many bottles of spirits in a year? Very few. So, the lost revenue would be more than made up. A realistic number is probably more like $50 per year (that is still roughly 24 bottles of spirits per year, or one every couple of weeks!).

While I would be a bit put off by option 2, as I stand by my opinion that hobby distilling should fall under the same rules as hobby brewing and winemaking, I think that option 2 offers something that could gain a footing with the TTB, as you give them back the revenue that they feel they are losing. If you remove that from the equation then you should remove at least a reasonable amount of resistance with it. It would still be an uphill battle, but I don't think that the slope is quite as steep as just pushing for distillation to be moved under the same rules as brewing.

Thanks Admin,
I'm for the same rules, regulations, and costs as the home beer or wine maker. When these two were allowed entire industries were created to support these hobbies. Also several dozens of great craft beers and wines were created. The supplies purchased from these new industries and sales of these new craft beers and wines I would imagine have generated generous tax revenues for our country and states. This I believe is our carrot to offer. TTB fines would pay once or maybe even twice while driving some out of the hobby and other further underground and ending any possible revenue stream. Taxes on sales of supplies for our hobby alone will be a constant source revenue in the form of taxes. While not crazy about option 2, if it will get the rules changed I would buy a yearly license for around 50 bottles. Lets keep the discussion going. Some sort of legalization is the smart way to go and it is people like those on this and other forums dealing with our hobby who need to get it started.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#22 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 10:52:41 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: magnaman13 Go to Quoted Post
I am magnaman13,
I have signed the petition and I really believe our hobby is not fully understood by many. We do not make anything more than what our wash contains.
Maybe limiting still size and or Btu values used could help our hobby. I think the fear of a bunch of little distillers making and selling their product with out control is unnerving to those in power. I made beer long before it was lagit and have never had any urge to sell any of it. Guide lines with reason may help our cause.

Hi Magnaman,
Thanks for the support. While not great the petition is a good first start. The next step once the petition gets submitted to the 112th congress is to get at least one member from each party to support it in the form of a bill then support the bill in the form of hundreds of thousands of signatures submitted. The things we will have to do is prove that done correctly our hobby is safe. The good news for us is that for the thousands of users in this country you really don't hear of many accidents.
Maddawgs
Offline FAQs  
#23 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:21:57 AM(UTC)
FAQs

if you guys can keep up with my ramblin around (I ant good at getin my point across very good)antyhow,in my part of the world a few yearsago,the National Park Service tryed to out law traping on the rivers,well that stured up a stink and several starded fightin it and were not doin very good,so after some thinkin and comein wp wth the right corse it was beat! So back on track,the fight that was used was that it was heiritage and had ben done for generations and if outlawed the skill would be lost ! Just a though,I will help in the battle all I can and thanks again Rick
Offline admin  
#24 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:46:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I agree with you, futurenmc. This is why I am suggesting slowing down a little, so that we can discuss exactly what should be proposed, garner the support that we will need by getting a large enough group just waiting for a letter to be crafted and/or petition to be written, and then carefully craft the letter / petition. I know that we have lawyers out there that are doing this. Maybe one will step forward to help.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#25 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:16:26 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Just a few comments/thoughts:

If we were to succeed at only one thing, I would like it to be decriminalization.

I've seen some comments suggesting that we need to sell the idea to the TTB. I totally disagree with this. They do not make laws nor policy, they simply adminster them. Congress drafts bills and the POTUS signs them into law. If you read the thread on H.R. 3949 you would see that the bill did not actually legalize anything, it simply eliminated language that made it illegal to distill in a dwelling. It did not make it legal to own an unregistered still, or add any tax exemptions for home distilling. If H.R. 3949 were to suddenly pass, our hobby would still be illegal (unless you had a fuel license). So even something as simple as H.R. 3949 dies in committee. The obvious question is, "Why?" If we can't answer that question, we don't stand a chance. There's another thread that discusses contacting your representative. That's a good idea. We don't need our reps to sponsor any particular bill right now, we need to understand what would prevent the bills from passing in the first place.

I oppose any licensing for the sole purpose of taxation. If taxation was such a big deal, then home brewing/winemaking would be taxed. At a 200 gallons/year limit, the maximum loss of revenue (per household) for home brewing is approximately $116 (based on a tax of $18 per 31 gallon or less) and approximately $214 (based on still wine
14% abv or less). The current starting point for spirits is $13.50 per proof gallon. If you could argue that home distilling requires certification for safety purposes, well then you might have an argument for licensing. But now you'll need adminster the training requirements, testing, etc. etc. In any case, unless you can show me how my license (read: hobby tax) dollars are being used to benefit the hobbyists, then forget it. And don't say adminstration. I'm not interested in subsidizing a bureaucracy whose sole purpose is collecting more tax revenue ... especially when beer and wine gets a free ride.

I read some posts on other forums that suggest the equipment manufacturers should be spearheading this effort since they have the greatest pecuniary interests. I happen to agree with this. If you're a home distiller, you are a potential customer. And if the manufacturers dried up an blew away, I would build whatever I needed if I had the will to do so. Sorry Rick and Mike, nothing personal, that's just how I see it. That said, I want your businesses to succeed as you provide valuable goods and services for which we exchange the fruits of our labor.

I'm not a big fan of petitions -- I'll tell you why. First, I've been on the receiving end of various "petitions" throughout my career. If things are simple or "no big deal," and make sense, then you get my support. If they're complicated, then I always ask, "Ok. Who is going to do the work?" Then would come the silence. And that's where lots of petitions die. I've been researching many of the laws related to our hobby. Let me tell you, there are a lot of laws and regulations ... and they're spread out all over the CFR. Simply decriminalizing the hobby is a big task. So let's not bite off more than we can chew because in order to change laws, you have to find somebody who is willing to do the work ... and they'll only do the work if it makes sense. What I'm say is: break the problem up in to small digestible pieces and remove one impediment at a time. Here's an example, if I waived my magic wand and hobby distilling was legal, you would still be breaking the law if you distilled in your garage. Why? Because you're doing it in a dwelling. And that could carry a stiff fine and/or potential imprisonment.

That's why I would be in favor of focusing on decriminalization. I think it would give us the best bang for the buck to get things started. After that, perhaps work on allowing personal ownership of non-registered distilling equipment, then get the boiler size bumped up from one gallon to say, 15 gallons, etc. etc. Get my drift?

So my approach would be: let's talk to our representatives and understand where they stand and why, along with what they perceive to be the reasons a bill would die, and perhaps what it would take for a particular bill to succeed. Then prioritize based on the laws that actually prevent legal hobby distilling ... and start whittling away, one small piece at a time.

Best Regards,
--JB
Offline futurenmc  
#26 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:47:52 AM(UTC)
futurenmc

Very well said JB. That is one step farther than i thought or even knew about the possibility of going. Ill do some more research. Thanks for the post
Offline Alli  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:32:23 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"JB, your thoughts make a great deal of sense and I think we all agree with the ""why beer and wine and not moonshine"" reasoning. My guess is the laws go back to the days of Eliot Ness when there were hundreds if not thousands of illegal whiskey stills in the hills/mountains from Maine to Florida and were designed to prosecute the guys making thousands of gallons of moonshine a year. Hobby distilling has always been here since the Irish brought their stills to America to get away from the taxes in Ireland, however the internet has exploded the interest in this activity a hundredfold. As noted there are three primary interested parties; the sellers/manufacturers of distilling equipment, the buyers of said equipment and the folks who build their own equipment. I am also in favor of decriminalization as the first step.

How do we do that? I am willing to talk to my representative in Congress but I want to know what I am talking about. The world of hobby distillers is a very disorganized bunch. Those of us willing to work on this problem need to be talking the same ""talking points"" I would think . I am not an attorney and as noted in your post there are lots of laws that need to be changed, not only on the federal level, but also on the state level. Should we start at the state level like the marijuana lobby did? Maybe the manufacturers take on the feds and the end users work in their individual states. In my state, it is against the law to own a still, whether you use it or not. This could also turn into a religious issue for some critics of such a change.

Having said all of that, how do we all get on the same page??

Alli"
Offline scotty  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:52:25 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I believe that you are mistaken only in that owning a still is not illegal.

I re read and see that in your state. I didn't realize that some states had that law.

((( CHECK OUT THIS LINK ))))

http://www.ehow.com/list..._alcohol-still-laws.html
Offline John Barleycorn  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:47:15 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Alli,

""No person, who distills spirits solely for personal and family use, should be subject to imprisonment, forfeiture of property, or excessive fines.""

For now, that's my ""starting point."" And just to be clear:

- This has nothing to do with ""legalization."" I'm simply trying to address laws that prescribe draconian penalties upon people who are hobbyists. The law should recognize the difference between the classic ""moonshiner"" and a hobbyist (or home distiller).

- This doesn't mean that I seek to eliminate all penalties, nor eliminate potential tax liabilities. If I break the law and get caught, I expect to pay a fine ... just as I would expect to pay a fine if I were caught speeding. But I wouldn't expect to pay a $10,000 fine or spend 5 years in prison for traveling at 70 mph in a 55 mph zone, nor would I expect to forfeit my car and/or house if I did not come to a complete stop at a STOP sign.

So I've been scouring the laws trying to determine where these draconian penalties lie within the federal laws. Unfortunately, the industry is so very heavily regulated, and laws so old and established, that it forms a legal rat's nest. There are circular references, similar language in multiple chapters, etc. etc. Regardless, the first thing to do is to clearly identify which laws impose the penalties. Then determine which laws refer to those penalties. And finally, try to figure out a way to differentiate between the Tim and Tickles of the world and the folks who are just making a few quarts of vodka to drink in their own homes. If there's a simple way to limit penalties for hobbyists, then it's time to talk to some politicians.

I do very much like the idea of ""talking points."" And I like the KISS mentality (Keep It Simple Stupid!). So if you're willing to do some digging, I'd suggest that you start here:

http://www.law.cornell.e...7/chapter-I/subchapter-A

and if you're really motivated, you can venture off into 26 USC Chapter 51:

http://www.law.cornell.e...26/subtitle-E/chapter-51

Regards,
--JB"
Offline futurenmc  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:11:33 PM(UTC)
futurenmc

Holy circle of death. Rats nest is about the best way to describe the current regulations for distilling. After reading several parts, subparts, im agreeing with JB more and more. He is obviously much more knowledgeable with the law then I. Keeping it simple is our best bet. But i have a question how do we become organized enough to make a difference? Call our representative over and over until something happens?
Offline futurenmc  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:12:35 PM(UTC)
futurenmc

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Alli,

"No person, who distills spirits solely for personal and family use, should be subject to imprisonment, forfeiture of property, or excessive fines."

Where is your "starting point" located in that mess?
Offline scotty  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:11:47 PM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: futurenmc Go to Quoted Post

Be careful with the tone of your responses
Offline Maddawgs  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:31:51 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

OK, it has been my understanding (and I could be wrong) that until the home production of beer and wine for personal use was legalized they were controlled by the same laws controlling distilled alcohols, At some point in the recent past it was discovered that a high government official enjoyed making thier own beer and rather than prosecute and cause public embarssment the powers that be simply dropped these from the laws. Now I could have all of that wrong but I'm pretty sure that I have read that somewhere in the past. I'm also pretty sure that even though making beer and wine at home enjoy great growth and use in a legal sense they are still relatively new. When I speak of legalization for home use I mean just that. I'm thinking 30 to 50 750ml bottles a year. I'm for full legalization and not decriminalzation and would like to see it treat just like beer and wine. Like JB, I am not a fan of petitions but they are a good start. Petitions on thepetitionsite do sometimes work and if they get enough signatures they will generally as a next step look for supporters in congress and get a bill generated. If you sign the petition and use your real name a letter will be sent to your local state representative. If enough people in your area sign then your local rep gets a lot of letters. If enough local reps get a lot of letters they start talking to each other and they start to know what the people want. Despite all the crap the government is pulling lately this is still a people run government and if enough people want something changed the government has to act. JB is also correct in that when it comes time for the people to do some work we ususlly drop the ball (half the people don't even vote). I strongly believe
that full legalization is our only hope and we should all work to make that happen. I would happily support a well crafted bill and will join in to work at it. I am no lawyer but I will do what I can. I think getting this done is a lot easier than we think it is, we just have to get the process started. Sorry for the rant.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:32:07 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Originally Posted by: futurenmc Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure I understand your question.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:14:44 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Md,

Quote:
I'm for full legalization and not decriminalzation and would like to see it treat just like beer and wine.

I'm also for full legalization, but I consider decriminalization as a step along the way. As far as I can tell, most hobbyists don't give a damned about being legal, otherwise they wouldn't have started in the first place. What they do care about is the severity of the punishment. Imprisonment, forfeiture of personal property, and $10,000 fines are draconian -- that's punishment appropriate for the guys making thousands of gallons of hooch and selling it for a profit -- not for a personal use hobbyist. If it was a simple $100 fine for getting ""caught in the act"" I think most hobbyists would be willing to manage that risk, while working on the legalization effort.

I also think the average Joe-on-the-street (and typical politician) wouldn't have a problem with decriminalization. And I honestly believe that the average ATF/TTB officer couldn't be bothered with some guy running a 10 gallon still who occasionally makes a few liters of vodka in his garage. It's like busting folks in NYC with a few grams of weed in their pockets -- it's just not worth it -- and it won't make a difference. They would probably be glad if they weren't burdened with policing hobbyists.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Maddawgs  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:08:49 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Md,

I'm also for full legalization, but I consider decriminalization as a step along the way. As far as I can tell, most hobbyists don't give a damned about being legal, otherwise they wouldn't have started in the first place. What they do care about is the severity of the punishment. Imprisonment, forfeiture of personal property, and $10,000 fines are draconian -- that's punishment appropriate for the guys making thousands of gallons of hooch and selling it for a profit -- not for a personal use hobbyist. If it was a simple $100 fine for getting "caught in the act" I think most hobbyists would be willing to manage that risk, while working on the legalization effort.

I also think the average Joe-on-the-street (and typical politician) wouldn't have a problem with decriminalization. And I honestly believe that the average ATF/TTB officer couldn't be bothered with some guy running a 10 gallon still who occasionally makes a few liters of vodka in his garage. It's like busting folks in NYC with a few grams of weed in their pockets -- it's just not worth it -- and it won't make a difference. They would probably be glad if they weren't burdened with policing hobbyists.

Regards,
--JB

Hi JB,
Thanks for the reply. While not a fan of your suggested process if we can all get together and come up with some sort of bill to submit that would include it as a step I will support it. Using pot (an illegal class d substance, while alcohol is legal) as an example. In my state (MA) pot was decriminalized a few years ago with a $100 fine if caught with up to an ounce (which is actually a lot of pot) and just this year legalized for certain medical uses. I would think that once our local politicians start to see the revenues and fees and the recent full legalization in two states that full leagalization is just few years away here. So your suggested process does work given enough time. Now if we can get what was (and is still is in most states) get what is considered a gateway drug full legalization in two states and medical legalization in several others then we should be able to get what is legal to buy, own, store, and consume legal to make at home. Our biggest hurdles would be to prove that we can do it safely and that we are not selling it. I got into the hobby because I'm a cheap bastard and know it is cheaper to make your own than it is to pay $20 plus a bottle to buy. I have since discovered that the home distiller can also make it better. With decriminalization every time I get caught (and I think once you get caught you are going to get regular visits) the fines are going to add up to the point where it is cheaper to just buy it and this would drive me out of the hobby until it is legalized. This is why I think full legalization is a better course. it is less work, a faster process, and easier than we think. I think that just as when beer and wine were legalized that eliminating wording reffering to home distilation as long as it is not sold simply be dropped from the current rules, regulations, and laws. That is my suggested course of action. I have learned in my life that if you over complicate a simple process you open yourself up to problems and failure. I agree with you that for the TTB and any other regulatory authority to have to go after the small home distiller would just be a pain in the ass for them but I also know that if they are directed to do it they will. I can't speak for others but I personally don't want the TTB knocking on my door with a search warrent and would rather enjoy our hobby legally without the worry of fines, forfeture, or jail time. I'm really glad this thread is still going and has almost a thousand views. If all these viewers have suggestions please join the conversation.
Thanks again, Maddawgs
Offline futurenmc  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:08:53 PM(UTC)
futurenmc

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Be careful with the tone of your responses

I meant no offense when i said this. JB posted "No person, who distills spirits solely for personal and family use, should be subject to imprisonment, forfeiture of property, or excessive fines." and called this his "starting point". I looked through the chapters that he suggested and did not see it so i was simply asking where it was located so that i could read it. I apologize if anyone took it the wrong way. i will watch my wording next time.
Offline Alli  
#38 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:29:13 AM(UTC)
Alli

"JB,
I called the TTB in DC and all I got was a recording (our federal govt. hard at work), so I called the Tampa Office and spoke with a lady who said call your congressman. She said I could look up the law in the federal registry. No help from them.

I think that I will start at the State level - the idiots in Washington and to busy fighting with each other to have time to talk to me. I am not going to worry about the laws that need to be changed - it is their job to figure that out. Here are some points I think I can make - not in any order of presentation.

1) With the advent of the internet, the home (hobby) distilling industry is growing by leaps and bounds over the past 3-5 years

2) The hobbyists are not distilling for sale, but for their personal enjoyment

3) This activity is against a myriad of both state and federal laws that could result in fines, confiscation of equipment and jail time.

4) Current laws allow making all the wine and beer one can drink with no license or tax.

5) The TTB just required the manufacturers of all distilling equipment to send them a list of all of their customers for the past 3 years and quarterly reports thereafter.

6) What are they going to do with this list???

7) The tax laws go back for centuries when European kings taxed alcohol to help pay for their wars - the Irish moved here to get away from what they considered unjust taxes on their booze. In the early days of this country, almost every farm had a small pot still for personal consumpton. The recent TV show was not only inaccurate, buy has nothing to do with the hobby distiller. No matter what anyone says, the distillation laws in this country are all about the MONEY.

8) It is estimated by one manufacturer (Mile Hi) that 90,000 stills have been sold in the US in the past 3 years. It is reasonale to assume that there have been at least twice that many have been built at home.

9) The distilling hobby is a very diverse and anonymous group. Everyone uses alliases on forums to protect their idenity so there is not formal organization.

10) The rumor that home distilling is hazardous to ones health ( people going blind and all that crap) in absolutely untrue. The hobbiest is more careful of safety than the big distillers because they are the ones that are going to drink it. Examples are throwing out the first 50 ml of any wash that may (possibly) contain methinol and sterilizing all equipment after each use.

11) Probably only a very small percentage of the hobbyists know the TTB is collecting these lists. Is this more Big Government Big Data?

12) What are chances of a hobby distiller's license? Maybe a small fee of $25 to $50. No inspections! Ever.

13) The taxes being ""lost"" on the federal level are $13.50 / proof gallon. Hobby distillers might make 2 or 3 gallons a year each.

14) What will it cost the TTB to ""come after"" a hobby distiller for $27.00 in taxes. In our days of the Sequester this is a exercise in stupidity.

Please feel free to edit, correct, add to or otherwise make suggestions to this list. Thanks. Alli"
Offline scotty  
#39 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:14:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

I think all of ALLI's information is good.
Offline Alli  
#40 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:13:31 PM(UTC)
Alli

"All,
I had a thought I did not mention previously. There are basically two groups that would like to see the laws changed; the sellers of distilling equipment and distilling public in general. The merchants either know each other or know of each other. The reverse is true of the distilling public. To be the most effective, we need to somehow join forces so that the two groups can work together instead of both trying to invent the wheel from different directions. The lead probably needs to come from the manufacturers; the word needs to get out. I agree with JB that the petition idea is not the way to go. The problem is not going away so it should be attacked head on. How the hell do we do this??
Thanks.
Alli"