logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tracyman0111  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 6:17:27 AM(UTC)
Tracyman0111

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Wewtster Go to Quoted Post
Why would my whiskey turn slightly yellow like my wash? I did have a tiny bit of solids in my pot..but I figured coffee filters would take care of it.

One thing Ive learned (from a burnt batch) is not to pour your mash bucket right into your kettle. A lot of guys use a siphon pump or other device....i actually use my water pump from my cooling system. That way you can see how close to the bottom and how close to any sediments or solids youre getting.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 8:20:43 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Quote:
Why would my whiskey turn slightly yellow like my wash?
Was it puking?
Offline Wewtster  
#23 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 9:09:48 AM(UTC)
Wewtster

No..steady drops. No more than 2 or 3 a second..I have a basic pot still with a worm setup.
Offline Wewtster  
#24 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 9:10:56 AM(UTC)
Wewtster

Also note it didn't come out yellow..it was clear as clear can be. My middle cuts that is..
Offline nj12  
#25 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:40:10 AM(UTC)
nj12

well my first sweet feed run was a bust. i could only get 100proof before it started dropping off is this normal with a pot still. my buddy has the same still and made a rum he got 170 proof. any suggestions?
Offline AAIndigo  
#26 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 10:50:17 PM(UTC)
AAIndigo

"
Originally Posted by: nj12 Go to Quoted Post
well my first sweet feed run was a bust. i could only get 100proof before it started dropping off is this normal with a pot still. my buddy has the same still and made a rum he got 170 proof. any suggestions?

I'm a newbie as well but I think I can answer this. Your percentages are lower In Pot still mode. You wll have to run multiple times to bring this up to 170.

Are you sure your buddy didnt run his rum in Reflux mode? I get 170 every time in reflux??
AA"
Offline heeler  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:52:59 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: nj12 Go to Quoted Post

Was your mash --exactly--like his right down to the last item in the wash?? Was yours finished fermenting so you would have as much etoh as his? You captured likker so I dont think it was a bust just a learning stage no worries.....

Remember, the more times you put your hooch through the still the more it ---concentrates---the alcohol that comes out, or removes the remaining water. This can be a really good thing, sometimes re-distillation also leaves behind some smelly nasties we dont want too.
Low proof hooch could be caused by several things but that proof hooch doesn't mean bad hooch, it just means weaker and thats not always a bad thing."
Offline nj12  
#28 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:54:00 PM(UTC)
nj12

well i re ran my first two batches combined them and was able to pull 140 proof. going to throw some charred oak in and see what happens.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 1:28:51 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
going to throw some charred oak in and see what happens.

You might want to leave a good portion white for now and just experiment with just a small portion of your distillate ... to make sure you get what you want. If you like the results you can then oak the rest. If you don't like the results you have plenty of white left for more experiments.

--JB"
Offline plzrckr92566  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:09:32 PM(UTC)
plzrckr92566

I am wanting to make a sweet feed whisky but am still somewhat of a novice. I plan on using sweet feed as mentioned but in place of some of the sugar I want to add 2# of a light malt syrup I already have as well as some un-sulphured Molasses. I plan on ending up with about 8-9 gallons of mashed wash. How many pounds of sweet feed would you recommend? I am using a whisky yeast wit AG that will produce up to 12% abv. This whisky I am also wanting to use a limestone water as Does the distilleries in Kentucky for a smoother finish BUT have heard yeast prefers an acidic PH of around 5.0 give or take. So do I ferment with a low PH then dilute the final run with the limestone water or what?
My Idea for making this water is to use true limestone that has been rinsed and allowing it to soak for a period of time or boil it to extract the wanted minerals. Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Offline Jctab73  
#31 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:47:43 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

I think that you should stick with what works. Regular sugar, settled out tap water, by the second or third generation, I think that you will be right where you want to be. That's just my opinion though, whatever floats your boat.