logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FurFishNGame  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:43:23 AM(UTC)
FurFishNGame

Groups: Registered

I ended up buying a propane burner. It's the kind that you would fry a turkey with. I'm looking for a good stock pot now. Does the column have to be dead center? I would have to cut the lid handle with a grinder if I wanted that.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Cla...words=steel+stock+pot+24
#42 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:21:35 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Ok if you got the turkey burner in hand you do not need a crock pot sitting on the kitchen stove. Save up and buy a real still. Aint you got no plastic? Poor guy. Sure Rick at Brewhaus most likely has an EZ Pay tote the note plan. In fact when I hit him up on this deal I was directly connected to the credit manager named Helen Waite. Real nice lady. Sure Scotty would most likely co-sign maybe. Think I will hit him up myself when I decide to get the Harley or a Wing Banger etc. Kindly keeps us informed as events unfurl themselves. Thanks.
Offline scotty  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 12:57:58 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"BW the harley dealer called today and wants to sell me back my 2002 super glide. No price yet. Im dreamin again

UserPostedImage"
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:12:14 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I have no idea how you would ever get that pot to seal. I have always run a thumper which causes some back pressure. Maybe without it sealing is less important.
While i don't agree with wheels flippant use the of term "real still" which i think ive pretty clearly shown that all of us have or none of us have i do agree in the long run you will happier if you get a purpose made boiler.
The turkey burner is way overkill. Now you need a 13-15gallon boiler and a 2-3" column to go with it.
#45 Posted : Tuesday, July 03, 2012 2:30:33 PM(UTC)

Mighty cute Putt you showing there Bro. Hopefully the fella let you have back one day. I was just fixing to say before the words was took out of the hand and brain parts.lol. Hooking a stew pot up to a high pressure turkey burner would not be normally considered a good plan. Like killing a flea as you said..with a cannon so to speak. Now I would vote for the procedure in a heart beat if it had to do with deep frying or boiling up some fishy type stuff. Let me know. Thanks. The side burner on the gasser dont have quite enough testosterone for them kinda deals. Seems so anyway.
Offline FurFishNGame  
#46 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:25:10 AM(UTC)
FurFishNGame

Thanks for being a prick, bigwheel. You really opened my eyes to how bad the design was. I'll go buy the best, real still that I can find!
#47 Posted : Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:47:17 AM(UTC)

Ok smart thinking. I think Scotty will co-sign maybe. Kindly keeps us posted..thanks.
Offline Fusefinder  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:58:57 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Just my 2 cents worth.
I bought a ""still"" online, from one of those sites that keeps closing and opening up under a different name. It never seemed to produce any where near the quantity/quality they advertised. I modified it, even designed and built a few other stills, it was fun and I learned a lot along the way with the help of people on this site and a few others.
My design was simple 3/4"" copper male fitting threaded into a brass flange, bought 1/8"" rubber flange gasket material stainless bolts into the 3 gallon and a 5 gallon stainless stock pot lid, with a 3/4 hole punched it it. Foam seal thrown out after each use and spring clamps holding the lid tight. Family dollar is dirt cheep on 3 and 5 gallon stainless stock pots. I ordered a (I believe lead free) brass flange online fairly inexpensive.
At the top of the 3/4"" pipe a 3/4"" x 1/2"" x 1/2"" tee. A rubber bung 1/2"" and thermometer out the top. The other tee a short piece of pipe a 45 deg fitting then a Liebig condenser (1"" copper with a 1"" x 1/2"" reducer on each end. 1/2"" solid pipe through the reducers and 1/4"" copper drilled and soldered for the coolant lines) a small circulation pump in a 40 qt cooler lasted for a 3 gallon run. It was fun and I learned the basics and theory, and the product was drinkable!

I recently received a Brewhaus still I ordered and wow the difference it made! Increased yield in less time and a higher quality product!
Looking back, building the still was fun and I learned a lot. If I put all the money spent making that still something it wasn't, towards the Brewhaus model I bought or even a smaller unit, it would have been pretty close to paid for. I heard a lot of people say on this forum and others (save your money and buy what you will end up with in the long run anyway).
I guess I had to go down that road and see where it went for myself but I'm very glad I bought the Brewhaus model.

Again just my 2 cents and experience, or lack there of!"
Offline scotty  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:01:22 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Many will agree with you.
#50 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:08:05 AM(UTC)

Yes..all us type B endomorphs will agree with you. That just leaves the dedicated type A wannabe injuneer tinkers..piddlers and fiddlers to take the opposing view. Apparently the highest calling of some is to turn a crockpot into a hooch maker. Who can know the mind of man? lol.
Offline curtsat15  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:17:54 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

If you're just starting out, I think building your own is the best the best way to go. I can't argue with Fusefinder, or any of you on this point at all, as I am in the process of building my first still. But I am of the old camp (though I'm not yet 40), that the knowledge gained by learning HOW a thing works is worth the failures you will likely encounter. By the way aclambrecht, if you're looking for low-dollar pots and parts, check your local thrift store. Just my humble opinion.
#52 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:40:39 AM(UTC)

But but but..that leave some old non-mechanical minded folks in a hooch free condition. That would be krewlish and unusual or similar.
Offline curtsat15  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:43:37 AM(UTC)
curtsat15

Couldn't agree more BW. Each to their own!
Offline FurFishNGame  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:58:28 AM(UTC)
FurFishNGame

Just ordered an easystill Cursing Hope it's a good beginner device. I made a quick wine with 3.5 cups of sugar, 14 cups of water, and a tablespoon of yeast. When it gets here I'll toss it in and open a new thread.
#55 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:51:21 AM(UTC)

Sounds good Sir. Congrats on pulling the trigger on the new hooch maker. Betcha you will love it. Heard much braggin on them things as applies to them without much elbow room to manuver. May have to have one myself. Keeps us posted.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#56 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:55:29 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

All you needed was a boiler and you were on your way. Instead you spent more then the boiler would have cost and can only do a few quarts of wash at a time. I don't get it.
#57 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:28:25 AM(UTC)

You have apparently turned into the official forum Parade Rainer. Get back on your meds.
Offline drakkar  
#58 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 8:03:20 AM(UTC)
drakkar

"
Originally Posted by: ohyeahyeah Go to Quoted Post
No need for a straight drop before the worm. You can run an incline or decline to the worm, your call. And incline gives you a little natural reflux as the vapor cools and travels back to and down the column as liquid. With a decline the same thing happens but instead of acting as relux the condensing just eases the burden on your worm.
See the thing to consider is flavor. You need enough contact with the copper to remove the nasty sulfides. If you have a short column thats tiny your vapour speed will be so fast that you will get very little contact and you will unhappy with your end product.

I am tring to build a similar pot. I am tring to get an idea on what you are refering to on the incline. the question have on 3/4 column to your 3/8"" condenser, you said ""No need for a straight drop before the worm. You can run an incline or decline to the worm"" and ""incline gives you a little natural reflux as the vapor cools and travels back to and down the column as liquid"". or you talking about the worm sitting above the consider? emample the top of the coumn from the ground 40"" and say the incline on 3/8"" line going to the worm and the worm its self could be somethimg like 5' or 6' from the ground would that to much of an incline. would this be close and would it give a good reflux. thanks for any info or input"
Offline keith2125  
#59 Posted : Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:21:46 AM(UTC)
keith2125

If you're bound and determined to use a pressure cooker try buying one from Goodwill/Salvation Army or check out garage sales, flea markets and so on.
Offline Jax Rhapsody  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:27:32 PM(UTC)
Jax Rhapsody

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
i always thought that they cycled. I use gas for the last 8 years and dont have a clear rememberance. I googled it and the info said that the controlls worked like a light bulb dimmer. Thats all i found.

Well at any rate cycling is a no no for mashing and distilling. DATS FOE SHOE.

the top of the stove is constant, the oven, however, cycles because of the use of a thermostat, same reason those hot plates cycle. The stove top elements are like you said, ran by rheostats. The oven, like a house is a confined space, without a thermostat, even with a set temperature, it would get hotter and hotter- like a still does."