logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:59:51 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

SEB

The spec sheet gives recommended dosing: 200 - 800g/metric ton starch DS or whole grain.

Since it's liquid, how many grams per milliliter?

And while we're at it ... are there any studies/papers that have those nice charts of Activity v. Temp
Offline SpecialtyEnzymes  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:29:58 AM(UTC)
SpecialtyEnzymes

Hey JB,

Hope we are not treading on any toes here talking about very specific products, that are sold by yours truly. Might be a better private conversation...

Regardless,

Generally our enzymes fall in the specific gravity range of 1.1-1.2g/L. This means that for every kilo of liquid, there is roughly 850-910mL.

The B. Subtilis and B. Licheniformis alpha-amylases are not comparable by any stretch, they are designed for two entirely different purposes. As for activity conversions, I can provide those, but not the actual activities themselves. 1.2 DU/g = 1 SKB/g. 1BAU/g = 0.84 TAU/g/ 1KNU/g = 18.87 SKB/g.

DU/g = Dextrinizing unit per gram, typically used for bacillus subtilis. SKB = modified method for evaluating fungal amylases. TAU/g = Thermostable amylase units per gram, give you one wild guess :). KNU = Made up Novozymes evaluation method to hide activity units, which you can do when you control half the worldwide enzyme market I guess.

Specific charts are hard to come by, and I do not have anywhere to point you directly at this point in time. Think of activity vs. temp, and activity vs. pH as an optimum upside down "U" graph. The "Optimum range" of pH and temp are based on this graph that lands your activity of the enzyme in the 80-100% range, where the exact middle of the graph is the starting point of denaturation. SEBstar HTL has an optimum range of 80-85 C, theoretically 80-82.5 C will be in the 80-100% activity range without denaturation beginning. 82.5-85 C will be 100-90% activity with the beginnings of denaturation. The pH relatively the same.

I hope this helps to a degree.

SpecZyme
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:04:43 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"SpecZyme,

That helps to a considerable degree -- great info! Thanks!

BTW: I think the conversation is well within the acceptable zone. This is very specific techy stuff ... not an advertisement or an offer to sell ... just a hobbyist (who loves his PSII HC) trying to keep the boiler full. :)

WRT B. Subtilis v. B. Licheniformis: Unfortunately, for us hobbyists, we have to use what's available (and within budget)... even though the application fit may be less than ideal ... as long as it ""get us there."" The nice thing about the BA-100/SEBstar and SEBamyl products is that even a hobbyist can obtain the fundamental mash parameters. I've looked at other alpha/gluco offerings and there's no information ... and I mean nothing. You can't even ballpark the temps/pH by knowing the source organism. So I thank you again for your kind support.

Anyway, I can now say that I've used both BA-100 and SEBstar for my rice mashes. I've had good success with the BA-100. The jury is still out for SEBstar (for my current process) since the one and only mash that I've attempted using SEBstar is currently saccharifying ... but the liquefaction seemed to go ok despite the fact that I didn't hit my target strike temp and my pH was too low (don't ask!). I'll run my extract efficiency numbers tomorrow ... and get another mash started, hopefully with the necessary adjustments.

It seems I'd likely have better success with the SEBstar if I did the liquefaction in the brew pot & just boiled my rice. I've been steaming and doing the liquefaction/saccharification in the mash tun (which works great with the BA-100/GA-100). Steamed rice is so very easy to work with. Boiling is just a PITA to me ... and requires more attention ... so I'm hoping to be able to stick with the steaming ... we'll see.

Best Regards,
--JB"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:45:10 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

SpecZyme,

Sorry to be a PITA ... but ... just want to be thorough ...

The SEBstar HTL spec sheet calls for 200 - 800[COLOR="#FF0000"]g[/COLOR]/metric ton. Is that the correct unit? Any chance that should be 200 - 800 [COLOR="#FF0000"]mL[/COLOR]/metric ton?

It just seemed a bit odd that the recommended dose for a liquid is given as a weight rather than a volume ... especially when SEBamyl GL (also a liquid) is specified in milliliters.

--JB
Offline SpecialtyEnzymes  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 3:13:15 AM(UTC)
SpecialtyEnzymes

"Hey JB,

I know there is a lack of information out there, not just for the Hobbyist, but also for the Craft Distillers. The information available to Craft Beer compared to Craft Distilling is like Shaq versus a dwarf in size.

In general B. Subtilis will produce a medium temperature alpha-amylase, it is the cheapest and most widely available amylase out there. Medium temp alpha-amylases have a working temperature range of 120-175 F, optimum of 145-165 F. pH range of 4.5-7.5, optimum pH is roughly 5.5-7.

B.Licheniformis amylases generally are used to produce a thermostable alpha-amylase. This one gets a little bit trickier as there are a few different thermostable amylases on the market for different purposes (fuel ethanol vs. starch processing vs. beverage alcohol). The SEBstar HTL falls in the beverage alcohol category, with a temperature range of 165-195 F, optimum of 175-185 F. pH range of 5-6.5, optimum pH of 5.5 - 6.2. As you can see this one has a much smaller range of both temperature and pH stability, that needs to be taken into account when mashing.

Almost all amylases are stabilized by Calcium additions to the mash: Gypsum or chalk is not bad ideas.

The SEBstar HTL is intended for simultaneous high temperature gelatinization and liquefaction. In theory eliminating the need to take the two steps separately. If you are gelatinizing ahead of time to a degree, the SEBamyl BA would be much more beneficial because of its lower temperature (less heat) and looser restrictions on activity (temp and pH).

Steaming might be a better way to go as it is just a ""Fire and forget"" kind of thing when using a rice cooker. The SEBstar falls within a tighter temp and pH range, which is harder to control without the right equipment, even with the right equipment it"s not easy.

If you do try again I would recommend bringing the rice in the pot up to 180-185 F and holding it with the SEBstar for an extended period of time, hopefully until the iodine test is negative. This could take 1-2 hours though, depending on how thick you run the mash... Just an idea if you want to give it another whirl.

Best of Luck,

SpecZyme"
Offline SpecialtyEnzymes  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 3:21:07 AM(UTC)
SpecialtyEnzymes

JB,

With regards to your second question on dosing.

Yes you would think that, but a couple complicating factors come into play...

First, Specialty Enzymes does our inventory, ordering, etc. all by metric weight.
Which brings us to the second point, 1 kg does not equal 1 Liter. The specific gravity of most enzymes falls in the 1.1-1.2g/L which is not an equal conversion.
Thirdly, I have no idea who came up with the dosing schemes to be honest...
Fourthly, the dosage is given as a range which gives more than enough room for ambiguity; testing, etc. (think that is called CYA)

Should it be given as mL? Yes, probably just to maintain continuity... Would it change dosing recommendations? Probably not... Ideally dosing is dialed in on a pilot scale batch where minimum enzyme input can be found to get the desired effect, which is more the way these product sheets are aiming people. Which is not realistic for the home user I know, but that is how the sheets are...

Hope this helps,

SpecZyme

P.S. I edited my first post for clarification.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 8:33:18 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"SpecZyme,

Thanks a million for your posts! Great stuff ... and it clears up a lot of questions.

To follow up on my latest rice mash with the SEBstar and GA-100 ... it turned out great ... at least numerically. I managed just shy of 34 ppg using off-the-shelf medium grain rice. The measured numbers are: 24L
1.086 using 16 pounds of rice. I know the SG is probably a bit lower due to the suspended solids, but it's the best I've managed so far.

Now I'll have to see how well it ferments. The lowest FG I've had is 1.005. I'll follow-up once it finishes -- EC-1118 is dog slow -- so it may be several weeks. The last batch produced a very nice, crystal clear, amber rice wine. I didn't get the lees compressed very well ... but I didn't use a clearing agent.

Anyway, thanks again!

Regards,
--JB"