Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plain old sugar wash recipe

Default Plain old sugar wash recipe

If you use the 1118 yeast,make a large starter with 2 packs and let it work for 3 days.I use the distillers yeast or bakers yeast for best results.This is low gravity for a reason.To keep it clean,and to NOT get stuck.If you add more sugar than the recipe calls for,it will take alot longer to ferment,might get stuck,and wont be as clean.Try it!You will be glad you did.
    Heres a simple recipe for sugar.Its a low gravity wash.
    4 gallons of water{This makes 6 gallons}
    yeast starter or 1/2 cup bakers yeast,or 1/4 cup superstart distillers yeast
    8 pounds of sugar{dissolved in hot water}Starting SG 1070-1080
    1 Tsp of DAP
    1 Tsp of citric acid
    1 Tsp of gypsum
    A pinch of epsom salt
    Ferment at 75f until finished {2 weeks or when its at 990SG},and let settle for another week,then run.I potstill it.This will make a clean neutral thats
    tasty at 80 proof.Just throw out the first 200mls and stop collecting at 35%.

The topic post "Plain old sugar wash recipe" drew me in for a look. I've been reading and note taking getting ready for my first attempt. I'll be using turbo pure 48 (thats what was supplied in the kit). Your recipe differs some from the very simple ones. I would like to know why the gypsum and the epsom salt? I hope to end up with a decent SPD, because my wife loves the smooth strawberry moonshine thats indigenous to our area.
    thank you sir
    Last edited by smeag; 09-17-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Smeag,

I've used wineos recipe several times and can vouch for it. The gypsum reduces the acidity and I forget why the epsom salt is for. Wineo can tell you that, but I would strongly suggest that you follow his recipe. He's done a lot of work perfecting it.

blanik

What is DAP?

Di Ammonium Phosphate
    Last edited by Blanikdog; 09-09-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks for the info.
    I am learning thanks to you folks RW

You're welcome. Learn steadily and safely.

blanik

Default Dap

As far as the DAP goes, at my local wine supplier all i can find is a Yeast Energizer. It contains Contains Diammonim phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, and Vitamin B Complex.. Will that work?

Do i still need to add the Epsom Salt?
    Last edited by dnlb32; 12-09-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Difference between the energizers.

It sure will.

blanik

No, it's already in the energiser. I just add the DAP, magnesium sulphate and B vitamin separately. The yeast hulls are only dead yeast. I use the dead yeast from the previous wash. It's the same thing. Plain sugar has no nutrients, all you're doing is giving it something to feed on.

Just add the Yeast Energiser that you bought according to the directions on the packet.

blanik