Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double distillation

cooker Guest

Default When double distilling, on the

When double distilling, on the 2nd. run do you cook it all the way out?
    Thanks Jim

c....freebrew Guest

Default When I double distill I take t

When I double distill I take the product from the first run and dilute it with water then yes you run the product all the way out. I still collect foreshots, heads, middle than tails.

Default Double Distill

is there a reason to double distill, better quality spirit?

Words can't describe how much better it is!

You will get a much better product and be able to determine cuts much easier also improving on your already better product.
    Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Default double distilation

Hey
    Every body says to put the heads and tails back in for the final distillation, if we keep doing this time after time it looks like we will have a lot of the junk we are trying to eliminate,
    Please add input.
    mj

Quote Originally Posted by docmj View Post
    Hey
    Every body says to put the heads and tails back in for the final distillation, if we keep doing this time after time it looks like we will have a lot of the junk we are trying to eliminate,
    Please add input.
    mj
    Depends/ For rums, yes the way down tails. For whiskeys, perhaps if you are an excellent taster.

Heads and tails contain a great quantity of excellent etahanol. They can make a great neutral. When enough is aquiered>

They can also be used to flavor future grain distillations, but the cuts must be maintained proporly. This is what make our product better than store bought.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwalker2 View Post
    Depends/ For rums, yes the way down tails. For whiskeys, perhaps if you are an excellent taster.

Heads and tails contain a great quantity of excellent etahanol. They can make a great neutral. When enough is aquiered>

They can also be used to flavor future grain distillations, but the cuts must be maintained proporly. This is what make our product better than store bought.
    As Im starting to make Rum,Should I be saving Heads and Tails for next run or will it lessen the quality

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy.23 View Post
    As Im starting to make Rum,Should I be saving Heads and Tails for next run or will it lessen the quality
    As long as you are making the proper cuts your quality will always be there. You are simply recouping spirit that would have been lost otherwise.

ok Thank you