Thread: Rum in a reflux still

Samson Guest

Default I want to make a rum run but a

I want to make a rum run but all I have is a reflux still. Would it be ok to run it without any packing? And if so will I need to run it through twice? Or can I just pack half the column and do it in one run.
    Thanks for any help on this

Barefoot Larry Guest

Default Remove all the packing, unless

Remove all the packing, unless it's copper mesh. Leave a single scrubber or a LITTLE mesh in, so the vapor will have contact with some copper. You don't want it refluxing, though. Run it as a pot still, twice. Take output of the first run, dilute it by about half (or a little more) and re-distill.

Samson Guest

Default Now for the tricky question. W

Now for the tricky question. When I run my reflux I stop collecting when my thermometer hits 180 degrees F. Should I do the same for the rum or should I go hotter/cooler.First run 172F. to ? second run 172F. to ? Forgive me but all I have ever ran is thin wart made from sugar. And I want to try differant things but I'm not sure about the temp range. I don't mean to sound like an a** but if I don't know how I ask.
    Thanks

Alex_C Guest

Default Samson, No assery involved

Samson,

No assery involved, itís a valid concern
    Not sure about the temp in F but in C, if you stop collecting at around 84c, you'll end up with a light smooth rum, that would be pretty quick to mature to drinking grade. Collect to 90c and you get a heartier, heaver, richer rum, though it might take a bit longer to mature (if you use a clean fermenting yeast 3-6 weeks should be enough for it to break down).

Donít be alarmed though, pre-aged rum (if you collect in the higher ends) smells like a pretty strong kick in the mouth. Just give it a few weeks to age and you should be ok.

You can also use a full reflux to distill your rum, once again, simply collect to the higher temps. I havenít tried this yet, but theoretically it has a couple of advantages. You end up with a higher ABV starting product, hence you have less of the contaminants you rather not be drinking (some that will come through in a double distillation method). The second is more prolonged contact with copper. Rum produces quite a bit of sulfur in its fermentation process and copper is a natural ďspongeĒ for it.

Keep us posted as to how things progress.

Cheers

Elricko Guest

Default Samson: I have run it both

Samson:

I have run it both ways. You definately get more rum flavor they way mi compadres explained it, however I've run in a full reflux mode and gotten very good rum also. Either way will give you rum. If you go reflux collect at around 85%. What recipe did you use?
    Cheers

Samson Guest

Default Hey thanks for the info. My th

Hey thanks for the info. My thermometer has a F.mode and a C.mode so I can get the right temp. As far as the recipe I just used 1Gal.molas 6 pounds dark brown sugar and 6 pounds cane sugar and 6.5 Gal fresh spring water. As for the yeast I used wine yeast it seems to work nice for me.