Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: basic moonshine recipe

legacy36

basic moonshine recipe

hey im new to this whole distilling process, i have a 15.5 gallon keg and purchased a essential extractor ps11 column, i need a basic moonshine recipe to make around 12 gallons of mash, i have sugar, cracked corn, but i am also confused as to which yeast i should use, i have instant dry yeast i just picked up at the store but im not sure if that will work. i see you can make mash out of just sugar, yeast, and water but not sure if that would taste good. So i am basically looking for a step by step on how to make 12 gallons of mash using cracked corn, sugar, water, and whatever yeast would work best.

THANKS!

okie
    I'm a newbee also but I have been reading for many years on how to distill. Before that I was a wine maker and that gave me tons of experience with the fermenting process. I had experience with sanitation, brewing techniques, yeast, racking, etc. For me going to the next step to distillation was another step all be a huge step.

You didn't mention any experience or knowledge you already have so my suggestion is to read, read, read. There are a few great forums and they have all the knowledge you'll need. Just one observation from me, your still is a reflux design. Those are for clear spirits like vodka, rum, gin. You would want to run a whiskey wash in a pot still. Can you adapt it to run as a pot still?

legacy36
    i honesly have next to zero knowledge on how this stuff works, i understand the basics i just need to figure out how the fermintaion process works along with what kind of yeast and everything else to use to make 12 gallons of mash, ive been told my keg and essential extractor psii will work to run whiskey no problem.. NEED MASH RECIPE any basic mash recipe will work with me! thanks guys

okie
    Do a search. There is a search button in the upper right corner, use it.

John Barleycorn
    Hey Okie,

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Before that I was a wine maker
    Did you ever try your hand at making sake? Or did you stick with the grapes?

--JB

okie
    I stuck with the grapes. Never tried rice. Once I bought out the entire wholesale produce market of concord grapes and made 18% plus wine. It was the smoothest mad dog you ever drank and I had over 150 gallons of it. Lots of drunks with that stuff.

John Barleycorn
    I had over 150 gallons of it. Lots of drunks with that stuff.
    That must have been a helluva lot of grapes!

I've been getting an itch to try my hand at making some brandy lately. But I still have a lot more to do on my current projects so it'll have to wait. I might ask you for some help/guidance when I get around to it if you don't mind.

Regards,
    --JB

okie
    It filled a Lincoln up. The trunk and the entire inside of the car except for where I sat and enough room to see the right hand door mirror. The hard part was squeezing all of them. Wouldn't do that again. Way too much work.

AAIndigo
    Quote Originally Posted by legacy36 View Post
    i honesly have next to zero knowledge on how this stuff works, i understand the basics i just need to figure out how the fermintaion process works along with what kind of yeast and everything else to use to make 12 gallons of mash, ive been told my keg and essential extractor psii will work to run whiskey no problem.. NEED MASH RECIPE any basic mash recipe will work with me! thanks guys
    I just finished my first run. I ran, and will run a few more times, a simple Sugar wash. Search that and you should find about 100 diferent variations of this recipe. Very simple, Sugar, water, Tomato paste, Yeast culture, pinch of Epson. The amounts vary with the batch size. Your running a larger batch then most so look around/ask. I went with the Brewhause 48hr Turbo Yeast. Man this stuff cleaned it up. I also bought some EC-1118 for my next runs, Just google that and you will gets some hits or call your local brew shop..

Great first run. Turbo Yeast took off and settled down after 2/3 days. I took it of the yeast cake on day 5-6? and transfered to a secondary to clear for about a week. It didnt clear all that much, still a bit murky.

I ran it through my reflux yesterday and I got about 2 1/2 qts of 175 proof Hooch. Its breathing now

Keep it simple at first and then start messing with recipes. 12 gallon wash will take 8 to 12 hours to run.

Good Luck

AA

okie
    I'm assuming you have done a cleaning run first. When I build my new pot still I'll run a gallon of white vinegar and distilled water first, then run a bottle of cheap wine and water second and toss that. I might do a sugar shine too and use that for windex. Then I know the stuff is fit for human consumption.

We need to keep it safe.