Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Washington's Rye Whiskey??

Default George Washington's Rye Whiskey??

Ok, i fell victim to the moonshiner's episode where they talk of makin GW's rye whiskey. I looked for rye locally and omg its high as a cats back. Over $25 for a 50 lb bag. Has anyone used wheat in their grain bill? Can you use rye flour instead of rye grain? Was the original recipe for GW's 60% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley? Any tried and true recipes out there w/ rye or wheat ?
    Thanks

Farmin

Lecanto florida now; but moving to hawiaii after lottery payment

there is a recipe in the book moonshine-i was reading it last night--the burbon one looks good too

the feed store has flaked grains--usually cheap-- nif horses can eat it so can humans
    1-----Dont hesitate to ask any question. All questions help us all to keep sharp.
    2---- Put lots of information in your question. It helps the answers to be more accurate

After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box

I've been looking into gypsum.

Apparently it is NOT used here for water profiling but to add a bit of smoothness and a flavor bloom so to speak on the palette. Common with rye beers. At least that is what I am gathering from the brewer I spoke to yesterday. I bought a 2 gram packet for 1.79. Worth a shot if you are going for authentic. I used 1tsp for a 20 gal mash.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmin in the woods View Post
    Ok, i fell victim to the moonshiner's episode where they talk of makin GW's rye whiskey. I looked for rye locally and omg its high as a cats back. Over $25 for a 50 lb bag. Has anyone used wheat in their grain bill? Can you use rye flour instead of rye grain? Was the original recipe for GW's 60% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley? Any tried and true recipes out there w/ rye or wheat ?
    Me, too. I haven't priced rye in my area, but when you think about it, $3 for a batch doesn't sound too bad. I found malted barley on Amazon (don't remember the price). And I have some leftover corn chops (cracked corn). So we're close. Can we do it as a sugarhead and just have the grains flavor the mash? Would alpha amylase help with any of the starch conversion? Mix a little of the old with new technology? I'm willing to try this.
    Muadib
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I was going to do a GW batch of beer but our feed store ran out of Rye for some reason. Made me think how many other people had the same idea.

I found some at the local food coop for about 1.00 a pound so I ended up using this recipe for my beer until I can get a big bag of Rye.

20 gallon batch
    28 lbs flaked corn
    03 lbs flaked rye
    04 lbs flaked wheat
    08 lbs malted barley
    20 gal water
    1tsp gypsum

Rye seems like it is the spicy ingredient. At least thats what I got when I stirred it into the mash.

Mixed up the mash and pre-mashed with a cup of malted barley and boiling water to a watery outmeal like thickness.
    When temp was 155 throughout I added the malted barley. Let it convert for a few hours.
    Stirred it multiple times over a few hour period. Topped off first thing in the morning and pitched 1 packet of wheat yeast just to help a little.
    By afternoon there was a decent cap.

I ended up using yeast just as a precaution.

Today is day 2 and a nice big cap that seems a bit angry. So conversion seemed like it worked.
    Last edited by boxholland; 01-21-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Anyone try a finished product for this recipe? This needs just a single distill as well?

THey do 2 runs for the finished product, seperating the hearts from the first run for their special "directors cut" at 102proof. This is what we would be keeping on a small scale yet you would be looking at around 150-160 proof done right.

If you do your first run slow there is no need to do 2 runs and you'd have a true GW whiskEy.

Here's a blog
    http://makinggeorgewashingtonswhiskey.blogspot.com/

BTW haven't tried it. yet
    Last edited by boxholland; 01-24-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmin in the woods View Post
    Over $25 for a 50 lb bag.
    I just got a 50 lb bag of rye grain today for $20, tax included.
    Muadib
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

First off, where are you guys finding flaked grains? I've tried the local feed producers and struck out. Then the rye I found is about 250 miles away; my brother found it where he lives, but it has to be ordered. Corn, cracked corn, wheat, milo is easy around here...the flaked grains and rye are tough. I see where rye flour is sold by walmart, i may try that for a small run. I checked out the blog...$95.00 for a pint of unaged rye!!!!??? OMG, who says there isnt money in this stuff!! lol
    Farmin