Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Column Still Height?

Default Column Still Height?

Is there a certain height columns should be? or a formula to determine the correct height?

Corn,

In "Making Gin & Vodka" John Stone says, "The rule of thumb is that the height of a column should be at least 15x its diameter...." (emphasis added). So based on his thumb rule, if your column was 3 inches in diameter, you would want a height of at least 45 inches.

--JB

Lecanto florida now; but moving to hawiaii after lottery payment

John does he say anything about gain if the column is longer. I have a 1 foot extension on my 3 inch ps2. I use that part to install the sensor to activate the relay that automatically switches from 220 to 110. But that extra foot is also packed with copper mesh.
    1-----Dont hesitate to ask any question. All questions help us all to keep sharp.
    2---- Put lots of information in your question. It helps the answers to be more accurate

After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box

What type of switch are you using? That's a good idea!

I have a K type sensor that is connected to a pid control which activates or de activates a solid state relay .
    The ssr is set up to de activate a mechanical relay. When power is applied to the assembly, the normally open mechanical relay is activated connecting the still 6kw element to 220 volts. When the sensor detects heat at the base of the colums it de activates the mechanical relay. In the de activated position the relay sends 120 volts to the 220 volt element whic now becomes 1500 watts. A variac reduces the voltage to control the drip rate.

I want to set it up so the control mechanism turns on the cooling water at the same time 120 voltsis applied. The mechanism is in process of being remounted on a plexi glass sheet so dont laugh too much at the photo

1-----Dont hesitate to ask any question. All questions help us all to keep sharp.
    2---- Put lots of information in your question. It helps the answers to be more accurate

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    John does he say anything about gain if the column is longer.
    First and foremost, it's great to see you posting again, Scotty!

John Stone, Making Gin & Vodka:
    The higher the column the better (within reason), because it provides a larger number of solid/vapour interfaces up the length of the column and therefore more re-distillations. Two and a half to three feet is convenient but you won’t wish to go much over 3 ft. or you will hit the ceiling!
    He doesn't give any actual numbers/equations.

My column is 5 feet I have about 7 inches of space to hit the roof of the porch. I reall like this place because of what it was becoming. It will get there again with the help of serious posters.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    My column is 5 feet I have about 7 inches of space to hit the roof of the porch. I reall like this place because of what it was becoming. It will get there again with the help of serious posters.
    Hi Scotty,
    I read on the HD forum that one of the members had added a section to his ps2hc column and also doubled the length of the condenser. He also made some other mods to remove the bung at the top and to the water control system. I think by doing this he was able to get his abv up around 94% to 95%. Is your set up similar to this? I also like that the forum is getting back on track (thanks Rick).
    Todd

Soundslike you are talking about the SWEEDE. But so many of thos guys are super techs in so many areas. My rig is nothing out of theordinary. It is the brewhaus 3 inch. I replaced the tower water lines with copper tubing to have them in series. I stole tat idea from that SWAMPER CAJUN bayou ruler. I still have the bung on top. All my setup has is a couple of thermometers attached to it.

Todd I was just thinking about having doubled the length of the condenser. I am a die hard adhering to the concept of both fermenting and distilling as slow as possible

I also have cold supply water if i choose to use that instead of my closed loop radiator cooling system.

What i'm geting at is ((((What do you think made the fella make his condenser longer????)))) I dont really know possibly because he runs fast .

I know that if i want to make distilled water i cant knock down all the steam.
    Last edited by scotty; 10-19-2012 at 05:54 AM.