Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cracked vs whole kernel vs flaked corn

Default cracked vs whole kernel vs flaked corn

I've read about using all of these. Flaked is the easiest, followed by cracked, and then whole kernel.

I'm a beer maker, and have a grain crusher (corona mill).

I look online and it's 52.99 plus shipping for flaked maize, and it's ~$12 for 50 lbs of cracked or whole kernel corn at my local feed store. Because of this I'm more inclined to give the feed store a go.

Malting corn, removing the endosperms, drying, then crushing sounds like a pain in the butt but I'll give it a go if I'm convinced it's worth it. If it isn't can I substitute cracked corn for the same volume of flaked corn in a recipe.

Basically I want to be convinced I shouldn't buy flaked maize/corn and should go with the local feed store. Thoughts? (fyi I know not to get corn coated in anything)

Im about to try whole corn for the first time. Only been using corn meal since its cheap and taught me how my still works. I'll let ya know what I find. Kinda a newbie myself.

Flaked will do anything most of us want. Why not just use the Tried and true recipes and once you've made em a few times you will be able to see the difference between them.
    The feedstore cracked corn will do but is gonna have extra goodies like rocks and dirt and cob bits, none of that will kill your wash or even be noticed in your likker but it just the idea I guess.
    The flaked you get from the brewshop will be clean and do all you expect. But again try em all and let us know what YOU find works best for you.

Default Cracked corn

The feed store stuff works for me but I do buy the 50 lb bags of 6 row malt for the conversion. Never tried the high dollar flaked corn. It might be the ticket for some good drink.

The flaked corn is pre-gelatinized but not malted. So the advantage it you don't have to cook it you just have to bring it up to mash temp and then add your malt of choice.
    Easier to work with doesn't neccesarily mean any difference in end product. But i could see the time savings being worth the money for some people.

Flaked corn shouldn't be confused with corn flakes which contain malted barley. Too bad they weren't cheap.

Lecanto florida now; but moving to hawiaii after lottery payment

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahyeah View Post
    The flaked corn is pre-gelatinized but not malted. So the advantage it you don't have to cook it you just have to bring it up to mash temp and then add your malt of choice.
    Easier to work with doesn't neccesarily mean any difference in end product. But i could see the time savings being worth the money for some people.

Flaked corn shouldn't be confused with corn flakes which contain malted barley. Too bad they weren't cheap.
    I will second this post. In reading about converting corn to alcohol for fuel. The book says the whole corn must be steeped at 120 degrees for 48 hours to soften it enough to get at the starch for the conversion. So cracked needs to be softened too I would have to conclude.

The flaked has the starch READILY available for us and seems to be the best choice. JUST INFO THAT I HAVE READ
    1-----Dont hesitate to ask any question. All questions help us all to keep sharp.
    2---- Put lots of information in your question. It helps the answers to be more accurate

After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box

Default Cracked

The cracked can be gelatinized after a boiling cook of two hours or better. Ive never used whole corn straight out of the bin. I do remember as a kid we had to soak the whole corn overnight before slopping the hogs. Good info to have if that's all that's available.( whole corn )

I used whole corn last time ground up in my blender and did not soak it. I ended up with a lower SG then expected so added sugar and did it as the classic corn/sugar shine recipe. Recovering the grain from the second ferment i tried chewing a little and noticed there is still some ungelled pieces. Next time i think i will bring it up to around mash temp and leave it for 24 hours. Then cook it and mash it.

Lecanto florida now; but moving to hawiaii after lottery payment

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahyeah View Post
    I used whole corn last time ground up in my blender and did not soak it. I ended up with a lower SG then expected so added sugar and did it as the classic corn/sugar shine recipe. Recovering the grain from the second ferment i tried chewing a little and noticed there is still some ungelled pieces. Next time i think i will bring it up to around mash temp and leave it for 24 hours. Then cook it and mash it.

What are you going to use for malt??
    1-----Dont hesitate to ask any question. All questions help us all to keep sharp.
    2---- Put lots of information in your question. It helps the answers to be more accurate

After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box

On the all grain batch i used mostly 6 row with some "roasted malt grain" which looks like barley to me. The finished distillate tasted(to me) suspiciously like Makers 46.

Last time i used just 6 row but then changed it to a "popcorn sutton" style sour mash when i realized my corn hadnt cooked enough and i didn't make my expected sg. Next time i corn a "bourbon" mash i will do the mix again of 6 row and roasted. But i havent decided if i will do a bourbon next or maybe a mostly rye with 6 row malt. Got 70lbs of corn and 45lbs of rye sitting around...decisions...decisions.

How much do you guys all ferment at a time? I do 20 gals and seem to get 3-4 quarts of nice hearts from that.