Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: essence

Default essence

Forgive my ignorance but I need to learn, hence, I will ask the question.

Do we buy "essence" in a bottle and then after the "run" is finished, we add essence (flavoring) to give our neutral sprit a flavor to our liking or MUST it be added during the distillation process?

Lecanto florida now; but moving to hawiaii after lottery payment

What are you trying to make? I believe telling us that will get you more responces.
    1-----Dont hesitate to ask any question. All questions help us all to keep sharp.
    2---- Put lots of information in your question. It helps the answers to be more accurate

After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box

I'm not trying to "make" anything. I would simply like to know how one goes about using an essence. Is it used during the fermentation process? Is it used during the distillation process? Is it used after the distillation process? Is it used after the spirit has been proofed? How is it used; I have never heard of this until I saw it advertised.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I need to learn, hence, I will ask the question.

Do we buy "essence" in a bottle and then after the "run" is finished, we add essence (flavoring) to give our neutral sprit a flavor to our liking or MUST it be added during the distillation process?
    add it to the finished neutral alcohol.
    BAYOU ETHANOL
    Ethanol Fuel Producer
    AFP-LA-15027

Thanks Bayou.

KGB

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Sounds highly plausible. Not much Essence gonna make it through the distilling process. That is how God handles rain water i.e. steam distillation. You will not taste any radiation from Japan if you run it through a distiller. Now this is just a wild guess of course. Flavoring should be an end process would seem like. This be especially true for them with reflux stills.Only thing which come out on the far end is Everclear or so Mr. Bayou says..or at least a reasonable facsimile. I want to make Sour Mash Whiskey. which has been aged for a decade or so. Do you reckon there is any hope for folks like this? Now I can slug on some Vodky is that is all there is:}
    Hi BigWheel,

I too would like to make Sour Mash but it appears that I will need to crawl before I can play in tall grass with big dogs. I must first get a handle on the *process* before I "go out on my own" and try more elaborate things. Terminology is different, quite lengthy, and often confusing. I have a lot to learn.

I just tried something new last night. Using 6.5 gallons of water, I turned on the heat and brought 5 pounds of flaked corn (pre-gelatinized) to 150F deg and added 1.5 pounds of 6 row Barley pale to the mix. I then turned off the heat and stirred the mix every 15 minutes for two hours and then let it set over night. It's cooled considerably and I think I can add yeast sometime today. This will be my first attempt at making alcohol from only grain. I am fairly certain that conversion is complete because my pot contains a *clear*, straw color liquid. The bottom of the pot, however, is full of solid pieces of corn and Barley. I don't know what to do at this point.

Smile

This looks like a good place to put my 2 cents worth in the forum.
    after my spirit run,I put a ( small amount ) of medium toasted chips in a quart jar and seal tightly,place in a chicken incubator at 100 degrees.
    This expands the distillate and forces it into the chips.
    Then place in freezer to suck the fluid back out. Of course here in Texas just put out in the sun during the summer.
    Repeat this process as many times as you like,it ages the mash the same as being in barrels .Then I add a little smoked scotch essence from Brewhaus.
    I will leave this Texas heat and come to Alaska next August.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by docmj View Post
    This looks like a good place to put my 2 cents worth in the forum.
    after my spirit run,I put a ( small amount ) of medium toasted chips in a quart jar and seal tightly,place in a chicken incubator at 100 degrees.
    This expands the distillate and forces it into the chips.
    Then place in freezer to suck the fluid back out. Of course here in Texas just put out in the sun during the summer.
    Repeat this process as many times as you like,it ages the mash the same as being in barrels .Then I add a little smoked scotch essence from Brewhaus.
    I will leave this Texas heat and come to Alaska next August.
    Thia process has been discussed in-dept @ The Home Distiller forum. If you are aging it on oak, you are defeating the purpose by adding the essence. Might as well just add the essence and save the soaking. Course that's just my opinion
    BAYOU ETHANOL
    Ethanol Fuel Producer
    AFP-LA-15027

Smile

Bayou ruler,
    I agree with you 100 %
    Am still experminting with the recipe.
    Some times it turns out so good that my head hurts the next day,other times not so good.
    KGB
    Go to home distiller .org and you can get a lot of info.

KGB, Rack the clear off the solids into a secondary tank, cover the top and put a air lock on it and let it clear again.